| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Power loss & CEL http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44203 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | AZ CRD [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:19 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Power loss & CEL |
Whilst driving from Phoenix to Cloudcroft, NM experienced a sudden though gradual loss of power doing about 80 mph on I-10 outside of Deming, NM [about 98F outside temp]. The cruise control was set and the CRD slowed to 70 mph and held there. Depressing the go pedal did nothing. Eventually it downshifted out of OD and the RPM's went up but the vehicle moved no faster. Pulled over, let it cool at idle a few minutes, then cycled the engine. Back to nromal for about 25 miles when it happened again. This time it stalled and threw a CEL as I pulled over and slowed down. Again, cycled the engine and the problem went away. Engine running temp was normal and no other warning lights so we continued on our way. Occured several more time but we made it to Cloudcroft (elevation 8,750ft) for the parents' 50th anniversary celebration. I'm thinking air in fuel system just based on what I've read here. Have an appointment tomorrow at 0700 at the Las Cruces stealership. Any advice on what to tell them to do other than not to reflash my Inmotion improved ECU? Other relevant info is SEGR installed, was running EHM which I returned to stock so as not to have to explain it to them, and I last had the fuel filter changed at 20K miles--I'm at 41K now. Run B50 most of the time but the problem occured while running about B5. TIA |
|
| Author: | naturist [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:23 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I suspect the fuel filter. 20,000 miles is less than Jeep said it should last, but I've found that 15,000 miles is safer. |
|
| Author: | Joe Romas [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:51 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
X2 on the filter Before taking a recent 1600 mile vacation trip towing our 17' 3500# travel trailer I changed the fuel filter. It had slightly less then 12k miles on it. Being curious I cut it open and unwound several feet of media. I found a black substance covering it. I mentioned it to my son-in-law who works on diesel buses for the local transit authority. He was familiar with the problem but did not know exactly why it happens. It seems it's a "common" problem on "common" rail engines and it's got something to do with the excess fuel from the rail going back to the tank. The filter people want you to change the filters more often and the special addative company wants you to buy their addative at $2000 per 55 gallon drum |
|
| Author: | ATXKJ [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
also at 98 outside - if the tank was low - you could be building up heat in the fuel - there's some fuel temp limit - that will reduce power. (don't remember the number) |
|
| Author: | Turbo Tim [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
It's also possible that you have a small but growing hole in one of your intercooler hoses. The engine could be loosing boost thus the loss of power. Something else to check. |
|
| Author: | AZ CRD [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thank you gentlemen. I'll let folks know what code it threw and what the outcome is. One other question--should I disconnect the SEGR box and return it to stock with the "by-pass plug" or whatever it's called before taking it in? |
|
| Author: | Turbo Tim [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:42 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
If you have everything to bypass the SEGR, then I would do it. No use trying to explain anything. I have no faith in stealerships. |
|
| Author: | AZ CRD [ Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:53 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Made it back to AZ finally. The code it threw was P0093. The tech called some Chrysler tech help line and they had him install clear hoses into and out of the filter assembly. The fuel flowing out was completely aerated. They claim that they detected no leaks anywhere but that the fuel filter seemed loose. So, six hours later and $250 poorer we hit the road. No problems back to PHX. I think I will install a fuel pump soon and will store some KY in my road emergency kit. |
|
| Author: | Joe Romas [ Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:31 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I'm glade the rest of your trip was unevenfull but your dealer visit tells me support now has gotten the word about air in the fuel but still does not have a handle on the real cause. Your visit would have bought a cummins lift pump and several cases of your favorite beveage |
|
| Author: | CATCRD [ Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:09 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
If they had just changed the fuel filter, the problem would likely have gone away. The bubbles were caused by the CP3 sucking through a restricted fuel filter and vaporizing bubbles of fuel. It wasn't air being drawn in from outside. Seen it many times in fuel injector test stands with draw-through filters and clear fuel lines. Install a lift pump and keep a spare fuel filter in the Jeep. |
|
| Author: | warp2diesel [ Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:23 pm ] |
| Post subject: | High Fuel temp will... |
...exacerbate other problems like vacuum air leaks. Filter replacement, fixing leaks, and putting in a lift pump will get rid of the foam caused by air (been there done them all). Installing a fuel cooler will drop the fuel temp and allow you to operate at high ambient temps. I can tell the difference my fuel cooler makes up here in the northern Midwest when it gets over 85F, I would bet at +100f, it would help more. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|