LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Engine shuts down at highway speeds
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62595
Page 1 of 2

Author:  kswieringa [ Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Engine shuts down at highway speeds

Lately my engine just quits . I have to restart in neutral while coasting down the freeway.Not fun. Usually the outside air temp is above 95 f. and usually it is while aplying extra acceleration. It may be a complete electrical shut down as I recall my car stereo loses memory.When it first started the water temp would start climbing from 1/2 to 3/4 just before it happened. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.Any ideas?

Author:  CATCRD [ Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

I dunno about the stereo losing memory, but dying under acceleration sounds like a dirty fuel filter. When was the last time you changed yours?

Author:  kswieringa [ Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

Less than 500 miles. I have aready replaced all the obvious culprits.
Did the Fuel and air filters the first time it started.

Author:  kswieringa [ Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

CATCRD...How do you like your Suncoast TC. I have a full SC trans in my dodge and was thinking about the TC for the Libby. How much?

Author:  CRDphenox [ Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

kswieringa wrote:
CATCRD...How do you like your Suncoast TC. I have a full SC trans in my dodge and was thinking about the TC for the Libby. How much?

Lets not hijack the thread like that, the TC varries in price depending on the dealer, paid 4k for SCs entire trans kit installed.

Back to the topic, your saying the elec. Goes.aswell? Hows your alternator? The higher speed may be causing a failing clutch to not allowing the alternator to charge? Restarting the engine at idle would engage the clutch to recharge... Sounds like a crappy situation either way but thats all I can think of with the data provided, were you able.to pull any codes?

Author:  kswieringa [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

I don't usually hi jack the thread and should have pmd .But I did start the thread so I'm not bothered by it:-)

Author:  kswieringa [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

CRDphenox
I will check for codes tommorrow . I tried today wth a ELM 327 bluetooth to a usb . I coldn't get it to pair so I will use the scangauge off of my dodge.

Author:  Sir Sam [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

Image

I don't always hijack threads........but when I do I hijack my own thread.

Author:  click23 [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

Could it be the infamous wiring harness issue? It can cause a lot of strange electrical issues. Check the wiring harness that runs across the rear of the engine bay to see if there are any frayed or exposed wires.

Author:  click23 [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

Also, Didn't someone have an issue of the ECM losing ground or something like that and causing some weird problems?

Author:  boilermaker2 [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

I realize that you have replaced fuel filter and tightened it, etc. BUT it still sounds like air is getting in. Being from northern climes, how is you heater element doing? Did it finally go and now your sucking air under increased suction/fuel demand?
B2

Author:  Ajamant [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

After engine is warm, turn off and pull plug ( one on the right) to the fuel heater on fuel head. Pump the primer 1-2 times and if she bubbles/hisses/ smokes from the inside of plug like mine did then replace fuel head ASAP.

Author:  kswieringa [ Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

I do remember after the first time this happenedand I changed the filter but I didn't bleed the air, I just primed . After 700 miles I STILL had a large amount of air trapped as evidenced by using the bleeder screw.Haven't had it happen again. To few miles driven to be certain. No fuel from heater plug. Definitely the original filter unit . I will be changing it when I get back to work. Right at $100 for the new unit and pigtail.

Author:  boilermaker2 [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

6 years old and no filter change? :oops:
I'd read the noob guide and start dumping and swapping...
B2

Author:  papaindigo [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

kswieringa the responses are focusing on fuel filter but I'm concerned that your mention of a related electrical problem is being overlooked. If in fact your radio (factory or aftermarket?) lost memory, as in it forgot the time and all memorized station presets, then you lost all battery power to the "always on" circuits that protect that memory. If the shutdown at highway speed occurs again you need to double check your radio status. If it has lost memory then you need to chase down why as that's likely the cause of your shutdown.

I'm not the best on modern computerized car electrical issues but I'd start with a load test on the battery (there have been some reports of odd problems with batteries even under power where I would have thought the alternator would keep everything running - something to do with like an internal battery short causing the ECU to force a shutdown - beyond that don't ask me) followed by a close look at the battery + and - cables and any ground straps from the engine to the frame. You might also check fuse #15 in the Power Distribution
Center for clean contacts, firm seating, and continuity. That's the fuse you pull for long term vehicle storage to shut down a number of systems, don't know that it relates to your issue but....

I see you have a 2005 CRD but it would still be worth looking at the ECU wiring harness and wiring along the firewall for possible chafing.

Author:  kswieringa [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

Bingo. Somebody is actually paying attention. And as for 6 years old and no filter assembly change....I haven't been on the site it quite a while so how would i know. But since I have had high performance diesel vehicles for the last 20 years fuel was the first thing I considered, hence the filter change. I have checked out the filter assembly and I have no fuel leaks, but I do notice air being trapped in the filter head . As I said earlier as soon as I can spare the $$ it WILL be changed. As I don't live in a cold climate where the fuel heater activates I am not worried about it burning down.

Author:  boilermaker2 [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

Well, my apologies, Sam's reply was REALLY distracting (I still chuckle, looking at it...)

Back to the electrical, there are several posts about the clutch pully for the alternator going bad on this site. My tensioner also went bad. One thing to do is to start it up and see what it does with EVERTHING on. If you have on Brites, A/C, Rear Defrost Heaters, Fan on High, dome lights, etc. you will deduce fairly quickly if it is the clutch/tensioner, serpentine belt area. This was how I proved the problem at the dealer 110k+ miles ago.

My concern (after re-reading your post and being distracted again by Sam's :ROTFL: ) is it screwing up with your temp gauge also spiking and radio losing memory. That makes it sound like a short. The only issue that remotely resembles this (and almost cost me a battery) was a glaze (not corrosion) that formed on the battery post and terminal of mine. Wire brushed + battery grease applied and it was back to normal. It caused the radio to lose memory but did not affect the temp gauge.

B2

Author:  papaindigo [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

I lean more toward an internal (posts possible) battery issue or a wiring problem (short included) causing a bogus temp gauge reading and, if it recurs, the radio losing memory at the same time as engine shut down. Seems to me, in all my glorious lack of expertise on the issue, that an alternator problem would result in a loss of power such that restart would not be possible although I suppose inconsistent alternator performance could result in odd feedback to the ECU and who know what engine weirdness. I may be fixating too much on the radio loss of memory but that seems to me to indicate a transient complete loss of power, not just a reduction in power, to the always on radio circuit and hence back to the issues mentioned in the first sentence and why I suggested making absolutely sure that the shutdown was accompanied by radio loss of memory.

Author:  kswieringa [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

The loss of radio power was assumed because the clock was hours off, then I remember removing the radio to hook up the DVD headrests. A buddy from a NAPA store said it may be a bad battery. I keep my battery posts clean and coated but I will check again.Thanks again

Author:  papaindigo [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Engine shuts down at highway speeds

Could be, have the battery load tested.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/