| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Oil indicator http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39636 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Topan [ Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Oil indicator |
I noticed since a few days that my oil indicator is slightly lighten. Slighly because I can see a vague orange light while driving at night. Nothing during day time. My guess is that the other lights from the dashboard are peeping through the oil indicator. Anyone has a hint on how to fix this? .... Needless to say that my oil level is fine, I've checked a few times |
|
| Author: | warp2diesel [ Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:20 pm ] |
| Post subject: | How dark is it over there? |
Sometimes current can bleed through the electronics and create a dim glow in the offending light. When a plug or fuse is dirty, corroded, or loose and one ground circuit is not properly grounded it can make some current ground through a bulb or LED and cause the glow. I had this problem on VWs and the problem went away after unplugging and replugging. Removing the instrument cluster from a KJ is not that tough, no need to remove steering wheel or worry about air bag slapping you in the face like some other cars. Since you live in the Alps, you have problems with electrolysis that other parts of the world do not have a clue of. Check your grounding straps. One product available in Europe is Wurth Rustoff, over here you need to buy a life time supply to meet the minimum order. Good luck. |
|
| Author: | Topan [ Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:34 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Real dark on this side of the planete! Do you remove the dashboard by below? Am pretty sure your analysis is correct. |
|
| Author: | warp2diesel [ Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:03 am ] |
| Post subject: | What I remember |
I popped off the quick release stuff from just below the instrument cluster to expose any screws. Then I removed the plastic parts from the front. I tilted the steering wheel to make accessing the screws easier as needed, you will move it more than once. When I got to the instrument cluster, it was obvious where the screws were and it came out. What was nice was that there was no speedometer cable to fight to get off. I have cussed out speedometer cables and the engineers who designed them many times on older cars. Aren't modern electronics wonderful. Test before you fully reassemble, even if you need to drive around for a night before you put the rest together. |
|
| Author: | tonycrd [ Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:51 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I just took mine out to replace some bulbs, check this: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26151 |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|