LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

How much smoke is normal?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14401
Page 1 of 1

Author:  BiodieselJeep.com [ Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:00 am ]
Post subject:  How much smoke is normal?

OK I've owned the thing for 2 years, but I never drive BEHIND it. Following my wife (no passengers), it was smoking a noticeable amount going up hills. And serious amounts of brown/grey smoke came out accelerating away from a construction slow-down. Not enough to hide James Bond, but enough to block the liscence plate. So what is normal?

We haven't had biodiesel in there for a month now (mea culpa). And it isn't particularly cold out, that brownish stuff didn't look anything like it was condensing in the cold. I ran injection cleaner through there went we ran out of the BioD as a precaution, but could it be dirty injectors? Also, changed air filter 3k ago. We're due for an oil change, we're at 18k on it. Wife drained the battery recently :evil: (it took back the charge) but the wife said that "it does that alot, even before THE INCIDENT". Also, could it be that I'm used to the lower particulates/sulfer etc from 100% ASTM BioD and this is what you get with dirty diesel?

I kinda like it, actually, as long as it's normal. Drop a muffler and add some straight pipes = muy macho!

Author:  no-blue-screen [ Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have found that where you get teh Diesel fuel has something to do with the amount of smoke. Mine only smokes when I punch it, but I use BP power blend diesel fuel. I have found that lower quality diesel fuels cause more smoke.

Is the jeep running okay otherwise? If it is running normal and has plenty of power then I wouldn't be too concerned. If it is loosing power and smoking then it could be a failing EGR.

Author:  BiodieselJeep.com [ Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

PLease,don't even say EGR! Already had one at 13k.

Maybe I just need to calm down and stop being such a fuss about this Jeep. But I love it so...

Author:  DarbyWalters [ Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

EGREGREGREGREGR...........EGREGREGR.........EGREGREGR
EGR..................................EGR.........EGR........EGR........EGR
EGR................................EGR............EGR.......EGR.........EGR
EGR...............................EGR..........................EGR.........EGR
EGREGREGR...................EGR..........................EGR.......EGR
EGR................................EGR.........EGREGR....EGR...EGR
EGR.................................EGR...........EGR.......EGR.....EGR
EGR...................................EGR......EGR..........EGR........EGR
EGREGREGREGREGR...............EGREGR............EGR..........EGR


Anyone out there named E"GREG"R??? If so, no CRD for you!

Author:  no-blue-screen [ Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

DarbyWalters wrote:
EGREGREGREGREGR...........EGREGREGR..........EGREGREGR
EGR..................................EGR.........EGR........EGR.........EGR
EGR................................EGR............EGR.......EGR.........EGR
EGR...............................EGR..........................EGR........EGR
EGREGREGR...................EGR..........................EGR.......EGR
EGR................................EGR.........EGREGR....EGR...EGR
EGR.................................EGR...........EGR.......EGR.....EGR
EGR...................................EGR......EGR..........EGR........EGR
EGREGREGREGREGR...............EGREGR............EGR..........EGR


Anyone out there named E"GREG"R??? If so, no CRD for you!


Nice...LOL

Author:  Marlon_JBT [ Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:51 am ]
Post subject: 

BiodieselJeep.com wrote:
Maybe I just need to calm down and stop being such a fuss about this Jeep.

I've recently started to just say "Screw It" with mine as well. Just drive it and don't worry. :D

Although mine doesn't put out that much smoke. I only see it at night in people's headlights when I floor it... and since ULSD is going around, barely at all. Never seen much of anything in the daytime.

There was that one time I saw a lot of it... however that diesel was crap... smoky, knocky and it made the engine feel like a 3 cylinder. Glad I didn't have much of it...

Author:  BiodieselJeep.com [ Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:22 am ]
Post subject: 

Darby, as The King said, "Don't Be Cruel". darn EGR. Lets hope not.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/