| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Water Pump Impellor http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64324 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Hoosier CRD [ Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:26 am ] |
| Post subject: | Water Pump Impellor |
Hey Guys, I'm currently gathering parts for the 100K timing belt replacement. I know that the water pump is TB driven, but I'm questioning whether to replace it. A deciding factor would be the impellor material. What is the impellor made of, plastic or metal? Has anyone experienced a water pump failure? Thanks for your insight. Hoosier CRD |
|
| Author: | racertracer [ Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:59 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Water Pump Impellor |
The impeller is metal. The previous owner of my jeep experienced an undetected water pump leak that may have been the contributing factor of my head gasket failure. If you are looking to rebuild yours, you can buy a rebuilt water pump here for under $40.00. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAZ-58-656/ |
|
| Author: | Hoosier CRD [ Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:13 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Water Pump Impellor |
A leak, eh? Sounds like enough of a reason to change it with the rest of the stuff, metal impellor or not. Thanks, racetracer. Hoosier CRD |
|
| Author: | papaindigo [ Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:50 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Water Pump Impellor |
Some have replaced it with the 1st timing belt change and some have not. It adds significant time and complexity to the TB job as you have to pull at least 1 if not both cam gears to get the cover off to get access to the water pump and the pump bolts are hard to reach. I have no experience with this but do seem to remember some recent chat about leaving the pump housing in place and just swapping out the impeller section which would seem to make things a bit easier. At the minimum when you are in there for a TB job be sure to carefully check the water pump pulley for smooth action and little to no play and no leaks of grease same as for the idler pulleys. If it passes that test you can elect or not to take the risk of not replacing. At 42K I have no clue what I'll do 58K from now which at the rate I'm driving in retirement won't roll around for about 6 yrs. |
|
| Author: | striperman36 [ Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:33 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Water Pump Impellor |
papaindigo wrote: Some have replaced it with the 1st timing belt change and some have not. It adds significant time and complexity to the TB job as you have to pull at least 1 if not both cam gears to get the cover off to get access to the water pump and the pump bolts are hard to reach. I have no experience with this but do seem to remember some recent chat about leaving the pump housing in place and just swapping out the impeller section which would seem to make things a bit easier. At the minimum when you are in there for a TB job be sure to carefully check the water pump pulley for smooth action and little to no play and no leaks of grease same as for the idler pulleys. If it passes that test you can elect or not to take the risk of not replacing. At 42K I have no clue what I'll do 58K from now which at the rate I'm driving in retirement won't roll around for about 6 yrs. Come to MA is March, I'll have 2 to be done |
|
| Author: | dirtmover [ Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:35 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Water Pump Impellor |
papaindigo wrote: At 42K I have no clue what I'll do 58K from now which at the rate I'm driving in retirement won't roll around for about 6 yrs. Regardless of mileage I wouldn't risk the timing belt to go that long. The manufacturer will typically recommend 5-6 years at most. e.g. from http://www.gates.com/common/downloads/f ... tGuide.pdf "Avoid Costly Engine Damage; Change Your Timing Belt At The Recommended Interval Or Every 72 Months, Which Ever Comes First." For a 2005, if I were you I'd be looking at changing it in the next year! |
|
| Author: | turbobike [ Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Water Pump Impellor |
replaced my water pump at 100,000 mile timing belt service. Pump showed no wear at all, but I wouldn't want to do the job all over again b/4 200,000 miles. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|