It is currently Sun Oct 11, 2026 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: I have just hit 100,000kms and have a blown turbo....?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:52 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:53 am
Posts: 64
Location: Sydney
I was driving to work the other night, barely touching the throttle and heard a massive bang.

Lost all power (similar to blowing a boost hose), turbo went from a whistle to a scream, engine knocking like crazy and more smoke coming out of the back of the car than I have ever seen come out of a car's exhaust..... ever.

Had to drive about a kilometer to get it home and oil was pouring from the turbo.

I have only JUST cracked 100,000kms and always had the car serviced. Can't believe it.

Was planning to take the KJ on a trip across the Australian "outback" at the end of the year, I might take my RAV instead!

I haven't got it to the dealer yet, arranging a tow in the next couple of days.

Anyone had a similar experience or have any clues?

The only work I have had done to the turbo was an oil hose (or pipe or something) replaced about 2 months ago.

:?: :?: :?:
?Any ideas?
:?: :?: :?:

_________________
"I'm telling you, I thought the cop was a prostitute". (Homer Simpson - Behind the Laughter - Season 11 Ep22).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm
Posts: 1766
Location: Wisconsin Northwoods
That is a very unusual occurrence. How did your oil hose get damaged in the first place?

_________________
Manure green 2005 CRD sport4x4, GDE Hot tune, Cat Gut, OE skids, Draw tight hitch, Duramax lift pump, 160K on multiple varieties of fuel, XM radio, Escort live with Redline, fog light mod, GPS, Icom IC7000 all band radio call sign KC9QPF, Grabber AT2s on Soft 8s, FIA grill blanket.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Oil line blown...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:57 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:34 am
Posts: 200
Location: Rochester, NY
I blew a hose off the CAC because I didn't tighten it well. Loud pop and lost power. Hope it is possible to just replace the oil line to the turbo.

_________________
Jim

2005 Liberty Sport Stone White
SAMCO Hoses
Provent
HHO System
In-line thermo
'95 Moto Guzzi California 1100

I learn more from my struggles than that which comes easy......
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:53 am
Posts: 64
Location: Sydney
The first repair was done because there was a slight oil leak and I had it fixed under warranty.

It sounds like there is definate damage to the turbo..... it's sounds nasty.

_________________
"I'm telling you, I thought the cop was a prostitute". (Homer Simpson - Behind the Laughter - Season 11 Ep22).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:44 pm
Posts: 612
Location: Lynchburg, Virginia
From the sounds of it, with the "engine knocking like crazy," you may have sucked bits of the blown turbo blades into the engine, which would result is extensive damage to head, pistons, valves, and maybe even the block.

I'm sooooo sorry to hear of your problem, and will keep my fingers crossed that the intercooler caught all the loose bits.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:22 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm
Posts: 1766
Location: Wisconsin Northwoods
I don't like to be negative but it sounds like more than just a blown turbo is involved.

_________________
Manure green 2005 CRD sport4x4, GDE Hot tune, Cat Gut, OE skids, Draw tight hitch, Duramax lift pump, 160K on multiple varieties of fuel, XM radio, Escort live with Redline, fog light mod, GPS, Icom IC7000 all band radio call sign KC9QPF, Grabber AT2s on Soft 8s, FIA grill blanket.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:38 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 9:35 pm
Posts: 445
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Hang on here a minute. First, if the turbo compressor (cold side) did come apart, I seriously doubt that any of it made it into the engine. This is because it has to go through the intercooler, which is full of little tiny passageways about 2 feet long.
If the turbo turbine came apart (exhaust hot side), then it just piled up inside the catalytic converter (which needs to be gutted anyway).
If the turbo bearings are bad and the wheels are scraping the sides of the housings, it is now junk. However look for a turbo rebuilder in your area and they can be rebuilt for a fraction of the cost.

Start with pulling the turbo. You could even plug the oil line and start it up without the turbo to see if the engine is really banging etc.
If it is, then something else came apart (like a glow plug, or ???).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:53 am
Posts: 64
Location: Sydney
By the amount of smoke I think there is a colapsed bearing inside and pushing oil into the cold side of the turbo then the engine. I think the knock may have come from loss of oil pressure and it was causing some bits to knock.

The pics below tell the story....
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

On the tow truck
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Sorry about the image qual.... taken on iPhone.

The colour of the smoke is definately burning oil.

It's at the dealership having an autopsy done today, just waiting to hear the verdict.

All I can say is: THANK GOD FOR EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!!!!

I would hate to hear what the bill would be, i'll find out though and post.

_________________
"I'm telling you, I thought the cop was a prostitute". (Homer Simpson - Behind the Laughter - Season 11 Ep22).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:36 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm
Posts: 1766
Location: Wisconsin Northwoods
Yeah, you are definitely burning oil. A picture says a thousand words and those words are Grey oil smoke.

_________________
Manure green 2005 CRD sport4x4, GDE Hot tune, Cat Gut, OE skids, Draw tight hitch, Duramax lift pump, 160K on multiple varieties of fuel, XM radio, Escort live with Redline, fog light mod, GPS, Icom IC7000 all band radio call sign KC9QPF, Grabber AT2s on Soft 8s, FIA grill blanket.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:37 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:01 am
Posts: 691
Location: South Africa
Yeah that's a real bummer mate, you could have hijacked someone else's
car in the basement with all that smoke :o

Oh, the stealer will tell you that you need to replace your EGR and FCV....

_________________
06 CRD LTD ( Euro )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:42 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:53 am
Posts: 64
Location: Sydney
That's great, it's all under warranty!

_________________
"I'm telling you, I thought the cop was a prostitute". (Homer Simpson - Behind the Laughter - Season 11 Ep22).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I have just hit 100,000kms and have a blown turbo....?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:38 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:42 pm
Posts: 308
Location: Rocky Mountains
KJ Ash wrote:
Lost all power (similar to blowing a boost hose), turbo went from a whistle to a scream, engine knocking like crazy and more smoke coming out of the back of the car than I have ever seen come out of a car's exhaust..... ever.
The only work I have had done to the turbo was an oil hose (or pipe or something) replaced about 2 months ago.
:?: :?: :?:
?Any ideas?
:?: :?: :?:


Wow that's too bad, have we ruled out a timing chain failure?

_________________
06 Jeep KJ CRD Sport full Mopar skids, front tow hooks, rear hitch shackle, Magnaflow muffler, Samco Sport CAC hoses, 02 Airbox mod, Unique series 42 steel wheels.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I have just hit 100,000kms and have a blown turbo....?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:30 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm
Posts: 1766
Location: Wisconsin Northwoods
blake1827 wrote:
KJ Ash wrote:
Lost all power (similar to blowing a boost hose), turbo went from a whistle to a scream, engine knocking like crazy and more smoke coming out of the back of the car than I have ever seen come out of a car's exhaust..... ever.
The only work I have had done to the turbo was an oil hose (or pipe or something) replaced about 2 months ago.
:?: :?: :?:
?Any ideas?
:?: :?: :?:


Wow that's too bad, have we ruled out a timing chain failure?



#1: The CRD does not have a timing chain.
#2: If the timing belt broke it would not run at all.

_________________
Manure green 2005 CRD sport4x4, GDE Hot tune, Cat Gut, OE skids, Draw tight hitch, Duramax lift pump, 160K on multiple varieties of fuel, XM radio, Escort live with Redline, fog light mod, GPS, Icom IC7000 all band radio call sign KC9QPF, Grabber AT2s on Soft 8s, FIA grill blanket.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:20 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:06 pm
Posts: 1201
Ouch... just put some insecticide in your oil and you can make some money charging the government to fumigate for mosquitoes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:18 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:01 am
Posts: 691
Location: South Africa
KJ Ash wrote:
By the amount of smoke I think there is a colapsed bearing inside and pushing oil into the cold side of the turbo then the engine. I think the knock may have come from loss of oil pressure and it was causing some bits to knock.

The pics below tell the story....
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

On the tow truck
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Sorry about the image qual.... taken on iPhone.

The colour of the smoke is definately burning oil.

It's at the dealership having an autopsy done today, just waiting to hear the verdict.

All I can say is: THANK GOD FOR EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!!!!

I would hate to hear what the bill would be, i'll find out though and post.


So what was the outcome of all the smoke....

_________________
06 CRD LTD ( Euro )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:31 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:53 am
Posts: 64
Location: Sydney
2 weeks on and I still don't have the car back....
There was a problem with the starter motor not engaging properly sometimes and after fixing the turbo (I'm receiving a full report why the turbo failed when I get the car back) the starter motor packed it in. Apparently a bolt had snapped off inside the engine somewhere that held a plate for the starter motor .... then.... I have had an injector fail and they are waiting on parts for that.
The service manager says he is having nightmares about my car, which is fine..... he doesn't own it!

It just one thing after another, after another.

I'll post results on turbo when I find out.

_________________
"I'm telling you, I thought the cop was a prostitute". (Homer Simpson - Behind the Laughter - Season 11 Ep22).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:50 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:31 pm
Posts: 1406
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Good thing it's under warrenty and covered otherwise I'll tell them to keep their fingers off the engine before they destroy it. Hey, wait a minute, it's your Jeep, whew, boy was I ready to fight. :-)r

_________________
2006 Black Jeep Liberty CRD Limited
K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com