It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Warranty almost up - what to check?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:17 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:44 pm
Posts: 150
Location: West Coast, USA
So I have to say its been about 55,000 trouble free miles (after some teething problems in the first year or so) and the CRD is about 750 miles short of being out of the 7/70,000 warranty. Its been so trouble free in fact that I am guilty of not doing much more then changing fluids the past several years...but I want to give it a good once over this weekend before its out of coverage and see if anything needs attention while its just a $100 deductible. From browsing the posts so far I have:

1) Fuel/water separator - check for leaks
2) It sips antifreeze - about a cup a month. Check for external leaks. Never been a worry except...
3) Fans - Its running hotter this summer then it has before. Pretty steady at the 12 o'clock position which seems to be normal for this engine but hotter then this particular one used to run. Lots of posts on running hot but I am going to start with the simple stuff first.
3.5) Any way to check if the t-stat is stuck open? It did seem a little slow to warm up this winter which, combined with 3, could be a stuck t-stat.
4) ???

Should I pull the intercooler hoses and check for oil? Its bone-stock. If there is oil what kind of service ticket do I get them to write?

Ball-joints?

Anything else I should check out? I realize its hard to tell if a XXX is about ready to fail, but I want to at least hit the trouble spots.

As a side note its been a great vehicle so far. The leather on the steering wheel is starting to wear (wheelskins here I come) and one of the headlights is a little cloudy, but really nothing to complain about. My lead-foot wife gets about 22-23 MPG 100% city and we took it on a 300 mile trip a few weeks ago and got 31 (both hand calc'd). My only regret is I didn't buy a second one...

Thanks in advance for any comments.

-Vic

_________________
2005 Limited CRD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warranty almost up - what to check?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:49 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:54 am
Posts: 1064
Location: WI
The antifreeze consumption would worry me.

_________________
2005 sport crd-SOLD No regrets


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com