| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| CCV Paranoia... http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37277 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | mackruss [ Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:20 pm ] |
| Post subject: | CCV Paranoia... |
Can the existing CCV hockey puck be modified so that a filter medium can be fitted to assist in trapping the oil without the risk of engine damage in the event of a blockage and not having a pressure relief valve. |
|
| Author: | Glend [ Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Just put in a Provent |
|
| Author: | Threeweight [ Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
It's a low pressure system. The stock CCV hose doesn't even have clamps on it. Either go with a $$ Provent with a pressure valve, or a home-made mod using a plastic container with no hose clamps. I don't see how a CCV filter system could possible generate more internal pressure within the engine/turbo than the straight CCV hose used in the stock configuration. |
|
| Author: | warp2diesel [ Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Great Point |
ATXKJ wrote: When we first started playing with Provents
someone pinched a hose - he got an CEL and it ran rough. He fixed it and everything was fine. So I expect if you had the line clog - you'd get a CEL and it'd run rough. no reason to expect damage. Now that that issue is resolved, GUINNESS can handle the rest of the problems. |
|
| Author: | ATXKJ [ Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
When we first started playing with Provents someone pinched a hose - he got an CEL and it ran rough. He fixed it and everything was fine. So I expect if you had the line clog - you'd get a CEL and it'd run rough. no reason to expect damage. |
|
| Author: | mackruss [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:22 am ] |
| Post subject: | Old Navy type.... |
Just can't seem to justify the cost of a Provent although i know that it is the best thing to do. I like the look of the Old Navy type CCV that i saw on the TDI Forum that simply replaces the oem puck and is hidden underneath the engine cover, looks stock. |
|
| Author: | geordi [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:58 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I had one of the last Old Navy ones that he made out of a solid puck of aluminum. REALLY a nice piece, I'm sad that I let it go with the Jetta. I wonder if the CRD has the same size hole, so one of those could be used? |
|
| Author: | mackruss [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:55 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
geordi wrote: I had one of the last Old Navy ones that he made out of a solid puck of aluminum. REALLY a nice piece, I'm sad that I let it go with the Jetta. I wonder if the CRD has the same size hole, so one of those could be used?
That's exactly what i would like to replicate with my engineering mate down the road from me if possible. You say it's made out of aluminum |
|
| Author: | Uffe [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:10 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
ROFL that's hilarious Sorry to see that geordi! EDIT: Why does the board make my post come before geordi? I posted mine later than he did, well obviously otherwise I wouldn't have been able to comment on his! |
|
| Author: | geordi [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:10 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Yep. Machined aluminum, it had to have been milled on a CNC machine b/c the cap was so precise in it's fit. Threaded cap had an o-ring seal, and the lower part slotted into the top of the valve cover like it was born there. The mistflow entered through a small domed inlet in the bottom of the chamber and had to pass through a donut of white plastic mesh filter material. The only exit was at the center-top, just below the cap's inner surface. That exit led down a center tube to the exit line that connected to the intake. As the interior of the puck was sloped toward the inlet hole, any oil that collected on the mesh could drain right back into the engine when it was off. In a GREAT many miles of using that, I never changed the filter media out, and never had a problem with it plugging OR with oil consumption. After 150k miles of flogging that car... It used NOT ONE DROP of oil between 5000-8000 mile changes. I'd say it works pretty well. EDIT: I don't know WHAT is wrong with the board now, but it has decided that "I cannot make another post so soon after my last post. Please try again in a 'Short While'" yet... That last post (this one) was made almost TWO HOURS AGO. So here is what I have been trying to add to the topic. Maybe THIS will work, since the board obviously isn't. |
|
| Author: | geordi [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:58 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
sfghgxhb |
|
| Author: | ATXKJ [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:30 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
FYI- old_navy was trying to design/build one of those for the CRD - but it never worked - I don't know why - but he did try it. |
|
| Author: | UFO [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:51 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
|
|
| Author: | warp2diesel [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Simple is better |
I made a modified version of the TDI Guy CCV filter/oil separator to keep the oil vapor out of my turbo and inter cooler. I stuffed it with coarse steel wool. |
|
| Author: | dgeist [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
ATXKJ wrote: FYI- old_navy was trying to design/build one of those for the CRD -
but it never worked - I don't know why - but he did try it. If I remember the conversations, it wasn't because of lack of a good design, just difficulty in lining up a prototype shop that could machine it at a reasonable price to his specs (i.e. standalone and without the puck). Any machinists should speak up and I'm sure O.N. would be willing to share his work with you (as he doesn't have a KJ anymore, I don't think). Anyone know how much a replacement puck costs? It would be helpful to have a professional opinion on the level of effort... Some of O.N.'s TDI pictures: Dan |
|
| Author: | mackruss [ Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:05 am ] |
| Post subject: | Pics |
Thanks for the pics DG, looks like stock as i said and a real neat piece of engineering from ON. |
|
| Author: | Joe Romas [ Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:39 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
geordi wrote: EDIT: I don't know WHAT is wrong with the board now, but it has decided that "I cannot make another post so soon after my last post. Please try again in a 'Short While'" yet... That last post (this one) was made almost TWO HOURS AGO.
I've had this for several days and have let Heather know. She'd added it to her list of bugs. Joe |
|
| Author: | mackruss [ Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:28 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
dgeist wrote: ATXKJ wrote: FYI- old_navy was trying to design/build one of those for the CRD - but it never worked - I don't know why - but he did try it. If I remember the conversations, it wasn't because of lack of a good design, just difficulty in lining up a prototype shop that could machine it at a reasonable price to his specs (i.e. standalone and without the puck). Any machinists should speak up and I'm sure O.N. would be willing to share his work with you (as he doesn't have a KJ anymore, I don't think). Anyone know how much a replacement puck costs? It would be helpful to have a professional opinion on the level of effort... Some of O.N.'s TDI pictures: Dan Is it possible to modify the oem puck and fit a piece of the white floor pad that ON used. |
|
| Author: | mackruss [ Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:39 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CCV Paranoia... |
mackruss wrote: Can the existing CCV hockey puck be modified so that a filter medium can be fitted to assist in trapping the oil without the risk of engine damage in the event of a blockage and not having a pressure relief valve.
Just some feedback with this, i removed the CCV puck and took the cover off to clean it out. I then stuffed a pot scourer in the puck, refitted the spring and rubber cap which i assumed to be the pressure valve and reinstalled. I'll try this until i buy the Provent which is a bit difficult for me to source in RSA. Has anyone tried this |
|
| Author: | ATXKJ [ Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:56 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
mackruss Do you have any way to tell if it's working? I installed the Provent with clear hoses - the one to the Provent turned dark (quickly) while the one from the Provent stayed clear can you put a piece of clear tubing from the CCV to the intake and see if it turns dark? |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|