LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49757
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Big Montana [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:12 pm ]
Post subject:  oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

So I was changing my oil today and checking stuff out under the jeep. I have an oil leak under the turbo that seems to run down a line from the turbo and collect in my skid plate. It has not left a spot of the driveway yet. I hope it's new. I notice nothing wrong with the performance, no new noise and the MPG is normal. All I have noticed is that a little white smoke comes out at startup, but it is also really cold out these days, so I figured that was it. What do you guys think this is? I have been reading posts about blowing seals on the turbo something or other. I will put pics on here is a second... I have no idea at this moment how to do it.

Author:  Big Montana [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

Image
Image
Image

Author:  Big Montana [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

I have yet to do the EHM or the GDE tune. I have been running the ORM for about three months though.

Author:  stoutdog [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

That CAC hose looks disgusting! Time for some Samcos or a new OEM hose :dizzy:

As for the oil all over the place, I have no clue... I hope it's not a seal, as that can be pricey :(.

Author:  flman [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

Is that the turbo oil return line leaking?

Author:  Big Montana [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

flman wrote:
Is that the turbo oil return line leaking?


I think that is what it is. It comes straight out of the back and underside of the turbo. I didn't know that turbos needed to be oiled... I know nothing about turbos by the way. It could be oil leaking from the hoses going into the turbo which seems obvious as the hoses are original (76,000 miles) and I've never EHMed.


I have NO loss of power though, and I have no extra noises anywhere in the engine that could indicate blown seals... once again though, I know nothing about turbos.

I only get white smoke on cold startup after work. I plug it in at night and it starts clean.

The top of the turbo looks clean. I should have had a better pic of it. I may take the airbox off if I have more time and check out the leak further.

Author:  LibertyCRD [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

It is the turbo oil line. Mine is leaking like that too. But it's not marking the driveway yet, so I'm just going to ignore it until it does.

Author:  flman [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

LibertyCRD wrote:
It is the turbo oil line. Mine is leaking like that too. But it's not marking the driveway yet, so I'm just going to ignore it until it does.


A man after my own heart, that is what I would do too. Cummins has been dripping on the floor for years. :jester:

Author:  Big Montana [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

Oh good. So I don't need to worry about a blowout?

Is the seal able to be replaced though or is it a whole turbo replacement kind of thing?

I was going to provent / GDE / and replace my hoses this summer. I may do the seal if the turbo is open at that point anyway.

Author:  LibertyCRD [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

I'm not sure how those attach actually. They appear to be a pressed fitting to me, but somebody with a shop manual will have to look that up. Looks to me like it would be a real pain to repair. That's why I hope mine never gets worse.

Author:  geordi [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

The oil seal inside the turbo is not serviceable. What I would suspect is that since your CAC hose is so nasty, the CCV is putting LOTS of oil into the intake, and that hose has probably rotted through to the point of weeping oil all over the engine. Gravity doing what it does, the oil migrates down the hose to the turbo, around the center cartridge of the turbo, and onto the oil return line. So it is all external. The white smoke on startup IS because it is cold out, nothing more. If you were burning the oil, it would be blue, and all the time.

The return line from the bottom of the turbo is NOT pressurized (much) and only shoves into a rubber sleeve in the side of the block. IIRC, it has a small bolt that holds it to the bottom of the turbo, with a small gasket there as well. But I'm not convinced that your return line is leaking, with all the oil on top that is providing a VERY nice supply.

Three things to do as soon as feasible: Spray down the underside of the turbo with foaming engine cleaner (you can't use too much of that stuff, but be sure to try) to clean off all that grime. Then watch for any re-accumulation, AFTER doing the second thing:

Either replace that hose with a Samco / upgraded dealer hose... Or at least pull the hose and LIBERALLY clean it inside and out with brake cleaner and foaming engine cleaner... Then wrap the stuffing out of it with the stretch-and-seal silicone tape from Home Depot. Pull of that chinese finger puzzle wrapper and save it somewhere. The silicone will protect from any abrasions until you get the new hoses.

The reason for this is simple: Your natural rubber boost hose has been eaten away from the inside by constant contact with oil, so it is now VERY porous, and the boost pressure is forcing the oil through the tiny holes, which further exacerbates the chemical damage to the hose. You ARE most likely losing boost pressure from this hose being so degraded. Wrapping it in the silicone tape gives you a solid (sort of) base for the tape, and lets the silicone re-seal what has been damaged.

The last thing to do: An EHM on that engine! Even if you only drape a long tube over the top and straight down in front of the radiator like I did temporarily, it is better than what you have now, the stock crap design.

Author:  Big Montana [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

Thanks goerdi

I know I've been lazy about the hoses. It looks like I will be pulling the trigger pretty soon. I have all the fixings for the EHM, I just didn't rig something to catch the oil yet. I don't want oil all over the place if it gets that bad. Next weekend, I'll put the EHM on.

I'm going to search the forum to check prices on the hoses.

Author:  LibertyCRD [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

FWIW... I've had my EHM on for weeks now and I have ZERO dripping in my driveway. I will always run the EHM as opposed to the ProVent because of A) cost savings and B) convenience.

I intend to clean my turbo really good with engine degreaser and wash it down soon. Then I can see if my EHM has maybe stopped oil from getting around the turbo. I sort of was thinking that as a possibility too.

Author:  Big Montana [ Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

Alright! I'm doing the EHM this weekend. Thanks guys. I am happy for the info.

Author:  ac5501 [ Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

Sounds like its the exact same thing that happend to mine. This was right after the government said they would back all Chrysler and GM warranties, but before they announced which dealerships would close. So I figure my dealer wanted to stick it to Chrysler for as much warranty work as they could. They ended up replacing the turbo, hoses, and a bunch of other stuff.

Author:  Big Montana [ Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

I wish I hadn't missed out. My dealer just charged me for a service they didn't do (never removed the front skid plate for a front dif clean) and over filed my crank with oil (7.6 qts) then said it was fine.

Author:  kccrd [ Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

There is a very thin gasket on the under side of the turbo that lets oil drain back into the side of the block. If you clean all that oil off you will see the two bolts that go into the bottom of the turbo. When you take those out that will allow you to move the metal drain tube out of the way to get to that gasket. The tube goes into the side of the block and it pulls straight out with a small amount of wiggle back and forth be carful not to damage that rubber seal that sits in the block. It is much easier to reinstall that tube if you take the rubber seal out of the block and install it back onto the metal drain tube then wiggle it back into the hole in the block. Put your 2 bolts in the mounting that screws back into the bottom of the turbo place your new gasket over the bolts and screw them back into the bottom of the turbo do not over torque. Use some 12' or longer extensions with your rachet make it a lot easier. I just replaced my turbo a few weeks ago. Took me about 6 hours total time. Long story

Author:  SteveTC [ Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

Found the same thing on mine with 82000 miles. Found OEM replacement hoses here:
http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet/th ... let/Detail
Not a bad deal compared to Samco at $299 as i usually do not keep vehicles that long to worry about it, and maybe it will not be so bad with pressure mod.

Author:  CRD05il [ Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

They don't look like that picture at all. My would not stay on the on the turbo so I had to return them. So I would beware of them!

Author:  bigkahuna [ Fri May 13, 2016 11:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport

I may have this same issue. I bought a CRD a month ago and then 5 days later found a leak that I believed to be a leaky drain plug. After an oil and plug change I found more leaks. Took it to the local shop and he says it's from the oil return on the turbo. He's never worked on a CRD so that's all he can tell me for now. Is this a big deal or just the replacement of a hose or two?

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/