| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| engine died but was reborn http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55162 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | TJ2 [ Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:01 am ] |
| Post subject: | engine died but was reborn |
I was climbing a mountain road today and the engine died. . . suddenly. I coasted backwards to get it off the road. I turned the key off and back on. The engine started like nothing had happened. I continued my trip and was out all day. Got home and found a P0093 code and about a half dozen others. I was tired and not thinking and erased them all. The reader showed a 'code pending' yellow light when I started it back up. I test drove it around and put the reader back on it. Got a 'green light' ready for emissions signal and all trace of codes were gone. Whatever it was, the fuel was stopped completely. . . until I turned the key off and back on no more than a minute later. I had an old VW IDI (Rabbit diesel) that stopped like this when the fuel stop solenoid went out, but it stayed stopped until fixed. Any ideas? I know I shouldn't have erased the codes. . . but if they weren't any more informative than the 93 (fuel rail with no pressure) they wouldn't have been any help. TIA |
|
| Author: | Glend [ Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:15 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: engine died but was reborn |
I had a similiar problem about six months ago on a club trip in the mountains. A steep climb with many switchbacks and suddenly the engine lost all power and went into limp mode. We had a Jeep mechanic on the trip with us and he looked it over (it could not be moved as it had no power to proceed against the slope and sounded like it was running on three cyclinders). He looked at a few things, injectors, connectors, etc then said to me - "just turn it off and then start it again"! Of course it started right up and ran smoothly and like nothing ever happened. He told me that these CRDs can get into a sensor confusion state and that will make it fall into limp mode. Never happened again the whole trip, and has never happened again (well I am runing Eco tune now through). There was never any CEL light at all it just went limp. Later that day I tried to pull the codes out with my scanner at the campground but had stopped and started enough during the day that it was gone by then. |
|
| Author: | BVCRD [ Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:38 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: engine died but was reborn |
Likely it won't happen again ever. Just a glitch. |
|
| Author: | JL Rockies [ Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:53 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: engine died but was reborn |
The only time this ever happens to me is when I accidentally bump the Edge module to the #3 position and climb grades on the freeway. The engine gives a quick shudder and shuts off... the last time it happened to me it was dark, snowing and I was climbing the Vail Pass... kinda suct. The engine would would always start right up again with the trouble light rockin'. This has only happened to me 3x's or so. |
|
| Author: | flash7210 [ Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: engine died but was reborn |
Happened to me once while trying to accelerate onto the freeway. Then it happened again the next day. And again the next day. I replaced the fuel filter and it has been fine ever since. |
|
| Author: | TJ2 [ Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: engine died but was reborn |
flash7210 wrote: Happened to me once while trying to accelerate onto the freeway. Then it happened again the next day. And again the next day. I replaced the fuel filter and it has been fine ever since. Didn't you feel a general power loss? Fuel filter came to mind first, but it ran strong before and after the shut down. Guess I'll pick up a filter and keep it in the Jeep. Thanks for the replies. |
|
| Author: | flash7210 [ Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: engine died but was reborn |
TJ2 wrote: flash7210 wrote: Happened to me once while trying to accelerate onto the freeway. Then it happened again the next day. And again the next day. I replaced the fuel filter and it has been fine ever since. Didn't you feel a general power loss? Fuel filter came to mind first, but it ran strong before and after the shut down. Guess I'll pick up a filter and keep it in the Jeep. Thanks for the replies. Nope. Ran great up till engine cut out. Ran great after I restarted and continued on my trip along the interstate. I figured it was about time for a filter change anyway. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|