LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Transmission slipping or limp-in mode.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55220
Page 1 of 1

Author:  immadmacs [ Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:00 am ]
Post subject:  Transmission slipping or limp-in mode.

I noticed my transmission wasn't initially engaging in the morning about two weeks ago. Now it seems to be slipping. It has a hard time going up a steep hill and doesn't accelerate normally. I'm taking it in to get the fluid and filters replaced. I have 68k miles on it. Seems too soon for a torque converter or clutches to go out. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking it might be in limp-in mode. What are the symptoms and what causes it?

Author:  Joe Romas [ Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Transmission slipping

It's not too soon for a TC to "go out" :dizzy:

At 36k mine was replaced for intermittent shuddering while towing our camper. The tech found TC clutch material in the transmission oil pan. I guess once in there things were worse then the symptoms indicated. With a new TC, front pump and I assume filters and fluid it's vastly improved :SOMBRERO: My extended warranty service report didn't give a full listing of parts :|

It could be just filters but yours sounds worse then normal :dead:

Author:  flman [ Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Transmission slipping

Joe Romas wrote:
It's not too soon for a TC to "go out" :dizzy:

At 36k mine was replaced for intermittent shuddering while towing our camper. The tech found TC clutch material in the transmission oil pan. I guess once in there things were worse then the symptoms indicated. With a new TC, front pump and I assume filters and fluid it's vastly improved :SOMBRERO: My extended warranty service report didn't give a full listing of parts :|

It could be just filters but yours sounds worse then normal :dead:


X2 if there is that much debris in the tranny to plug up the filters, it does not sound too good. If you are lucky and we hope you are, it will only need a new TC. Good Luck.

Author:  immadmacs [ Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Transmission slipping or limp-in mode.

Yikes! Guess I'll find out on Tuesday when I take it in. Any suggestions on a torque converter brand?

Author:  Joe Romas [ Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Transmission slipping or limp-in mode.

The dealer can only get the new so called "Euro" TC as the original has been replaced by it. It is the one we should have had from the beginning. The extended warranty covered mine that was installed back in June and it works real well with the GDE "Eco full torque" tune towing our travel trailer. You can get a aftermarket Sun Coast that's made better but is over twice as much money.

Author:  flman [ Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Transmission slipping or limp-in mode.

Here is the Mopar part number for the Torque Converter # 68037142AA

This one works well with our CRDs up to 400 ft lbs of torque.

Author:  C's CRD [ Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Transmission slipping or limp-in mode.

67000 is when my TC went. When it did it also messed up the front Tran pump.

Author:  immadmacs [ Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Transmission slipping or limp-in mode.

New update. The transmission shop said it wasn't the torque converter. :D It is a clogged catalytic converter. That caused a loss of power and erratic shifting. He said he sees it a lot. Now my next question..... The converter is covered under a manufacturer warranty mandated by the EPA for 80,000 miles or 8 years. The dealership says it is covered if the maintenance is good. I've change my fluid and filters and clean the MAP religiously, but my EGR is throwing a code. So should I just clean the guts out of the converter and be on my way, or see if they will replace it?

Author:  immadmacs [ Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Transmission slipping or limp-in mode.

Ok the transmission mechanic was wrong, and I'm a dope for listening to him :oops: . It was cracked turbo hoses. I got the Samco hoses and t-clamps ( 271.64 from boostcontroller.com shipped ) and life is good again.

Author:  warp2diesel [ Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Transmission slipping or limp-in mode.

Won't hurt to change your trans fluid as PM.
Make Sure you use ATF+4 and nothing else or you will have shudder problems, even with a SunCoast converter.

Author:  boilermaker2 [ Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Transmission slipping or limp-in mode.

:dizzy: Are you sure it is just cracked turbo hoses? Delayed engagement and burst turbo hose are two different demons and many of us have had them both. :evil:

I can see the hill, hard to get up to speed, etc. but you threw me with your very first post...

Boilermaker2

Author:  immadmacs [ Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Transmission slipping or limp-in mode.

Well my next repair was a front brake job. I think they were binding initially in the morning. I haven't noticed a problem since.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/