LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

In case you missed the news last night....
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62755
Page 1 of 3

Author:  onthehunt [ Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:13 am ]
Post subject:  In case you missed the news last night....

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/20 ... ssues.html

Author:  Greasey Bob [ Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

If you heat up the vegetable oil and spray it on the underside of the car then drive down a dusty road. It makes a nice layer of protection. Repeat next October. It makes a great salt and rust inhibitor. I saw this on a trip to New York years ago. I said "that is just gross, I like it". and "you did that on purpose"

I have the same stuff all over my grease filtering shead. It was not on purpose and it is not as practical, actually it is a pain in the butt. But there is the downside of burning used vegetable oil.

I do not think this news is going to help the price of CRD's go down in South Florida but I can hope. Especially since none of the 22 people complaining out 200K Jeeps got hurt.

Author:  Joe Romas [ Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

There's far more rust on the underside of my garage kept 06 KJ with 45k miles then there is on my 2000 old XJ with 154k miles :dizzy:
That big control arm thing in the rear has a fair amount of rust too :grim:
Looks like cheap recycled metal improperly protected :furious:

Author:  Doolop [ Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

Spent $25 and undercoated the whole jeep and I reapply as needed every year 2002 with 131k one it and very little rust :banana:

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Author:  geordi [ Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

I don't think there is any rust under my CRD, but at the same time, while I was in Virginia through the winter where they were hitting the roads with brine water... I was LIVING in the car wash near my work. Got it washed at least once a week, $5 including the undercarriage.

I don't wash it anywhere near as often down here in Savannah... I'm a bad owner, I usually wait until the dirt is affecting the mileage.

Author:  jeepdan [ Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

The rear, upper and lower control arms on both of my Libertys look pretty rusty on the outside. More of a concern is how bad the rear lower control arms are rusting inside the square tubular section where you can't see. :grim:

Author:  irollgen4s [ Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

the rear UCA is rusted to hell on my crd, on the outside, its not deep rust.. yet. hoping to be able to sand everything down when im in there one day and have it all freshley painted.

Author:  Cbradsh [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

Doolop wrote:
Spent $25 and undercoated the whole jeep and I reapply as needed every year 2002 with 131k one it and very little rust :banana:

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk


How do you undercoat the jeep? My jeep seemed pretty rusty the first time I changed the oil (I'm a new owner)...

Author:  ATXKJ [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

Have Fun
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=205208#p205208

(make sure you scroll through to the second page)

Author:  Doolop [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

Got mine from the south so it was cleanner than it would be if I got it back here in ohio. That and the person who ownd it before me took care of it

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Author:  papaindigo [ Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

Just got 4 BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs to replace the OEM tires that lasted 40K. Wandered under the vehicle while on the lift. Only rust was the typical found on drive shaft, they never seem to paint those, and a bit of surface rust on the big "V" shaped thing on top of the rear end. Nothing on the front suspension.

Author:  CRD Joe [ Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

No corrosion issues in Washington State... No salt on our roads.

Author:  DOC4444 [ Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

What's rusting? Control arms are aluminum?

DOC

Author:  Roostre [ Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

Its gotta be about the upper rear control arm (or V). Mine is pretty clean, but I was appalled enough at the rust on that arm that I plan to pull it out, sandblast it, and get it powder-coated.

It would be bad if that thing busted when you hit a pothole at 65 mph!! :dizzy:

Author:  thompsonCRD [ Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

interesting...

does this look like an average amount of rust for an '06 cross member? it's starting to flake off in spots

Image

Author:  Jaber [ Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

Glad I clicked on this thread lol.. Haven't really looked under there yet, not having a garage sucks.. :furious:

But I was planning on spending a weekend morning at my uncles, going over everything under there.

Author:  Roostre [ Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

thompsonCRD wrote:
interesting...

does this look like an average amount of rust for an '06 cross member? it's starting to flake off in spots

Image


Looks pretty rusty- mine still has the paint on it; just a few scratches that are rusty.

Author:  TJ2 [ Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

I was at a Chrysler dealer a couple weeks ago. I looked underneath a new Dodge monster truck (to see if it was an aftermarket lift) with a $38K price tag and saw rust on the front suspension.

Author:  BlackLibertyCRD [ Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

Roostre wrote:
thompsonCRD wrote:
interesting...

does this look like an average amount of rust for an '06 cross member? it's starting to flake off in spots

Image


Looks pretty rusty- mine still has the paint on it; just a few scratches that are rusty.


This looks like it's from salted roads from the snow belts

Author:  thompsonCRD [ Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: In case you missed the news last night....

BlackLibertyCRD wrote:
This looks like it's from salted roads from the snow belts



indeed, good ole Atlantic Canada, not to mention the previous owner lived just 200ft from the ocean :shock:

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/