It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 790's on a 2.5 CRD...does that work?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:31 pm 
Offline
Oilburner
Oilburner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:54 am
Posts: 2788
Location: Barcelona Spain
Yes it does :-)r

My KJ on the 927's lately was 'falling' into every corner, meaning you steer into a corner and then the body sort of follows, giving you the feeling it's about to roll over. Well, not that bad but you get the idea.

The 'sports car' feeling had worn of, so it was time to stiffen things up again. I would have bought another set of 927's in a heartbeat, were it not I was offered a set of next to new 790's cheap.

Knowing the 790's in theory are not designed for the 2.5CRD I was kind of weary to put them on, thinking they might be to stiff. While mounting them I got even more worried, seeing how they are much thicker then the 927's... :shock:

Image

But...they are a little shorter too

Image

So...let's mount these monster springs and we'll see what happenes, I can always go back to 927's..

Image

I adjusted the KONI shocks (I really love these, if you have the $$, buy 'em) to 2 turns open, meaning you turn the bottom valve to as tight as you can, then 2 full turns back.

I don't have good comparison pics, but look at the space between the coils, first is 790, second the 927's, both at full droop:

Image

Image

And this is how my KJ sits now...I need another isolator in the back LOL..

Image

Angles are ok imo (Tommudd thinks so too :wink: )

Image

This is cool..yes, that's a 3" Terraflex bumstop

Image

Now...how's the ride? For me the ride is fine. No Daystar effect, floats on blacktop, does well on speed bumps and potholes, need to try it out off road and will report back.

For now I couldn't be happier :jester:

Only negative...with my lift this happens at full droop, the clevis rubs on the CV boot (sorry, made another less educated post about that...)

Image

But, we got that solved. :BANANA: My first thought was cutting the clevis, which is not such a good idea...A very good buddy of mine who now runs the same setup as me (but then with 927's) found a CV boot that has a 'notch' in it right were the clevis hits the OEM one. :goink:

Something like this:

Image

_________________
Cherokee 2,5 CRD: sold - Wrangler TJ 2.5: gone - Touareg V10 TDI: new toy

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 790's on a 2.5 CRD...does that work?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 664
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
Tony
Yes, 790 work well with CRD 2.5 (just a bit to stiff) :BANANA: . I have had mine on now for over 10K mls, the KJ corners very well just a bit bauncy. I have OME shock not KONI but still....My only problem with Boiler 3/8 top plates my allaignment is till out a lot.
Well at least I am ready for when the winch get's fitted. :juggle:

Fil :JEEPIN:

_________________
CRD 2.5 2003
Image
Snorkel
Curt Front Hitch+Warn M8000 & Cradel
Asfir Front, Gearbox,Transfer Skid + Mopar Tank Skid
BF Goodridge KM2 & General Grabbers AT 245/75R16
OME NS131&790 + NS132L&948, 3/8 Boiler Top Plate, JBA 4.5, 2 Top Rear Isolators


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 790's on a 2.5 CRD...does that work?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:55 pm 
Offline
Oilburner
Oilburner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:54 am
Posts: 2788
Location: Barcelona Spain
Fil, how can your alignment be way out when you have JBA 4.5? Mine are the 3.5 and alignment is spot on....

Hmm...come to think of it, the 3.5 and early 4.5's came with different balljoints so you had to fit a spacer...you can see it in my 927 droop pic...maybe that makes a difference?

OME shocks are....soft... I know of only me and Jinstall running the KONI's, I think there isn't a better shock on the market for the KJ CRD. (Front only! the rears are stock size...don't use them)

_________________
Cherokee 2,5 CRD: sold - Wrangler TJ 2.5: gone - Touareg V10 TDI: new toy

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 790's on a 2.5 CRD...does that work?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:17 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 664
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
Tony
No idea why i am so out on the Camber, but I am (I have posted in the past), but my KJ goes straight and for now I will wait until the 790 start sagging a bit (might tkae some time). Yes JBA are 4.5 from August, don't know the difference with your 3.5, but I fitted Boiler top 3/8 to get height but looks like it's given me took much and that is why the allignment keeps being out, I did take the clevis rings out but didn't make that much difference I am still sitting at 22in all round front and back. Still happy and makes me smile each time. Still i wish i could get rid of that vibaration between 1800 and 2100 rpm that come out occassionaly under acceleration, but that is another story...
Fil

_________________
CRD 2.5 2003
Image
Snorkel
Curt Front Hitch+Warn M8000 & Cradel
Asfir Front, Gearbox,Transfer Skid + Mopar Tank Skid
BF Goodridge KM2 & General Grabbers AT 245/75R16
OME NS131&790 + NS132L&948, 3/8 Boiler Top Plate, JBA 4.5, 2 Top Rear Isolators


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 790's on a 2.5 CRD...does that work?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:53 pm 
Offline
Oilburner
Oilburner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:54 am
Posts: 2788
Location: Barcelona Spain
The 2003 had another slip yoke then the 2002 model (came lifted higher from the factory), maybe that is where your vibration is coming from..sorry, no solution yet for that problem..

I have a 8mm top plate + a 3 ring clevis (9mm). My buddy runs the JBA plates (which are 6mm) and a 10mm clevis/OME shocks on a 2003 2.5 with no problems....

_________________
Cherokee 2,5 CRD: sold - Wrangler TJ 2.5: gone - Touareg V10 TDI: new toy

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 790's on a 2.5 CRD...does that work?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:24 am
Posts: 1520
Location: Australia
Tony, I have heard about that notched CV boot before, I think they were off of a Subaru but I can't remember who posted it.

I suppose you could grind a little off the edge of the clevis collar in that spot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 790's on a 2.5 CRD...does that work?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:46 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 664
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
tonycrd wrote:
The 2003 had another slip yoke then the 2002 model (came lifted higher from the factory), maybe that is where your vibration is coming from..sorry, no solution yet for that problem..

I have a 8mm top plate + a 3 ring clevis (9mm). My buddy runs the JBA plates (which are 6mm) and a 10mm clevis/OME shocks on a 2003 2.5 with no problems....


Tony
My CRD was built Oct 2002 (registered on the road April 2003), so it might well be it's a 2003 model and that could be the problem. Maybe change the rear drive shaft to a Petrol one !!? or a spacer to make it longer and put new U joints in.

I guess my problem is I haven't found a good enough garage to get the allignment done proparly, ie somone how ill spend more time to get it right. I have changed all the UCA bushes and Nuts so one shoudle be able. I will give it a bit longer and try and take it again to a different garage. All J sent an email out saying what is should be and I will try and push the garage to get it as close as possible too his parameters.

Fil.

_________________
CRD 2.5 2003
Image
Snorkel
Curt Front Hitch+Warn M8000 & Cradel
Asfir Front, Gearbox,Transfer Skid + Mopar Tank Skid
BF Goodridge KM2 & General Grabbers AT 245/75R16
OME NS131&790 + NS132L&948, 3/8 Boiler Top Plate, JBA 4.5, 2 Top Rear Isolators


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com