It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: RPM cycling
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:19 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:13 am
Posts: 2
Location: Denver, CO
I am looking at purchasing a 2005 CRD with 24K miles. I test-drove it extensively, and noticed that when operating at constant speeds (i.e. no changes in throttle input) the RPM's "pulse" or "cycle" even on flat roads. This was observed at speeds ranging from about 20 to 40 MPH. I am worried that this observation may signal potential problems, possible due to fuel delivery, computer/software, or transmission issues.

Has anybody observed pulsing RPMs during steady-state driving conditions?

_________________
99.5 VW Jetta TDI - 103,000 miles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:37 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:46 pm
Posts: 50
All I can offer you, from personal experience, is to stay away from the CRD. Unless you want possibly the worst engineered vehicle in modern history, look for something else. Mine goes back in the shop Monday for the 63rd time in a year and a half.


Last edited by macd on Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:41 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Leavenworth, KS
I am super happy with mine so far, but the engine speed only fluctuates like that when I use cruise at a slow speed. I have noticed that the pedal is extremely sensitive as it is Drive by wire, so you may not think you are moving it enough to change much or any but if i push about 1/2 down on the pedal then its not really that much different then flooring it. Just my observations.

_________________
'06 Midnight Blue CRD Sport
Born 5-06
Mopar Skids and Tow Hooks
Deer Killer Mod
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:08 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:56 pm
Posts: 644
Lock out the OD and it will lock the converter at around 35-40 and stay locked at slower speeds once locked. BTW. I really like my CRD and have had good luck in the 28000 miles I have had it but it is an 06.

_________________
Feb/2006 Silver Sport 4x4 CRD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:53 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:52 am
Posts: 514
Location: Zionsville, IN
The engine on the CRD is solid. It's application is widely used in Europe and very reliable. That has proved to be true in the U.S. I'm only aware of one engine failure with "DarbyWalters".

For the CRD application the transmission is just not mated to the engine properly for this setup. Your most likely experiencing or noticing some tranny hiccups.

Whether that's software flash related or transmission component related is difficult to diagnose unless you ask what flashes have been done to the software TCM module and also perform the test "TDI4BY" mentioned.
I had mine completely replaced for a new 545RFE unit and new redesigned pump at 25K miles.

Barring the transmission application ill suited for the CRD, DCX has made some silly emission designs that is causing gumming up of the EGR,CAC hose, boost pressure sensor, intercooler by soot/oil. There are some "homebrew" remedies for that and having to do vigil on maintenance but it can be a PITA to deal with with a dealership if your not a wrench-jockey.

_________________
2005 Black CRD Limited w/105,000 miles
Mann Provent 200, Airbox Mod, ORM Mod
New 545RFE, TC & Redesigned pump @ 25,020 miles
New EGR Flow Control Valve @ 25,020 miles
New Transfer Case input/output seals @ 32,787 miles
SEGR Kit @ 52,000 miles
SunCoast TC and Transgo Shift Kit @ 52,000 miles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:03 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:52 am
Posts: 3442
Location: Columbus, Ohio. USA
The Liberty's build and quality are about on par with other US cars :cry: (I've been a VW buyer for years). The engine is a real work horse. Chrysler's support just plane SUCKS!!! The transmission has typical Chrysler transmission problems. The torque converter is not strong enough for the diesel engine and their answere is to derate the engine to protect the whimpy trans and TC. But there's nothing like it in the US and mine is not for sale :roll: A love-hate relationship. The sensation you felt at that speed could be air in the fuel. Being it's a 05 see if 31 recall has been done. They replace the TC and derate the engine.

_________________
Atlantic Blue 06 CRD Limited (his)
Joined by a 2000 XJ Classic (hers)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RPM cycling
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:40 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 1465
Location: Kent, OH
Mackel wrote:
I am looking at purchasing a 2005 CRD with 24K miles. I test-drove it extensively, and noticed that when operating at constant speeds (i.e. no changes in throttle input) the RPM's "pulse" or "cycle" even on flat roads. This was observed at speeds ranging from about 20 to 40 MPH. I am worried that this observation may signal potential problems, possible due to fuel delivery, computer/software, or transmission issues.

Has anybody observed pulsing RPMs during steady-state driving conditions?

Check your PM

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport CRD, Lt Khaki, sunroof

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RPM cycling
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:49 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 282
Location: FL
Mackel wrote:
I am looking at purchasing a 2005 CRD with 24K miles. I test-drove it extensively, and noticed that when operating at constant speeds (i.e. no changes in throttle input) the RPM's "pulse" or "cycle" even on flat roads. This was observed at speeds ranging from about 20 to 40 MPH. I am worried that this observation may signal potential problems, possible due to fuel delivery, computer/software, or transmission issues.

Has anybody observed pulsing RPMs during steady-state driving conditions?
I've not noticed this driving without cruise control.

At the slowest speeds supported by cruise control the rpms can fluctuate a little. By the time it gets to 40 that goes away entirely. The RPMs stay rock solid except for serious inclines.

(If you want to see RPMs fluctuate big time you should see how my wife's anemic 4 cyl Saturn Vue drives. Horrific.)

_________________
Thanks,
Ken Jennings
2006 KJ Limited 4x4 CRD, Option Pkg G, Lt. Khaki, Built 1 Feb 2006
Tow Package for myself, EVIC TPM
Side Curtain Airbags for my daughter
http://www.kenjennings.cc/crd/dieselexp.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: buy or not too buy?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:06 pm
Posts: 1201
No-- don't buy it. Run like h3ll! I love mine and would not sell it, which is a good thing because I could not get my money out if I wanted to. That is a shame-- as it is a diesel and they usually have higher resale values. This one does not seem to. I suspect it is partially because of its reliability and partially due to the higher price of diesel fuel at the moment.

I am currently looking at replacing the TC, tranny pump, flushing the tranny fluid, reflacing the tranny filters and potentially rebuilding the clutch packs in the tranny. Not to mention replacing the fuel lines that leak so much air and are causing fuel starvation issues-- because DC refuses to fix their shiz (crap fuel lines, crap TC). They WILL NOT support this vehicle and dealers practically cry when you show up. No one talks to you and everyone becomes "busy". If DC goes ahead with the 3.0 CRD Grand Cherokee-- I will be on every forum warning folks to stay well away. I personally hope that future DC diesel vehicle launches fail as people look back at this thing and refuse to buy them because of how they abandoned us-- if they do it once they will do it again. Notice that you still can't get a diesel Grand Cherokee yet? Can you say dealer pushback? Do you think any dealer wants to deal with the next round of issues and loose more customers?

I also bought an extended warranty thinking it would save me-- well I got hosed as it is useless! Just read the F37 thread for details. What good is a warranty when they decide to put cheap crap in your car and derate the engine and call it a "fix"? Then when folks call them on it-- they write back with an insulting letter stating that they don't know what the fix does-- but that the local dealer might. WTF? You issued the fix and you don't know what it does?

I am confident that Ford, GM, Toyota, even Honda are working on diesel SUV's. When they come here (diesel H3 or FJ), they might actually work. This CRD does not without my extensive involvement. I am done with Mopar and will not buy another new Jeep-- gas or otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:24 pm
Posts: 902
If you want a second opinion from a local CRD owner, contact me. I'll be driving my wife's CRD to/from Denver this week because of snowy road conditions. You can drive mine to compare or I can test drive the CRD for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:18 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:13 am
Posts: 2
Location: Denver, CO
Thanks for the informative and timely responses. Also, thanks for several PMs that I received. I can tell that this forum is comprised of some exceptionally informed, engaging and caring CRD owners.


The dealer selling this CRD has taken it to a Jeep dealership to have the problems identified and potentially corrected. However, after careful consideration, I have decided to look for a different vehicle. I'm discouraged by this b/c I really want another small-block diesel. Looks like I'll have to wait a few years.

If you know of somebody that is interested in purchasing this CRD, here are some details:

$20,588
25K miles
Limited package
Tow package
leather & sunroof & roof rack
Metallic blue paint and light gray interior

It's pretty much loaded. No Sirius. Very clean. If you want the dealer's contact info (Denver, CO) just PM me.

_________________
99.5 VW Jetta TDI - 103,000 miles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:49 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Calgary, Canada
Not that it matters - looks like you are making an alternate vehicle choice, but these are my thoughts.

If it's like mine, under very light throttle and low rpm's & speeds, holding the throttle steady, you may be feeling the EGR system coming into play. Diesel engines under light load & low throttle tend to make lots of NOX because they are burning in a very lean, hot combustion condition. So hot you actually start burning the nitrogen in the atmosphere and make nitrogen oxide, which is apparently a bad thing. The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) setup then comes into play to reduce the amount of NOX produced by injecting a small amount of exhaust into the intake air which helps reduce the combustion temps. Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I'm pretty sure when this happens on my CRD you can feel the engine output drop slightly as well as hear the note that the engine produces get 'softer' for a few seconds. The EGR then seems to cycle back off causing the reverse to happen. I've often wondered if this is unique to mine, normal for all CRD's, or maybe a sign that my EGR system is getting flakey. It's not dramatic, but I can notice it happening.

_________________
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
I know, I know, but it does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds...

2006 Liberty CRD Limited
161,000KM and going to new home soon...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:54 am
Posts: 1064
Location: WI
To all of you complaining about trade in value. Notice the asking price?????

_________________
2005 sport crd-SOLD No regrets


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:01 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:52 am
Posts: 3442
Location: Columbus, Ohio. USA
onthehunt wrote:
To all of you complaining about trade in value. Notice the asking price?????


Exactly :!: Try trading in any 1 or 2 year old car :roll:

_________________
Atlantic Blue 06 CRD Limited (his)
Joined by a 2000 XJ Classic (hers)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:38 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 1465
Location: Kent, OH
Joe Romas wrote:
onthehunt wrote:
To all of you complaining about trade in value. Notice the asking price?????


Exactly :!: Try trading in any 1 or 2 year old car :roll:

I don't see the drop in value as any worse than many other cars today. Resale value (or lack of) is really only a factor if you sell/trade/wreck a vehicle. Find a way to work through the issues so you can keep it and resale becomes irrelevant.

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport CRD, Lt Khaki, sunroof

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com