It is currently Sat Oct 10, 2026 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Have you removed the plastic engine cover?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 20 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 16 ]
Only 600+ thread count for my engine! 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Pat Buchanan 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 40
Author Message
 Post subject: Plastic Engine Cover
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:22 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:03 pm
Posts: 1866
Location: Houston, TX
It has been 95+ degrees here in South Louisiana for about the last 2 weeks. I am wondering how many of you out there have ditched the plastic engine cover. I've noticed a decrease in my mpg and engine performance with the increase in heat.

What is the good, the bad, and the ugly of putting the cover in the recycle bin?

_________________
In this war of lines, so many have been crossed. Where will it all stop?

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:42 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 am
Posts: 254
Location: Bethesda, MD
on my 300sd i removed the liner on the hood (was falling apart) about 2 years later the clear coat started to peel on the hood directly over the engine. Its there as a heat / noise shield. The paint on the jeep might be better... not sure. I have mine off right now because i was working on it (just didn't put it back on yet) but will put it back on soon

_________________
2005 Liberty CRD
235/75R16 Firestone Destination's, Fumoto Valve
Boiler's Aluminum Roof Rack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:06 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:29 am
Posts: 553
Location: Tolleson, Arizona
Cover on and it stays on -I see it as better protection to keep heat away from sensitive areas--

But check this:

My jeep is at an ASE Certified shop right now for work on the ABS system- certified tech opens the hood and says "What does CRD stand for?" and "this Liberty really has a diesel?"

So go figgure--

Roland

_________________
2006 CRD LTD 2.8L VM Motori turbo,CAC, 100K-new timing belt
ORM-SEGR, Trans cooler, CLIII hitch front/rear, Journey HD controller
Mopar skids,"Stone Soup" rails, KK clevis fork 1" mild lift w/Daystar stops
215x85 LRD BFG Commercial A/T's, Rola Rack, V6 airbox, Fumoto valve
10K winch, B5 Biodiesel (ULSD CP3 lube)
Its a Diesel baby!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:10 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 am
Posts: 254
Location: Bethesda, MD
i would take it somewhere else then. when i was looking for a shop i always asked them if they knew how to start a diesel. all of them would say "YES". Then i would ask (how then?). 60% would say you just crank it.

_________________
2005 Liberty CRD
235/75R16 Firestone Destination's, Fumoto Valve
Boiler's Aluminum Roof Rack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:32 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:29 am
Posts: 553
Location: Tolleson, Arizona
Maybe this was a certified ABS only tech-
Since problem is not engine/545rfe related I am going to try to work with these guys--

Umm start a diesel- turn key, mash go pedal,look to see who you just smoked out! -- JK!!--

_________________
2006 CRD LTD 2.8L VM Motori turbo,CAC, 100K-new timing belt
ORM-SEGR, Trans cooler, CLIII hitch front/rear, Journey HD controller
Mopar skids,"Stone Soup" rails, KK clevis fork 1" mild lift w/Daystar stops
215x85 LRD BFG Commercial A/T's, Rola Rack, V6 airbox, Fumoto valve
10K winch, B5 Biodiesel (ULSD CP3 lube)
Its a Diesel baby!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:36 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 am
Posts: 254
Location: Bethesda, MD
that's true. although I'm even worried about the trip from the parking spot to the bay! I may be paranoid but even when getting new tires i just bring the wheels. I load them up in the back of the truck and drive over with them. Cant mess up something thats not there! :o

_________________
2005 Liberty CRD
235/75R16 Firestone Destination's, Fumoto Valve
Boiler's Aluminum Roof Rack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:39 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:51 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Madison, AL
Quote:
I've noticed a decrease in my mpg and engine performance with the increase in heat.


You should have a significant decrease in your fuel consumption right now because it can't leave the driveway without your ECM :-)r
Lettuce know when you get it back with the Green touch.
BTW, my cover stays on unless performing maint.

_________________
Solar Yellow 2001 TJ Sport 4.0 auto 4X4
White 2006 Liberty Limited 2.8 CRD 4X4...SOLD 4-21-2012


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:41 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:51 pm
Posts: 6302
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
In the case of our CRD and probably 50% of the USA, those guys weren't that wrong. The need for the glow plugs isn't that significant during much of the year for the lower 48. Personally, I don't even SEE the glow plug light most of the year, because Florida has only 2 seasons: summer and Canadians. Winter? Thats for other states.

As far as the engine covers... I DO suggest the under-hood cover, the paint on any vehicle isn't strong enough to put up with that baking heat from underneath. The top cover of the engine however... It's somewhere in my garage. Pulled it shortly after buying the CRD. I want to SEE my beautiful engine when I open the lid, not another lid!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:43 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 am
Posts: 254
Location: Bethesda, MD
agreed. although i HAVE had a DEALER blow out my starter because he didn't know how to start it. Fun times getting them replace it for free. I miss that car :( RIP Old Rusty

_________________
2005 Liberty CRD
235/75R16 Firestone Destination's, Fumoto Valve
Boiler's Aluminum Roof Rack


Last edited by ribbon on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:46 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:31 pm
Posts: 1406
Location: Camano Island, Washington
I don't know if I can answer the poll if it ask if I did both.

If I removed it's off
If I kept it's on

Well mine is on anyway. I don't know what harm it's doing, mine never run hot even pulling a steep grade while towing.

_________________
2006 Black Jeep Liberty CRD Limited
K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:47 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:31 pm
Posts: 1406
Location: Camano Island, Washington
I don't know if I can answer the poll if it ask if I did both.

If I removed it's off
If I kept it's on

Well mine is on anyway. I don't know what harm it's doing, mine never run hot even pulling a steep grade while towing.

_________________
2006 Black Jeep Liberty CRD Limited
K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:10 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:51 pm
Posts: 151
Location: Palm City, FL
I did not vote due to the ambiguity of the phrasing, but my engine cover is on the rafters of my shed.

_________________
2005 CRD rolled August 2009


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:00 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 2523
Location: LOST in Wisconsin
I voted, yes, but could have easily voted no. :shock:

I removed the engine cover 3 years ago. Its hanging on the wall in my garage. I believe its only purpose was sound reduction, and I wan't my tractor to sound like a tractor.

_________________
2005 CRD "Ol' Blue"
Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time.
My build page- RL Komodo Rear and TJM Front Bumper, armored, lifted, JBA Steel D30, 4.10s and ARB air lockers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:14 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:12 pm
Posts: 134
Location: North Carolina
I don't even remember where my cover is at this moment. I took it off 2 years ago, mainly because the grit and grime collected at the oil filler and I was afraid it would sprinkle in when changing the oil.

No paint damage.

_________________
2005 CRD Limited - Inferno Red - 152,000 miles
-GDE EcoTune -
-Gasser Airbox -
-Cummins Intank Lift Pump-
-Fumoto Drain Valve-
-Samco Red Hoses-


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:31 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:21 pm
Posts: 3092
Location: Texas
I removed that vanity-shield sop for soccer moms'n'dads - Diesels (and wimmin) are for manly men......................

_________________
'05 CRD Limited
Pricol EGT, Boost
GDE Hot '11; EDGE Trail switched
SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:55 pm
Posts: 414
Location: CANADA
Winter on, summer off.

_________________
06 LIMITED 100000miles, MAGNAFLOW, HOMEBUILT CCV FILTER, POLAR PAD, 02 AIRBOX, CUMMINS LIFT PUMP, SEGR, PILLAR GAUGE POD, CAT FILTER MONITOR, SPYDER TRAX, ALWAYS A LITTLE TWO STROKE OIL OR BIO, WATER/METH INJECTION


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:54 am
Posts: 1064
Location: WI
Quote:
Winter on, summer off.


X2

_________________
2005 sport crd-SOLD No regrets


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:46 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:03 pm
Posts: 1866
Location: Houston, TX
bugnout wrote:
I voted, yes, but could have easily voted no. :shock:



Hehhhhh. Hilarious. Why didn't you and honey_don't just pick the 600 thread count? :P

*Note to self, check grammar to avoid flaming, or wear Nomex. . . * :shock:

Thank you for the input. I tried to edit, but I can't seem to edit the poll itself. Oh well. I believe that mine will be coming off then.

But would I still then be keeping it. . . ? :?

_________________
In this war of lines, so many have been crossed. Where will it all stop?

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:17 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 1776
Location: Metairie,Mt.Hermon La.
I ended up going with th 600,just cause I got a lil confused. :D
Thanks for asking,I was wondering myself.
Would the engine bay have somewhat cooler temps due to better air circulation?
Also wondered about the paint.
Seem's paint is good,What about bay temp?

_________________
Bub
06 Inop Edition CRD Silver
06 Inop Edition CRD Green


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm
Posts: 1766
Location: Wisconsin Northwoods
Mine is off for several reasons. #1: A diesel engine should be heard and appreaciated. #2: I like to see my engine. #3: It collects a lot of crud underneath it, as well as having oil seep out from the oil filler and look like crap. I can't see how it could possibly help with engine cooling with all that fiber insulation and virtually no space for airflow underneath it.

_________________
Manure green 2005 CRD sport4x4, GDE Hot tune, Cat Gut, OE skids, Draw tight hitch, Duramax lift pump, 160K on multiple varieties of fuel, XM radio, Escort live with Redline, fog light mod, GPS, Icom IC7000 all band radio call sign KC9QPF, Grabber AT2s on Soft 8s, FIA grill blanket.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com