LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

altenator woes
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64360
Page 1 of 1

Author:  bucklanddj [ Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:30 pm ]
Post subject:  altenator woes

Is anybody having issues with their alternators? I have 170,000 km on my 06, and getting my third alternator. Don't get me wrong it charges fine but it's like the shaft is bent at the pulley. If i remove the serpentine belt and spin the pulley by hand, it appears to wobble slightly. When the belt is back on you can see the wobble, but when you look at the tensioner it looks like it will fly apart.

now the weird thing is this is exactly how the first one went about six months ago. Once the new one was in place everything was smooth.

Any ideas what could be causing this to occur?

Author:  irollgen4s [ Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: altenator woes

alternator decoupler needs to be replaced, not the alternator.

Author:  nissanfrontier [ Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: altenator woes

Good news is they are easy as pie to change just got out garage minute ago doing mine. Bought long thin extention tool for job at Kragen with 15mm socket makes adj much easier. Replacing the new belt was toughest part, remove neg and positive terminals from battery! 2 13mm bolts in front one on side think 15mm and another 13mm arm in back that needs loosening. What brand of ALT are you running. I ordered rebuilt one advance auto with $50 off coupon $145 shipped. Installed month ago and has some sparks think piece copper in there floating around. Worked great for awhile but I also had new ALT I purchased off ebay some chinese brand. Well decided to put new in and going to return rebuilt for now. Started up and was getting 14.30ish bouncing around, advance was 14.5 I think. The chinese part had glossy alum maybe why I stuck with that and being new $214. Also how did you torque down bolts this might make a difference. Chinese ALT had little more play in metal that slides in bolt hole. Hope that my alignment will stay true with this part.

Author:  bucklanddj [ Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: altenator woes

How hard is it to find the alternator decoupler though.

Author:  tonycrd [ Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: altenator woes

Try the search option on here?

Author:  papaindigo [ Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: altenator woes

Try http://www.americanenginesco.com/servle ... CRD/Detail or http://www.factorymoparparts.com/53013554ae.html

However, I think you may need a special tool(s) to hold the alternator shaft while you remove the decoupler but I cannot immediately find a link on that issue. I suspect a local auto electric place can do the sway for a fair price but be careful about letting them install just any old decoupler that "fits" as doing so has caused at least one member problems. Translation go with a decoupler made for this vehicle.

Author:  tonycrd [ Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: altenator woes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160699363808?it ... e0&vxp=mtr

You can hammer it off with an air impact wrench and a 17mm allen socket.

chdorsey wrote:
Thanks, guys, for the advice. I am going to get on this ASAP. For posterity, here are some links to good discussions about replacing the decoupler:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47184
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36743
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44550
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39287
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53244

Chris

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/