It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Turbo vacuum solenoid replacement?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:07 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:33 am
Posts: 421
Location: Central KY
Anyone know of options for the Mopar part number 4606226AC? EVERYWHERE I've checked for months on end they are back ordered or out of stock. I've been on the waiting list at IDParts for almost 2 years.

I've been in bypass mode and it seems to do OK but I hate having something "rigged" and the hissing noise for minutes after shutdown keeps reminding me...

Surely somebody has found some other part or application that works? I'd try and snag one at the junk yard but who knows when another CRD Liberty will show up around here, and even then it may or may not be a functional unit.

Any ideas???

_________________
2005 Liberty CRD. New rockers, exhaust valves; Provent, EGR block & butterfly delete & V6 air box at 100K

1998 XJ 4.0L, 2" lift

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo vacuum solenoid replacement?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:48 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7455
Location: Central GA
Found some listed on eBay, kinda pricey, but probably high due to availability.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... =0&_sop=15

If you Google the part number, a few Mopar web sites still show them as available, I would call to confirm availability before ordering. :google:
Also, several people have posted about parting out a Liberty diesel, so you may be able to snag a good used one.
Search on the FaceBook diesel jeep group: > https://www.facebook.com/groups/libertydiesels/

You can also just bypass the vacuum solenoid. Its only function is to hold the vacuum in the small vacuum chamber for the turbo vane controls.
With it bypassed, just allow the engine to idle for a 30 seconds or so to build up some vacuum.

See this picture to bypass the solenoid:
Image

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo vacuum solenoid replacement?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:33 am
Posts: 421
Location: Central KY
Those ebay ones are about twice what is listed on various Mopar sites. Everywhere I've checked they are out of stock or back ordered.

Guess I'll just live with it as is til another shows up at Pull-apart.

Thanks,

_________________
2005 Liberty CRD. New rockers, exhaust valves; Provent, EGR block & butterfly delete & V6 air box at 100K

1998 XJ 4.0L, 2" lift

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo vacuum solenoid replacement?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:46 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7455
Location: Central GA
krb wrote:
Those ebay ones are about twice what is listed on various Mopar sites. Everywhere I've checked they are out of stock or back ordered.
Guess I'll just live with it as is til another shows up at Pull-apart.
Thanks,

Why not bypass it?

There are plenty of 12v vacuum solenoids available on Amazon for cheap. https://www.amazon.com/vacuum-solenoid- ... noid+valve
You may could rig one of them up to work until you get the correct part? Just be sure and get one that is normally closed. :wink:
It is just a simple open/closed valve. Power is applied to it (open) when you turn the key to the on position.

Image

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo vacuum solenoid replacement?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:12 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:08 pm
Posts: 17
Has anyone tried an evap valve off a European turbocharged car. Seems like one of those could possibly work especially if it had the same impedance. Maybe something like this: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... gJtSvD_BwE (Pierburg 9470775). Snatch one at your local junk yard with the pig tail. Of course make sure this makes sense, I don't want you burning out something in the ECM. I'd make sure the coil resistence is pretty close to the oirginal (unless that's the issue you are having).

_________________
1989 Volvo 740 Turbo M46
2004 Volvo S60R M66
2000 Volvo V70R M66
1976 Volvo 245 Wagon M46
1997 Dodge Ram 6BT NV4500
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD NSG370
1983 CX650TC
I have a turbo/manual problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo vacuum solenoid replacement?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:19 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:33 am
Posts: 421
Location: Central KY
Hmmm, I'm not opposed to making something else work. But, if all it does is store vacuum for instant turbo at startup then I'll not go to the trouble. I always let the engine warm up anyway. And since I live at the end of a gravel drive at the end of a deadend road, warm up is never an issue.

Can I just plug all the exposed ends then and go on my merry way with no worries? The hissing noise after shutdown annoys me...

Cheers,

_________________
2005 Liberty CRD. New rockers, exhaust valves; Provent, EGR block & butterfly delete & V6 air box at 100K

1998 XJ 4.0L, 2" lift

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo vacuum solenoid replacement?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 7:16 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:01 am
Posts: 91
Resurrecting this old thread…

I recently drove through some standing water and some splashed up under the hood. While there was no immediate problem, upon next engine start I got a CEL with codes P0700 and P0403. Now, while it will crank/start/move, there’s zero engine power and no shifting beyond (I think) 4th gear.

Years ago, I experienced the same combined codes and the fix was a new 4606226AC turbo vacuum solenoid and adding a little bit of fluid in the transmission. Now, of course, there are zero new solenoids to be found. I opened the hood and let it all dry out for a day and blew out the solenoid electrical connectors and various other connections. I also did the bypass shortcut WW mentions above, but there was zero improvement. I haven’t yet checked the transmission fluid level.

Does anybody know where to get a new solenoid from, or am I going to have to use eBay? Are there any other suggestions anybody can make on causes/fixes for these two codes?

Many thanks in advance for the help!

Steve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo vacuum solenoid replacement?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 12:48 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7455
Location: Central GA
1.You can bypass the vacuum solenoid if necessary, the system will work without it until you can find a suitable substitute. See picture 1. with instructions below:
2. There are some 12v vacuum solenoids used on other vehicles that could be used in place of the non-available factory solenoid with possible wiring/connector modification. See picture 2 The vacuum solenoids are on or off electrically controlled valves and do not perform any modulation.

Quote:
**Keep in mind, the only function of this solenoid is to maintain the vacuum in the small vacuum reservoir when the engine is shut down. Solenoid closes to hold vacuum so it will be available for the turbo modulator valve the next time the engine is started. With the solenoid bypassed, vacuum will not be maintained and will have to build back up when the engine is restarted.


1.
Image

2.
Image

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo vacuum solenoid replacement?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:01 am
Posts: 91
Thanks WW, I’ve always appreciated your timely responses. I tried the bypass option you mentioned, but there was no change in performance (I didn’t plug off the one now-open hose though). Do you think that means the root of the P0403 lies somewhere other than the vacuum solenoid? If yes, where?

Many thanks,

Steve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo vacuum solenoid replacement?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:42 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm
Posts: 2590
Location: America
SJBrooks wrote:
Thanks WW, I’ve always appreciated your timely responses. I tried the bypass option you mentioned, but there was no change in performance (I didn’t plug off the one now-open hose though). Do you think that means the root of the P0403 lies somewhere other than the vacuum solenoid? If yes, where?

Many thanks,

Steve


EGR code?

_________________
20 year owner of Libby CRD!
2006 LTD Bright Silver loaded with all the needed mods, CCV intact.
Equipped with HDS thermostat, plenty of heat, faster warm-ups, increased fuel mileage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo vacuum solenoid replacement?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 2:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:01 am
Posts: 91
Yes, I see where P0403 is listed as EGR-related, but the only other time I’ve dealt with that code the fix was a new turbo vacuum solenoid. Maybe that “fix” was a fluke? My whole EGR system’s been deleted/disabled/blocked off. The electrical connector that went on the old EGR cooler is capped off/siliconed over and does dangle (though ziptied off) down somewhat low on the driver’s side of the engine. I’ll check that out and report back…

In the meantime, are there any other suggestions on causes/fixes?

Steve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo vacuum solenoid replacement?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 10:32 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7455
Location: Central GA
IF the EGR valve is stuck open and allowing boost to leak backwards through the valve and be dumped into the exhaust manifold, bypassing the intake, that would cause some bad low boost issues.
A mechanical boost/pressure gauge connected to the intake manifold would go a long way in helping diagnose what your issue is.
Also,
IF the FCV is stuck partly closed, it too could limit air flow and boost entering the intake manifold. FCV's are known for the small metal operating gears stripping and hanging up keeping the FCV butterfly plate partly closed and preventing full air flow and boost pressure from entering the intake manifold.

Best option, put in a blank between the EGR valve and the exhaust feed tube to prevent any backflow leakby.
Second, remove the butterfly plate out of the FCV so it cannot affect air flow or boost pressure from entering the intake manifold.

A mechanical pressure is really your friend when trying to diagnose low boost issues.

Image

Image

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo vacuum solenoid replacement?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:05 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm
Posts: 2590
Location: America
I eliminated bother my EGRs with Sasquatch kit.

_________________
20 year owner of Libby CRD!
2006 LTD Bright Silver loaded with all the needed mods, CCV intact.
Equipped with HDS thermostat, plenty of heat, faster warm-ups, increased fuel mileage.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com