grywlfbg wrote:
Thanks for the info here. Looks like my thermostat is failing. Temp gauge isn't going as high as it used to and mileage is in the toilet (19.8 on the EVIC lately - used to be 26 around town). The waiting list for Mark's thermo looks pretty long so I'm going to buy a new OEM one and send him my current one for his fix. Once I get his installed I'll donate that one as a core for others to get Mark's version.
Do I need to do a full collant flush when I change the thermostat or can I just catch what little spills out and top it off after installing the new one?
Yeah, a bit bogged down, only have shipped 2 units out so far and have 2 more almost ready to ship. Winter weather is hard since my lathe is in the garage and hates cold starts. The capacitor type motor in the cold draws ALOT of current and has to restart several several times before it spools up. This causes the circuit breaker on the house to go several times. I really need a dedicated shop area...hopefully I can build on soon. The high for the day in Colorado springs a few days ago was 9ºF and the garage has been stayin pretty cold and uncomfortable to work in. Takes alot to heat the 2 car garage also

Mine failed and was at about 150ºF, probably the only reason it was this hot is the VH was running the whole time...also killing fuel economy by the way. A stock unit opening temp is only 176ºF and it still sits low on the needle. Even the 192ºF modified unit I make sits just barely touching the top mark slightly to the left side at a 192ºF opening temp.
I appreciate you donating to the cause, I hope to get this project spun up to a faster turn out rate soon, especially by this summer...maybe even spring late winter/spring If I get a little shop area built to work in.
Here's the pic (thanks GDE) that shows actual gauge temps for reference. The drawn in orange line is where mine sat when it had failed on my CRD.

- Mark