LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Paid off yet?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29718
Page 1 of 1

Author:  danoid [ Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:18 am ]
Post subject:  Paid off yet?

How many out there figure they've 'paid off' the diesel premium with fuel savings?

I tagged my diesel premium at $1240 (option price for Limited G pkg) - $600 (ABS included w/ engine but I would have bought anyways) = $640.

To help with calculating savings, I had a 2002 3.7L KJ, so I had good baseline data as to how much fuel I would have used doing the same driving.

For fuel costs I use the average weekly price of gasoline and diesel from http://www.eia.doe.gov/.

So even with the variable costs for fuel (usually higher but not always for diesel) I figure I'm saving almost $15 a tank and I 'paid off' my engine at 40,400 miles, and I've saved over 900 gallons of fuel in almost 52,000 miles of driving.

Of course the non financial benefits are that it sounds better, and the looks I get tugging my camper...

Author:  kjfishman [ Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:35 am ]
Post subject: 

Based on fuel cost alone I figure break even and on the plus side Select Trac vs command trac transfer case and much better performance. It is nice to have something unique. One of 11k in the mass produced auto world is unique.

Author:  BlackLibertyCRD [ Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

My 98 Durango 5.3L average 12 mpg on it's best tank and 16 mpg best hghway mileage. A 25 gallon tank only last a week normal use as now a 20 gallon tank last two weeks on the CRD. With that in mind I believe I'm ahead of the game even with higher diesel prices.

Author:  Reflex [ Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

Due to my long trips I figured that I had paid for my diesel premium by last June. Which was the 1.5 year mark.

Author:  nursecosmo [ Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

I got mine for less than a comparable gasser so nothing to work off. Factor in all the home brew biodiesel that it's drank and I practically have money coming out of my fuel tank.

Author:  chadhargis [ Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Towing my trailer with my wife's Honda van was getting me 14mpg.

Towing with the CRD gives me 24mpg. I figure since I bought used with only 9600 miles on the odo, and only paid $19,000....I'm ahead.

Author:  Sir Sam [ Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

For those of us who didn't buy the vehicle new this is hard to quantify, and for those of us who would never own a KJ other than for a CRD is it harder to quantify.

Essentially our CRD needs to makeup a $7500 difference over a XJ.

So looking at the calculations the CRD will take about 150,000 mils to pay for its self.

Author:  mark2m [ Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pretty large savings compared to my Wrangler. Most likely around $400.00 a month. It helps that I don't have to pay for my fuel either. I have all the Jet-A I need.

Author:  vtdog [ Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

Here is the way I have figured it. I get 40% better mpg with the crd vs my old xterra, but since diesel has, in general been 10-15% more expensive over the time I have owned it the "saving" is down to about 25%.

Here are the estimated numbers:
60k miles/16mpg (xterra)= 3750 gal x 2.75/gal=$ 10,310
60k miles/23mpg (crd)=2600 gal x 3.16/gal= $ 8216
savings= $ 2094 (10,310-8216)

crd engine $ 1,200 (based on msrp)
saving in 60k= $ 894

The above is based on estimated averages on fuel/gas cost and realized adjusted mpg for summer/winter.

In addition, since I "only" paid about 22k for my crd with a sticker of 25k what did the diesel really cost? Who knows, but the 1,200 is at least some place to start. Also, as I keep adding miles, the savings over my old xterra keep increasing.

Do these figures really work? Will the crd turn out to be a saver in the long run? WHO KNOWS?!!

Author:  crd liberty [ Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Don't know but my options were, to tow 4 down behind Motorhome,
Honda CRV( hate the car) Saturn( wasn't impressed) Jeep,
Love it can tow it can drive it. If I need can do what most of
you do, get it dirty.
Traded a 00 Toyoya 4runner for it, 100,000 miles on it, no problems
but it is not towable 4 down and plus too heavy.
15,800 difference out the door. Will I ever recover these charges?
Don't know, don't care.
With the help of this Forum, Libby is fine and I will keep it till
the wheels fall off.
LostKjs reigns

Steve
:P

Author:  chadhargis [ Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

I would not have purchased a Liberty if it had not been a CRD. I wanted a diesel, but it has to be roomy and able to tow my trailer.

Diesel econo cars often don't have a big tow rating. Big diesel trucks are overkill. There was no other diesel option in my price range as the Grand Cherokee and M-B were both WAY too expensive.

I think Jeep should come back out with a diesel Liberty or a Wrangler. They'd sell all they could make, even with a $3000 premium. Most people only care about their payment, so if you finanace an additional $3000, that will cost you about $60 per month (roughly, depends on the rate). If you save at least $60 a month on fuel (which you should over a gasser), then you'll break even every month.

Author:  05infernoCRDL [ Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

chadhargis wrote:
I would not have purchased a Liberty if it had not been a CRD. I wanted a diesel, but it has to be roomy and able to tow my trailer.

Diesel econo cars often don't have a big tow rating. Big diesel trucks are overkill. There was no other diesel option in my price range as the Grand Cherokee and M-B were both WAY too expensive.


same reasons i bought mine...if i would not have bought this truck i would have bought my MB that was totalled back and fixed it, it was a '80 300SD nice car

Author:  Sir Sam [ Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

05infernoCRDL wrote:
chadhargis wrote:
I would not have purchased a Liberty if it had not been a CRD. I wanted a diesel, but it has to be roomy and able to tow my trailer.

Diesel econo cars often don't have a big tow rating. Big diesel trucks are overkill. There was no other diesel option in my price range as the Grand Cherokee and M-B were both WAY too expensive.


same reasons i bought mine...if i would not have bought this truck i would have bought my MB that was totalled back and fixed it, it was a '80 300SD nice car


http://klode.com/Kws/Napplications/disp ... Exit=Close

Author:  05infernoCRDL [ Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sir Sam wrote:
05infernoCRDL wrote:
chadhargis wrote:
I would not have purchased a Liberty if it had not been a CRD. I wanted a diesel, but it has to be roomy and able to tow my trailer.

Diesel econo cars often don't have a big tow rating. Big diesel trucks are overkill. There was no other diesel option in my price range as the Grand Cherokee and M-B were both WAY too expensive.


same reasons i bought mine...if i would not have bought this truck i would have bought my MB that was totalled back and fixed it, it was a '80 300SD nice car


http://klode.com/Kws/Napplications/disp ... Exit=Close


that is a jem... but this was the damage to mine
Image
Image

Author:  CRDLIBERTY [ Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Question doesnt make sense

First off a gasser jeep liberty 4x4 cost maybe 7 to 8k less in real world. I could have picked one up $17,999 brand new, my liberty CRD was $26,500 sunroof added, hitch. Resale will be much much more on the crd

Author:  Reflex [ Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Question doesnt make sense

CRDLIBERTY wrote:
First off a gasser jeep liberty 4x4 cost maybe 7 to 8k less in real world. I could have picked one up $17,999 brand new, my liberty CRD was $26,500 sunroof added, hitch. Resale will be much much more on the crd

Was only a $1500 premium or so out here, but then Liberty's peroid seem to sell well here, I see them all over the place.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/