It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: How much smoke is normal?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:00 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:02 am
Posts: 506
Location: Berlin, CT
OK I've owned the thing for 2 years, but I never drive BEHIND it. Following my wife (no passengers), it was smoking a noticeable amount going up hills. And serious amounts of brown/grey smoke came out accelerating away from a construction slow-down. Not enough to hide James Bond, but enough to block the liscence plate. So what is normal?

We haven't had biodiesel in there for a month now (mea culpa). And it isn't particularly cold out, that brownish stuff didn't look anything like it was condensing in the cold. I ran injection cleaner through there went we ran out of the BioD as a precaution, but could it be dirty injectors? Also, changed air filter 3k ago. We're due for an oil change, we're at 18k on it. Wife drained the battery recently :evil: (it took back the charge) but the wife said that "it does that alot, even before THE INCIDENT". Also, could it be that I'm used to the lower particulates/sulfer etc from 100% ASTM BioD and this is what you get with dirty diesel?

I kinda like it, actually, as long as it's normal. Drop a muffler and add some straight pipes = muy macho!

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport CRD w/all the fixings
Elephant Hose, MAF (ORM), Amsoil Airfilter, nice when I get to drive it
1 EGRreplacement, but never again.
99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:10 am
Posts: 634
Location: Laurel, MD
I have found that where you get teh Diesel fuel has something to do with the amount of smoke. Mine only smokes when I punch it, but I use BP power blend diesel fuel. I have found that lower quality diesel fuels cause more smoke.

Is the jeep running okay otherwise? If it is running normal and has plenty of power then I wouldn't be too concerned. If it is loosing power and smoking then it could be a failing EGR.

_________________
06.5 Jetta TDI PKG 2 - Silver/Anth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:02 am
Posts: 506
Location: Berlin, CT
PLease,don't even say EGR! Already had one at 13k.

Maybe I just need to calm down and stop being such a fuss about this Jeep. But I love it so...

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport CRD w/all the fixings
Elephant Hose, MAF (ORM), Amsoil Airfilter, nice when I get to drive it
1 EGRreplacement, but never again.
99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:57 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:23 am
Posts: 3544
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
EGREGREGREGREGR...........EGREGREGR.........EGREGREGR
EGR..................................EGR.........EGR........EGR........EGR
EGR................................EGR............EGR.......EGR.........EGR
EGR...............................EGR..........................EGR.........EGR
EGREGREGR...................EGR..........................EGR.......EGR
EGR................................EGR.........EGREGR....EGR...EGR
EGR.................................EGR...........EGR.......EGR.....EGR
EGR...................................EGR......EGR..........EGR........EGR
EGREGREGREGREGR...............EGREGR............EGR..........EGR


Anyone out there named E"GREG"R??? If so, no CRD for you!

_________________
Founder of L.O.S.T.
2006 CRD Sport

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph


Last edited by DarbyWalters on Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:12 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:10 am
Posts: 634
Location: Laurel, MD
DarbyWalters wrote:
EGREGREGREGREGR...........EGREGREGR..........EGREGREGR
EGR..................................EGR.........EGR........EGR.........EGR
EGR................................EGR............EGR.......EGR.........EGR
EGR...............................EGR..........................EGR........EGR
EGREGREGR...................EGR..........................EGR.......EGR
EGR................................EGR.........EGREGR....EGR...EGR
EGR.................................EGR...........EGR.......EGR.....EGR
EGR...................................EGR......EGR..........EGR........EGR
EGREGREGREGREGR...............EGREGR............EGR..........EGR


Anyone out there named E"GREG"R??? If so, no CRD for you!


Nice...LOL

_________________
06.5 Jetta TDI PKG 2 - Silver/Anth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:51 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:56 am
Posts: 1773
Location: Detroit or Ypsilanti, MI
BiodieselJeep.com wrote:
Maybe I just need to calm down and stop being such a fuss about this Jeep.

I've recently started to just say "Screw It" with mine as well. Just drive it and don't worry. :D

Although mine doesn't put out that much smoke. I only see it at night in people's headlights when I floor it... and since ULSD is going around, barely at all. Never seen much of anything in the daytime.

There was that one time I saw a lot of it... however that diesel was crap... smoky, knocky and it made the engine feel like a 3 cylinder. Glad I didn't have much of it...

_________________
Me - '17 KL Trailhawk 4x4, Rhino, P245/65R17 Destination A/Ts, Stock Skids, waiting for mods...
Sis - '18 Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4 - Black - Dents - Scratches - STOCK


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:22 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:02 am
Posts: 506
Location: Berlin, CT
Darby, as The King said, "Don't Be Cruel". darn EGR. Lets hope not.

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport CRD w/all the fixings
Elephant Hose, MAF (ORM), Amsoil Airfilter, nice when I get to drive it
1 EGRreplacement, but never again.
99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com