It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Faulty block heater plug
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:32 pm
Posts: 46
Location: Valencia, PA
I've been noticing that some nights the block heater wasn't working, even though it was plugged in. This is obvious since it takes about three times as many cranks to start, the engine sounds horrible when it starts, and then it starts pinging like crazy. Also, I have no nearly instantaneous heat like I have when the block heater is working correctly.

Anyways, I put a multimeter inline between the extension cord and block heater plug and found the current spiking and waning, so decided I would try a Kill A Watt inline meter and see if that gave a consistent number. By keeping the extension cord still and rotating the block heater cord (attached to the Kill A Watt with another small extension cord), I was able to make the wattage consistently drop from 396 watts to zero. I have concluded that the connection of the block heater cord and plug is flakey.

My dad's big Freightliner dump truck has a mounted male plug on the side of the truck with a spring loaded door that seems much nicer than our setup. I was thinking maybe I could install something similar.

I'm thinking of stopping at the one place near work to see if they sell such an item, but was wondering if anybody else made a similar mod.

A quick Google search found this mod that a guy did to his Ford truck:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/556437879HorcxT

I'd want something similar, although probably with less plastic.

Does anybody have any opinions about going this route, or has anybody attempted anything similar and has some advice?

Thanks a bunch.

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport CRD
P245/70R16 Firestone Destination A/T tires
Amsoil EaA201 air filter
Racor 245 fuel filter assembly (245R122) with Omega thermistor probe (TH-44044-1/4NPT-8")
Mann+Hummel ProVent 200
SEGR mod


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:48 pm
Posts: 39
I do like the ford guys solution. Just remember to tie your extension cord to something solid so if you forget to unhook it it'd just pull from the car instead of pulling from the outlet possibly damaging the cord or outlet.

I do remember seeing something about a cord reel that installs under your bumper that will pay out cord then spring it back onto a spool. As i remember it had a little light that went onto your dash just in case you forget to unhook it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: block heater cord
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:21 pm
Posts: 158
Location: Reading PA
I back in park everynight so this was my solution.

I custom cut a reqular 12 gauge extention cord and routed it underneith the vehicle so the block heater now has a plug at the rear bumper. I use a $25 Sears spring extention cord reel on the outside of the house but protected it from rain and snow.

I do not worry about my wife not unplugging since my modification will disconnect easily.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:51 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm
Posts: 1766
Location: Wisconsin Northwoods
That plug is pretty cool.

_________________
Manure green 2005 CRD sport4x4, GDE Hot tune, Cat Gut, OE skids, Draw tight hitch, Duramax lift pump, 160K on multiple varieties of fuel, XM radio, Escort live with Redline, fog light mod, GPS, Icom IC7000 all band radio call sign KC9QPF, Grabber AT2s on Soft 8s, FIA grill blanket.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:38 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:32 pm
Posts: 46
Location: Valencia, PA
Thanks for the suggestions.

I park outside, and run a cord from the house. I think me using this junky extension cord helped this fail sooner than it should have, since it has a hard plastic at the female plug that gets even more rigid when it's cold. It takes me quite some time and wiggling just to get it plugged in and unplugged, so I'm sure that doesn't help matters. I think I pulled away with the extension cord still plugged in once the first year I had the vehicle (2005), but the plug has worked fine since then.

After getting a better extension cord, I may look into the Marinco route, since after thinking about it, its plastic look would probably look decent with the Sport's plastic bumper. I'll see what's available locally and go from there though, since I'd prefer to just buy something that's readily available. I'd postpone this modification until after winter, but running back and forth to see if I was getting any current draw to the block heater last night over a period of about 10 minutes got old in a hurry.

I think mounting it on the back of the vehicle may work well too, so I may have to explore that option as well.

Once I accomplish anything, I'll be sure to post some pictures...assuming it looks clean and all. I have some other pictures I've been meaning to post anyways.


Edit: Alright, I edited my edit a bunch of times in the past 10 minutes, so here is the real information. The plug appears to be a Marinco 150BBI. Here are relevant links.

http://marinco.com/scpt/ProdPage.php?lo ... creational
http://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-Marinco ... B000NV0V8C

There is a link on Amazon to where they have one in stock, but I didn't post that, in case the link becomes invalid or something once it goes out of stock. A simple search with 150bbi should bring it up though.

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport CRD
P245/70R16 Firestone Destination A/T tires
Amsoil EaA201 air filter
Racor 245 fuel filter assembly (245R122) with Omega thermistor probe (TH-44044-1/4NPT-8")
Mann+Hummel ProVent 200
SEGR mod


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:38 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:55 pm
Posts: 759
Location: Lake Orion MI
Darn good idea!

There's a host of design issues though...

You want the opening pointing down to drain water out. If it's pointing down, it's pointed at road debris.

Marinco is good stuff, but the flat blade receptacles aren't weather and drip resistant. (I've had problems with snow on the hood melting in the garage and getting into the connection.) So that points to the boating, locking connectors (like the one on my camper). The problem with a locking connector is if you forget and drive off you just ripped apart a nice project of time and money.

So now I'm talking myself into a locking, weather resistant 20A connector (that requires a special cord - I guess I can keep a spare in the back for plugging away from home) with an integral ignition cutoff so I can't start and drive away stupid. Heck, maybe the ignition cutoff can be a battery disconnect and trickle charger...

I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. It'd be fun to do though...

_________________
2005 CRD Limited Flame Red w/ Renegade rock rails & light bar, AirLift 1000. 225/75R16 MT/R's on cheap black steel wheels, dual MOPAR subwoofers, Ipod kit & seat covers, Samco hoses - totaled and gone. 2008 WK Laredo 3.0L diesel - AirLift 1000, wife won't let me mess with it much. 2013 JK Sahara on order.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:40 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:06 pm
Posts: 610
Location: somewhere in MO
rpapkey wrote:
I do like the ford guys solution. Just remember to tie your extension cord to something solid so if you forget to unhook it it'd just pull from the car instead of pulling from the outlet possibly damaging the cord or outlet.

I do remember seeing something about a cord reel that installs under your bumper that will pay out cord then spring it back onto a spool. As i remember it had a little light that went onto your dash just in case you forget to unhook it.


I had my extension cord hung on my rolling tool cabinet. I forgot one morning to unplug it and it pulled the tool cabinet over. I needed to reorganize my tools anyway.

_________________
Sold 05 CRD Patriot Blue, hole in the roof, Trailer tow, factory skids, LSD, Saris load bars, Michelin LTX M/S
Current Bright white 2010 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 V8


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:22 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:32 pm
Posts: 46
Location: Valencia, PA
I haven't searched around further a lot yet, but did find an actual article on how to install the Marinco 150BBI.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/contents/g ... Plug%20Mod

I agree it probably isn't the most weatherproof thing, and I also am kind of wondering how durable the band connecting the cover to the receptacle is. I think it would be fine in temperate weather, but I wonder if it gets brittle in the winter, or if it stays supple.

After reading the above linked article, I went hunting on the Kussmaul website. The auto-ejector units they offer look pretty neat, but are also pretty pricey according to their price list. It would be nice to have the cord go flying out of the receptacle though when the ignition is started (assuming the solenoid doesn't fail). The Super Auto Eject with a black cover might look nice mounted on the hitch or the like (assuming one has one).

I'm still exploring my options, and may just throw a cheap male plug on my current cord until I can get something better put on in the coming week or few. For now a cheaper Marinco is the direction I'm favoring though.

Once I buy/install something, I'll be sure to post back.

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport CRD
P245/70R16 Firestone Destination A/T tires
Amsoil EaA201 air filter
Racor 245 fuel filter assembly (245R122) with Omega thermistor probe (TH-44044-1/4NPT-8")
Mann+Hummel ProVent 200
SEGR mod


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:47 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:05 pm
Posts: 28
Location: Arrowhead ,MN
kjcrd117
I had the same problem.
My electrical plug, where it ataches to the wire was faulty.The wires were broken off inside the insulation.Spent half this winter with NO block heater.Some mornings she barely started.
I have been thinking of making one of these,Basically a cord reel with reversed ends!
http://www.arcticleash.com/

_________________
2005 SPORT CRD Black
SIrius radio
Factory Skids
Locking Axle
Provent
SEGR in progress


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:40 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:32 pm
Posts: 46
Location: Valencia, PA
Trailbreaker wrote:
I have been thinking of making one of these,Basically a cord reel with reversed ends!
http://www.arcticleash.com/


Oddly enough, I was joking with the one guy from work saying, "Why don't they make retractable hose reels to put on vehicles with block heaters?". Apparently somebody does, hehe. I'll try to catch Modern Marvels tomorrow to see what they have to say about it.

My latest idea of how to proceed came while I was around my dad's '82 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham yesterday. It has one of those flip down license plate holders to hide the fill nozzle for the gasoline. I was thinking I could use one of those in conjunction with the Marinco 150BBI to make a nice stealth installation. I was thinking maybe I could even turn the license plate holder upside-down so that it is flip-up, since that'd provide a bit of a weather/moisture shield over things when it is plugged in.

I don't have a front plate, and am not sure how they are installed, but perhaps something similar could be done there?

Something to think about anyways.

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport CRD
P245/70R16 Firestone Destination A/T tires
Amsoil EaA201 air filter
Racor 245 fuel filter assembly (245R122) with Omega thermistor probe (TH-44044-1/4NPT-8")
Mann+Hummel ProVent 200
SEGR mod


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:38 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:19 pm
Posts: 422
Location: NJ/PA
The Marinco Mod works great. It's weather tight and you'll be glad not having to fumble trying to plug into that BH extension cord with cold hands.

_________________
06 CRD LIMITED- Factory Belly Armor, Hooks.
EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com