It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Should I get rid of my diesel mercedes and get a CRD?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:42 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:35 pm
Posts: 13
I have been lurking in this forum for a couple months now, and have gotten the bug to get a Liberty CRD. I currently own a heavily Modified 1999 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel. I am seriously considering getting rid of the Mercedes and getting a Liberty CRD. I have a couple questions though:

I used to own a 1991 Jeep Cherokee, and the build quality was poor, how does the build quality of the Liberty compare with the old Cherokee's?

In terms of acceleration does a tuning box like the Predator etc, give the Liberty a huge perfomance increase? I read somewhere that it takes close to 3 seconds off the 0-60 so that would be in the 7 second range? To me that seems like a huge increase in performance. I chipped my Diesel Mercedes and it does it in about that.

I know there are the usual problems (tranny, EGR, etc) are there any other major problems that one should look out for?

I live in California so I will have to buy a used Liberty, What kind of options are must haves, and which options are just a pain?

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:19 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Mechanicsville Md
I used to own a 1991 Jeep Cherokee, and the build quality was poor, how does the build quality of the Liberty compare with the old Cherokee's?
The liberty is alot better quality.

In terms of acceleration does a tuning box like the Predator etc, give the Liberty a huge perfomance increase? I read somewhere that it takes close to 3 seconds off the 0-60 so that would be in the 7 second range? To me that seems like a huge increase in performance. I chipped my Diesel Mercedes and it does it in about that.
I have not used any performance modules.

I know there are the usual problems (tranny, EGR, etc) are there any other major problems that one should look out for?
Yea I have had mine to the dealer 13 times and still have problems. I have 34k and would never buy another.

I live in California so I will have to buy a used Liberty, What kind of options are must haves, and which options are just a pain?
Want to buy mine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:03 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:23 am
Posts: 3544
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
The modules do make about a big difference. Diesel power added a DynoMax Catback and two different modules.

Stock with the Dynomax 159 rwhp 268 #'s
Diesel Power Module 183.3 rwhp 306.6 #'s
Predator Module 183.9 rwhp 310.1 #'s

Droped 2.7 sec 0-60 and 1.8 sec 50-70

1/4 mile from 18.9 @ 72.88 to 16.9 @ 81.6 (DPM) and 17.1 @ 82.3 (Pred)

_________________
Founder of L.O.S.T.
2006 CRD Sport

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should I get rid of my diesel mercedes and get a CRD?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 282
Location: FL
E300 wrote:
...What kind of options are must haves, and which options are just a pain?

Thanks
Well, I like the tire pressure monitor option. Not the standard that just warns about pressure, but the one that gives individual psi numbers for each tire on the overhead console.

Otherwise it depends on what you want to do. Want to tow? Get the tow package. Want to off road? Get the skid plates.

_________________
Thanks,
Ken Jennings
2006 KJ Limited 4x4 CRD, Option Pkg G, Lt. Khaki, Built 1 Feb 2006
Tow Package for myself, EVIC TPM
Side Curtain Airbags for my daughter
http://www.kenjennings.cc/crd/dieselexp.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:56 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:37 am
Posts: 164
Location: Bellingham, WA
I was a little worried about build quality but it seems like its built as well if not better than most new cars.
I really having the Tire PSI on the EVIC(Over Head Console). It's just fun to look at not to mention the added benifit of knowing about a low tire psi right away.

Some people are having problems and some people have none. Sofar I haven't had any but mine only has 3500 miles on it.

To quote another forum member I love my little Tourqe Monster.

That being said I still cannot ever sell my 83 Mercedes 240D Diesel. It just has a personality that no new car has.

_________________
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited
1983 Mercedes Benz 240D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:37 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:22 pm
Posts: 413
Location: UP of Michigan
Don't get me wrong I like my CRD, but keep the Mercedes are you whacked!! :lol:

_________________
2005 Silver Limited CRD 53,000 miles
GDE EcoTune / Trans tune
PML Differential Cover/Crankcase Mod
Tal & Hadas Grill Guard/TransGo Shift Kit
V-6 AirBox/Lunar Boost & EGT
Lund Cold Weather Grill Insert
OEM updated Filter Head, Cummins Lift Pump


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:08 am
Posts: 521
Location: Greem Vally, AZ
The animals are so totally differant you can not make a comparison. I have owned quite a few MB's and they are very reliable but terribly expensive to repair. They are not worth a hoot off-road but will give great on-road comfort and economy which you will not get in a Liberty.

Your just can not compare....you either want a Jeep or not. The CRD is one of the most fun cars to drive I have had in a long time but it is what it is......and it ain't a MB.

_________________
2006 Libery Sport CRD, Lt Kakhi, nicely equipped
*****GDE Hot Tune at 38,879 miles
*****Stock TC.....for the time being!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should I get rid of my diesel mercedes and get a CRD?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:31 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:10 pm
Posts: 621
Location: Indianapolis, IN
E300 wrote:
Should I get rid of my diesel mercedes and get a CRD?


no.

_________________
'05 CRD Sport born on 06/20/05, bought on 9/23/05, L.O.S.T. on 9/27/05 - modding ever since:

Daystar 2.0" Lift, P255/70R16 Revos, Boulder Bars, Reese Front Hitch w/9k Hooks, Poison Spyder Rock Ring, MOPAR Skids/Bug Shield/Roof Rails/Mats, WARN Hitch Shackle(Rear), 10k Hitch Hook(Front), Custom Tilt/Slope Meter, Ammo Box Mod, Rotella T 5W-40.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:38 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Look at my sig. That is probably as fast as it gets.

_________________
2005 CRD Sport
Mods: Glasspack, OME HD Struts & Springs, 2" Daystar lift,
255/70/16 General Grabber AT2's on MOAB's
ORM&EHM with great success!
TJM T17 Bumper, 50W KC HID's
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should I get rid of my diesel mercedes and get a CRD?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:40 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:10 pm
Posts: 621
Location: Indianapolis, IN
alljeep wrote:
E300 wrote:
Should I get rid of my diesel mercedes and get a CRD?


no.


Let me expand my answer. No, because I think you will be happier with the new Diesel MB powered Jeep Grand Cherokee due to start production in mid January of 2007. Purchase it new in another state, with the help of a relative, then get it titled in California after it hits 7,500 miles.

_________________
'05 CRD Sport born on 06/20/05, bought on 9/23/05, L.O.S.T. on 9/27/05 - modding ever since:

Daystar 2.0" Lift, P255/70R16 Revos, Boulder Bars, Reese Front Hitch w/9k Hooks, Poison Spyder Rock Ring, MOPAR Skids/Bug Shield/Roof Rails/Mats, WARN Hitch Shackle(Rear), 10k Hitch Hook(Front), Custom Tilt/Slope Meter, Ammo Box Mod, Rotella T 5W-40.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should I get rid of my diesel mercedes and get a CRD?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:51 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:16 pm
Posts: 282
Location: Upper Midwest USA
alljeep wrote:
alljeep wrote:
E300 wrote:
Should I get rid of my diesel mercedes and get a CRD?


no.


Let me expand my answer. No, because I think you will be happier with the new Diesel MB powered Jeep Grand Cherokee due to start production in mid January of 2007. Purchase it new in another state, with the help of a relative, then get it titled in California after it hits 7,500 miles.


Yup, the new Grand CRD gets my vote as well. I just hope it stays around longer than the Liberty CRD. I'm also interested in checking out the new VW Jetta CRD due out in '08.

_________________
2006 Liberty Limited CRD Bright Silver Metallic (NOW SOLD)
All Recalls Performed
100k extended warranty
Fumoto Oil Drain Valves (Oil Pan & Transfer Case)
V6 Airbox Mod
New Driveshaft, New EGR
2003 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, Bright Blue
2007 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 Door, Red Rock Crystal Pearl WOW!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:32 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:01 am
Posts: 63
Location: Willimantic Ct
I owned a 1988 Cherokee. I would surly say that the build quality is much better. Not that there are not some issues. However if you have been lurking, you are probaly very aware of these issues.

As for the Mercedes. I agree that The CRD and the E300 and very different and its hard it make a direct comparision. If it were me and I could do so. I would keep the E300 and purchase a CRD...

_________________
2005 Liberty CRD Sport Silver
Full MOPAR Skids
Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift
235/75/16 Cooper Discover ATR
www.stephenallcroft.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:51 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:29 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Tigard, Oregon
IMHO, unless you need the CRD for towing or 4wheeling...... by all means keep the MB.

Just curious...... what kind of mods have you done to your MB?

_________________
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:35 pm
Posts: 13
wow the consensus is the keep the Mercedes.....Maybe I will keep the Mercedes and also purchase a high mileage Liberty. I heard the new Grand Cherokee's diesel motor will be an all aluminum block, which to me means reduced longevity, due to the high combustion chamber temperatures you see in a diesel.


So with the power module you only took .3 seconds off your 0-60?

Maybe if I can find a CRD Liberty around the 12-15k range I will pick one up. I can't believe there are so many problems with this truck, this motor has been around in Europe for a long time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:08 am
Posts: 521
Location: Greem Vally, AZ
I'm not so sure there are that many problems with the CRD, we just keep discussing variations about the same 3 to 4 items quite often. Could be wrong but that's my take in the short time I've been a member.

_________________
2006 Libery Sport CRD, Lt Kakhi, nicely equipped
*****GDE Hot Tune at 38,879 miles
*****Stock TC.....for the time being!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 282
Location: FL
litton wrote:
I'm not so sure there are that many problems with the CRD, we just keep discussing variations about the same 3 to 4 items quite often. Could be wrong but that's my take in the short time I've been a member.


1) Crappy EGR
2) Crappy Torque Converter
3) Crappy OEM Tires
4) Crappy Air Intake Box
5) Crappy Dealer Repairs
6) Crappy Jiffy Lube work
7) Causes for crappy mileage
8 ) Why every other suv is crap next to a CRD ;-)

_________________
Thanks,
Ken Jennings
2006 KJ Limited 4x4 CRD, Option Pkg G, Lt. Khaki, Built 1 Feb 2006
Tow Package for myself, EVIC TPM
Side Curtain Airbags for my daughter
http://www.kenjennings.cc/crd/dieselexp.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:19 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 4:27 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: Dayton, OH
I bought a CRD knowing all of the potential problems. There is nothing out there that compares to the CRD for what we wanted.

All of the problems the CRD has can, and I believe, will be overcome in time. Either through the efforts of DC or the efforts of individual owners or the aftermarket crowd. If someone wants it bad enough it will happen.

People are telling you to stick with the Mercedes only because it doesnt make much sense to try and compare the two vehicles, if you must go offroad or tow something then that would be the only reason to change, unless you just must have a liberty.

You already have the diesel bug, and if you like a little more creature comforts it may be a good idea to wait for the diesel grand to come out it could be a super fine ride.

With all that said I still think you should get a CRD 8)

_________________
It may be that your only purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:27 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 1465
Location: Kent, OH
E300 wrote:
wow the consensus is the keep the Mercedes.....Maybe I will keep the Mercedes and also purchase a high mileage Liberty. I heard the new Grand Cherokee's diesel motor will be an all aluminum block, which to me means reduced longevity, due to the high combustion chamber temperatures you see in a diesel.

Using an aluminum block (and heads) should improve longevity through improved cooling efficiency. It will also have cast iron cylinders like most other diesels. Most newly designed car engines are going aluminum for the weight savings and thermal efficiency. This is going to be a very nice engine if DC doesn't blow the install and product support.

E300 wrote:
Maybe if I can find a CRD Liberty around the 12-15k range I will pick one up. I can't believe there are so many problems with this truck, this motor has been around in Europe for a long time.

It's not the engine, it's the way it was installed and the rest of truck which includes the entire support network from DC through the dealer. As you are reading look at the scramble to find extended warranties, a good indication of owner confidence (or lack there-of). It will probably be a couple of years before you find one of these in that price range. Hopefully, by that time there will be enough aftermarket fixes available. Until then, keep your Benz!

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport CRD, Lt Khaki, sunroof

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:19 pm
Posts: 39
Location: New Jersey
litton wrote:
I'm not so sure there are that many problems with the CRD, we just keep discussing variations about the same 3 to 4 items quite often. Could be wrong but that's my take in the short time I've been a member.


We have 15,000 trouble free miles on our CRD. It is a great vhicle with excellent build quality. We've owned BMW, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Chevy, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles. The Jeep Liberty is my favorite vehicle so far... excluding my KTM of course :lol: .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should I get rid of my diesel mercedes and get a CRD?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:43 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:21 am
Posts: 1
Location: Glyndon MD 21071
[quote="E300"]I have been lurking in this forum for a couple months now, and have gotten the bug to get a Liberty CRD. I currently own a heavily Modified 1999 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel. I am seriously considering getting rid of the Mercedes and getting a Liberty CRD. I have a couple questions though:

I traded my 1986 300SDL for the liberty,,, I really miss the old girl...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com