It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:14 pm
Posts: 2377
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
PALiftedKK wrote:
the trails that I go on, clay.... absolutely hate it! you sink in it and its a bugger to detail it. nothing a clay bar cant handle.

I don't do swamps or anything like that, but a trail with mud patches here and there, yep, yep, that's where its at! :lol:

I wont know whats in my diffs until I pop them open. the last owner seemed to like beaches. the diffs have the tag on, but not quite sold yet that theirs factory lsd bld in there. and if there is, then boy did jeep do a great job in fooling me! ive driven trucks before with lockers and my KK drives the exact same.

part off your Toyota!


The bld is pretty good. Not an alternative to lockers, but holds it's own. Helps to out wheel older 4x4s with open diffs lol. I still find that it acts more like a weak lsd.

_________________
2011 Deep Cherry Red KK - Skyslider - JBA/Bilstein Adjust-A-Strut set at 3.5" - OME 731 Rear Springs - Bilstein Rear Shocks - Al's A-arms - 245/75-16 Duratracs - Rock Liazard Super Sliders


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:42 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2663
Location: Boise, Idaho
PALiftedKK wrote:
the trails that I go on, clay.... absolutely hate it! you sink in it and its a bugger to detail it. nothing a clay bar cant handle.

I don't do swamps or anything like that, but a trail with mud patches here and there, yep, yep, that's where its at! :lol:

I wont know whats in my diffs until I pop them open. the last owner seemed to like beaches. the diffs have the tag on, but not quite sold yet that theirs factory lsd bld in there. and if there is, then boy did jeep do a great job in fooling me! ive driven trucks before with lockers and my KK drives the exact same.

part off your Toyota!


I agree mud is fun to battle through challenging spots, and the unknown of a big hole, but man, the mess is terrible, especially on my old 4runner with the top off :banghead:

You think I'll get a lot more $$ out of the Yota parted ehh?

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:45 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:14 pm
Posts: 2294
Location: Sumter, SC
PALiftedKK wrote:
the trails that I go on, clay.... absolutely hate it! you sink in it and its a bugger to detail it. nothing a clay bar cant handle.

I don't do swamps or anything like that, but a trail with mud patches here and there, yep, yep, that's where its at! :lol:

I wont know whats in my diffs until I pop them open. the last owner seemed to like beaches. the diffs have the tag on, but not quite sold yet that theirs factory lsd bld in there. and if there is, then boy did jeep do a great job in fooling me! ive driven trucks before with lockers and my KK drives the exact same.

part off your Toyota!


Just measure the wheel rotation correlated with the pinion. For ex a 4.10 ratio should move the wheel 4.1 times and have a full 360 degree turn on the pinion. For 3.73 you'll have less than 4 wheel rotations. Just align the rear pinion to a convenient marking, mark the tire with a chalk on the lowest point, just lift the rear as close as possible not to touch the ground and also mark the ground with chalk in the spot corresponding to the tire mark. Then start rotating the wheel till the pinion mark reaches back the initial spot and count the turns.

_________________
2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 11:38 pm
Posts: 44
thermorex wrote:
PALiftedKK wrote:
the trails that I go on, clay.... absolutely hate it! you sink in it and its a bugger to detail it. nothing a clay bar cant handle.

I don't do swamps or anything like that, but a trail with mud patches here and there, yep, yep, that's where its at! :lol:

I wont know whats in my diffs until I pop them open. the last owner seemed to like beaches. the diffs have the tag on, but not quite sold yet that theirs factory lsd bld in there. and if there is, then boy did jeep do a great job in fooling me! ive driven trucks before with lockers and my KK drives the exact same.

part off your Toyota!


Just measure the wheel rotation correlated with the pinion. For ex a 4.10 ratio should move the wheel 4.1 times and have a full 360 degree turn on the pinion. For 3.73 you'll have less than 4 wheel rotations. Just align the rear pinion to a convenient marking, mark the tire with a chalk on the lowest point, just lift the rear as close as possible not to touch the ground and also mark the ground with chalk in the spot corresponding to the tire mark. Then start rotating the wheel till the pinion mark reaches back the initial spot and count the turns.


And while you are doing that.... Take a peek at the other wheel. If they spin the same direction it is limited slip, opposite directions is an open diff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:28 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 1627
Location: Massachusetts
I have a DTT in my '01 7.3 4WD Excursion and our 2005 KJ CRD. Have not observed any "pulling" to one side or the other on either of these vehicles. Not sure what is wrong with yours.

DOC

_________________
2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:28 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 1627
Location: Massachusetts
I have a DTT in my '01 7.3 4WD Excursion and our 2005 KJ CRD. Have not observed any "pulling" to one side or the other on either of these vehicles. Not sure what is wrong with yours.

DOC

_________________
2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:06 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
DOC4444 wrote:
I have a DTT in my '01 7.3 4WD Excursion and our 2005 KJ CRD. Have not observed any "pulling" to one side or the other on either of these vehicles. Not sure what is wrong with yours.

DOC

X2............

Mine never pulled either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:51 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2663
Location: Boise, Idaho
hmm, now that you guys get me thinking, I guess I only notice it when I'm in 4wd :juggle: But, that's when I'm trying to hang on in ridiculously slick conditions, and that's when I read of another guy experiencing the same thing. I know the stuff DTT publishes says that one tire that's slipping (or moving faster than the other) gets more of the torque than the other tire, which makes perfect sense via the principal of momentum. So, when I'm rolling over ice covered roads (where I go it's literally like 2-3 inches thick with ruts in it) one tire is bound to spin a bit faster than the other, and then you get a difference in applied torque, and this stuff is like a skating ring smooth. Maybe I'm over worried about it? You guys had no problems while driving on lots of black ice and such?

I'll start with an Ox in the rear. Not in a huge rush to change the DTT as it did pretty good in the steep stuff with snow last elk season, and dang Ox's are spendy...

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:42 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 1627
Location: Massachusetts
I think only pulling to one side on a really smooth level road would be relevant. Rutted roads would throw you all over the place, continuously. Don't see how you could draw anything definitive from rutted roads.

DOC

_________________
2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP


Last edited by DOC4444 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2663
Location: Boise, Idaho
hmm, yeah, under acceleration on flat road in 4wd it does pull a little, that's when it made me worry, and then I broke loose easily on the skating ring. I think it's to the left. Maybe you have a strait flat section to feel for this? It happens under acceleration most noticeably.

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:33 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Mountainman wrote:
hmm, yeah, under acceleration on flat road in 4wd it does pull a little, that's when it made me worry, and then I broke loose easily on the skating ring. I think it's to the left. Maybe you have a strait flat section to feel for this? It happens under acceleration most noticeably.

Can't tell you about on-road since when ever I used 4wd on pavement was when it was ice covered and purposely had my KJ sideways for as long as possible.Having a DTT up front with unlocked ARB rear could do some major drifting on ice covered roads.

Off road it work flawlessly with the rear ARB.


Oh and have had a ARB in my KJ since '06 and never had 1 issue,always worked when I flipped those switches.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:17 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:15 am
Posts: 1439
Location: Pennsylvania -> Colorado
I was side ways today... almost kissed a curb. probably not the best place to throw it in 4x4 and have fun...

_________________
2012 Jeep Liberty KK 109k miles and stong
4" lift.
Gen 5.5 A-Arms
Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle -> Jasper for the long-term win!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com