LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

OT? EGR delete for VW TDi? SEGR needs developing
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38352
Page 1 of 2

Author:  UFO [ Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:59 pm ]
Post subject:  OT? EGR delete for VW TDi? SEGR needs developing

In the spirit of TurboTim, and because I have a TDi now ('01 NB), I want to figure out an SEGR for the ALH TDi engine. I would bring it up on forums.tdiclub.com except the moderators there have the attitude that emissions systems should not be altered, despite the fact that chip tuners and others have all sorts of EGR deletion. But for those not interesting in chip tuning and special hardware, they need a gizmo to drive away the dreaded CEL (nothing against our beloved ORM folks).

So it's easy to defeat the EGR. It's a matter of blocking the vacuum actuator to the valve. But presumably there is a corresponding expectation of a drop in the MAF when the actuator is commanded. So I need information on how that actuator is driven. That may be all that's necessary to adapt the SEGR idea to modifiy the VW MAF signal on EGR actuation.

Any input is welcome. I am quite unfamiliar with the VW stuff, I haven't even checked my air filter yet, but I know my intake is partially plugged and needs cleaning.

Author:  Joe Romas [ Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

I know for a fact on some early production ALH engines, 1999.5 jetta, with some computers a plate can be put on the input side of the eg cooler without throwing a cell for when you go off roading, like in the mall :lol: From what I understand it's only the ECM's that need to have the rom unsoldered to be updated.

Author:  MTB_TDI [ Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

look up "epsilonian device." That circuit has been made up already. Chip tuning is much more fun :lol:. Everytime I drive a stock TDI, (PD or not) it feels broken!!!! And the best thing of all, Same mileage!!!!

Author:  Silverdiesel [ Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:54 am ]
Post subject: 

I have been lurking on Fred's site since 2005. I love the "stories when filling at the "gas" station" excerpts!
Its that forum and my 2006 TDI Jetta that got me to buy my 06 CRD in 07..
IMO the moderators shy away from EGR deletes on that forum due to the fact that VW's are "on road" cars ( of course except for the "Tor-reg") .
Our CRD's are capable Jeeps and the term off road goes in hand. Labeling ORM's and SEGR's so predominately OFF ROAD USE ONLY excuses this forum to fully explore the advantages of EGR deletes and to show interested KJer's procedures, pros and cons and such. The ways this Jeep forum explains things even includes "return to normal" instructions (replug MAF sensor plug or plug in that SEGR bypass plug).
Some king of EGR block on my Jetta would be nice although at 65000 miles the performance has not seemed to diminish any.

Roland

PS my SEGR is OFF ROAD USE only, for the record :wink:

Author:  retmil46 [ Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:44 am ]
Post subject: 

Oh, so THAT'S why you got banned from tdiclub! :wink:

Looks like you've got the perfect trifecta now - a KJ CRD, a VW TDI, and an MB diesel. 8)

Author:  Turbo Tim [ Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:26 am ]
Post subject: 

Well I did it too! Thanks to many of you out there with TDI's, I too now own one. I convinced my wife she would look real good in a nice 2006 Jetta TDI, and so we have one. (Nice early Christmas present).
I have been looking into the EGR circuit for it and am presently researching it. Seems that if you have the Ross-Tech Vag-Com you just go into the computer and turn it off. Is that true? Anyone know for sure?
Does anyone have a copy of the electrical that I could look at?
Who knows, maybe a SEGR is needed for the TDI's.
Someone please point me in the right direction here!

Author:  DDom [ Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:12 am ]
Post subject: 

in my '01 TDI (ALH engine) i tuned my EGR to nearly near off (roughly 5%) by changing a value using VAG-Com. IIRC, on the newer PD engines, the delete is more software based via chip tuning. Are their any others running a PD thta could verify??

ddom

Author:  MTB_TDI [ Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:53 am ]
Post subject: 

Turbo Tim wrote:
Well I did it too! Thanks to many of you out there with TDI's, I too now own one. I convinced my wife she would look real good in a nice 2006 Jetta TDI, and so we have one. (Nice early Christmas present).
I have been looking into the EGR circuit for it and am presently researching it. Seems that if you have the Ross-Tech Vag-Com you just go into the computer and turn it off. Is that true? Anyone know for sure?
Does anyone have a copy of the electrical that I could look at?
Who knows, maybe a SEGR is needed for the TDI's.
Someone please point me in the right direction here!


You can not turn of the EGR via Vag-Com. As I said above. Do a search on "Epsilonian Device." That will stop your egr and not give you a CEL. Most people just chip tune the TDI to stop the egr and not get a CEL. But the epsilonian device is cheaper.

Author:  Joe Romas [ Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Turbo Tim wrote:
Well I did it too! Thanks to many of you out there with TDI's, I too now own one. I convinced my wife she would look real good in a nice 2006 Jetta TDI, and so we have one. (Nice early Christmas present).
I have been looking into the EGR circuit for it and am presently researching it. Seems that if you have the Ross-Tech Vag-Com you just go into the computer and turn it off. Is that true? Anyone know for sure?
Does anyone have a copy of the electrical that I could look at?
Who knows, maybe a SEGR is needed for the TDI's.
Someone please point me in the right direction here!


You can only turn it down, not off. And from experience the intake will still clog :roll:

Author:  UFO [ Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

retmil46 wrote:
Oh, so THAT'S why you got banned from tdiclub! :wink:

Looks like you've got the perfect trifecta now - a KJ CRD, a VW TDI, and an MB diesel. 8)
Actually I committed the egregious offense of taking some political bait. It was a temporary ban, and I post there quite a bit now. And I got the TDi for a new daily driver as I don't have the time to keep fiddling with a 25 year old car with 300k miles. I will be selling it when the weather gets warmer.

Author:  UFO [ Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

This "Epsilonian Device" seems to be a closely guarded secret. I can find no links to such a thing, only covert conversations. Any hints?

Author:  MTB_TDI [ Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

UFO wrote:
This "Epsilonian Device" seems to be a closely guarded secret. I can find no links to such a thing, only covert conversations. Any hints?


I sent you a PM. I found a schematic very quickly. Hope it helps.

Author:  panda-52 [ Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

You can only turn it down, not off. And from experience the intake will still clog :roll:[/quote]

True, turn it down and clean it every 100,000 miles when you replace the timing belt, idlers and water pump. Way easier to remove and clean than it appears to be on the CRD.

Author:  UFO [ Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yeah, I will eventually have to get that VAG-COM. I don't even have a laptop yet, then another $150 or $200 for the cable and license. In the meantime, I need a clean intake. I'm no friend of EGR; it's there to reduce the NOx, but the fact of the matter is it's a secondary pollutant, and only produces smog with a high concentration of hydrocarbons, which is now very much under control. Especially since I burn biodiesel. So I make it a matter of principle to not clog up my diesels with EGR. And I like to know the status of my engine, so I don't want a persistent CEL.

Thanks again BTW for the schematic of the VW-SEGR. It will be easy to make, much more so than the SEGR. And I may make more if others need them.

Author:  UFO [ Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: OT? EGR delete for VW TDi? SEGR needs developing

Built one, works well. A bit more sophisticated than "Epsilonian", similar to the SEGR without a FCV input and completely linear response. Problem is I cannot document any mileage change with it installed. Perhaps I need to check my intake since I cleaned it to see if the new ULSD keeps down buildup like some on TDIClub claim.

Then I can sell my VW-SEGR with the claim of no more plugged intakes, cheaper than a tune, and no CEL.

Author:  maxwellp [ Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: OT? EGR delete for VW TDi? SEGR needs developing

Put a tune on it. I did. Drives so nice now. More power, MPG went up. EGR is tuned. :pepper:

Author:  UFO [ Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: OT? EGR delete for VW TDi? SEGR needs developing

I have been following a new thread on TDIClub with interest regarding improving mileage with the ULSD 520 injectors that inject the same amount of fuel in a shorter duration. Hopefully it would be a good solution with my 11mm pump, no tune necessary.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=341990

Author:  warp2diesel [ Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: OT? EGR delete for VW TDi? SEGR needs developing

UFO wrote:
Built one, works well. A bit more sophisticated than "Epsilonian", similar to the SEGR without a FCV input and completely linear response. Problem is I cannot document any mileage change with it installed. Perhaps I need to check my intake since I cleaned it to see if the new ULSD keeps down buildup like some on TDIClub claim.

Then I can sell my VW-SEGR with the claim of no more plugged intakes, cheaper than a tune, and no CEL.


Give us a shout when you got it working well. My Wife has a '99 ALH in her New Beetle and shutting off the soot injection would be great.

Author:  UFO [ Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: OT? EGR delete for VW TDi? SEGR needs developing

warp2diesel wrote:
UFO wrote:
Built one, works well. A bit more sophisticated than "Epsilonian", similar to the SEGR without a FCV input and completely linear response. Problem is I cannot document any mileage change with it installed. Perhaps I need to check my intake since I cleaned it to see if the new ULSD keeps down buildup like some on TDIClub claim.

Then I can sell my VW-SEGR with the claim of no more plugged intakes, cheaper than a tune, and no CEL.


Give us a shout when you got it working well. My Wife has a '99 ALH in her New Beetle and shutting off the soot injection would be great.
It's done. I've been testing it over several tanks of fuel now, but it doesn't seem to give an mpg improvement. I think part of the problem is the engine warm up is slower; a partial grille block helped with that, but not enough.

Fillups 47 (1/21/12) and 48 (2/11/12) are with a grille block and the EGR disabled.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ufo/beetle

It wires into the harnessing like the SEGR, but I left it in the engine compartment. I'll look into building you one if you are interested.

Here is one picture of the install....

Image

Author:  warp2diesel [ Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: OT? EGR delete for VW TDi? SEGR needs developing

UFO wrote:
warp2diesel wrote:
UFO wrote:
Built one, works well. A bit more sophisticated than "Epsilonian", similar to the SEGR without a FCV input and completely linear response. Problem is I cannot document any mileage change with it installed. Perhaps I need to check my intake since I cleaned it to see if the new ULSD keeps down buildup like some on TDIClub claim.

Then I can sell my VW-SEGR with the claim of no more plugged intakes, cheaper than a tune, and no CEL.


Give us a shout when you got it working well. My Wife has a '99 ALH in her New Beetle and shutting off the soot injection would be great.
It's done. I've been testing it over several tanks of fuel now, but it doesn't seem to give an mpg improvement. I think part of the problem is the engine warm up is slower; a partial grille block helped with that, but not enough.

Fillups 47 (1/21/12) and 48 (2/11/12) are with a grille block and the EGR disabled.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ufo/beetle

It wires into the harnessing like the SEGR, but I left it in the engine compartment. I'll look into building you one if you are interested.

Here is one picture of the install....

Image


A neat kit with a Printed Circuit Board and a layout drawing would be great. A build your own SEGR that is hard wired looks like a rats nest ready to fail to be polite. With my big hands and the right equipment, I can solder the chips, resistors, diode into a printed circuit board, but a hard wired board is hard to get the tiny wires into place. I built an SEGR for my CRD but never finished it. If the CRD SEGR has a layout drawing that shows what goes where so I don't have to reverse engineer it, I will buy one for the price listed. Paying the same for the TDI SEGR would not be a problem. :2cents:

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/