| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Cost of motor and tranny for swap. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64363 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | DieselJeepLuvr [ Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
I'm looking to purchase a complete motor and tranny with wiring harness and ECM/TCM. Motor probably had timing belt fail or something as the head was removed for a valve job/repair. What would be a fair price for all that and what all do I need to do a swap for my wifes 99 Cherokee limited that she absolutely loves but I hate the fact that it gets 14 mpg. |
|
| Author: | Sir Sam [ Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
DieselJeepLuvr wrote: what all do I need to do a swap for my wifes 99 Cherokee limited that she absolutely loves but I hate the fact that it gets 14 mpg. If your asking this you are not ready to do this. |
|
| Author: | DieselJeepLuvr [ Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:30 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
Sir Sam wrote: If your asking this you are not ready to do this. Not quite. but I am going to do it.... probably. Are you feeling a little pesimistic today sir sam? |
|
| Author: | Sir Sam [ Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:34 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
DieselJeepLuvr wrote: Sir Sam wrote: If your asking this you are not ready to do this. Not quite. but I am going to do it.... probably. Are you feeling a little pesimistic today sir sam? You call me a pessimist, I call myself pragmatic. |
|
| Author: | racertracer [ Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
Diesel jeep lover..... you may not know this but Sir sam has been working on a similar swap for some time now and is close to an end. He is probably one of the few that has attempted it and may be the sole authority on the subject besides Chrysler...... just sayin. |
|
| Author: | nissanfrontier [ Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:27 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
would be easier just to go out buy CRD either liberty or cherokee. I agree with SIR it will never happen. Now if you owned wrangler I might take different stand. Stuffing HEMI might be easier choice. How about a fishing report! |
|
| Author: | DieselJeepLuvr [ Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:35 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
Sir Sam wrote: You call me a pessimist, I call myself pragmatic. LOL Touche! Been kicking the idea around for quite some time and just recently found someone parting one out that had some engine problems. Was offered the complete motor, tranny, wiring harnesses and ECM/TCM (8X,000miles) for $1500 and I believe he still has the intercooler. |
|
| Author: | DieselJeepLuvr [ Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:41 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
Had cancer surgery Oct. 12th so been unable to fish. Pathology showed the surgery a sucess so I feel extremely blessed about that (so far). I'll do a fishing report in March when I start devoting my spare time to spring chinook! |
|
| Author: | geordi [ Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:36 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
I'd say buy the engine and part it out here, you should be able to easily make that money back and then some... And concentrate on your fishing. I wanted to do something similar on a 97 Grand Cherokee that I have with 240k miles on it, but came to my senses a while back. You would need the engine, trans, ECM, TCM, full inside and outside wiring harnesses, dash harness to connect to the SKIM module (which would need to match the ECM or have the ECM reprogrammed to even start the thing) key switch and chip antenna from inside the column... Instrument cluster because that is controlled BY the computer, it isn't analog either. Getting scared off yet? I'm not done. You will probably also need to figure out how to integrate the ABS computer and airbag computers, because they will be different. The body computer from the Grand Cherokee should be retained so your power locks and windows work... But then again, the lock-with-speed function won't. The cruise control will probably require rewiring the connectors to match the KJ wiring harness... This is an unholy amount of work, considering how technically advanced the CRD design is. You are basically asking to completely shove the entire KJ vehicle inside the Grand Cherokee body shell. About the only things that won't need to be transferred are the sheetmetal and seats. |
|
| Author: | DieselJeepLuvr [ Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:06 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
I suppose it would be good to have a spare motor and tranny handy... Remember the good old days of mechanical injection? |
|
| Author: | Sir Sam [ Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:20 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
geordi wrote: You are basically asking to completely shove the entire KJ vehicle inside the Grand Cherokee body shell. About the only things that won't need to be transferred are the sheetmetal and seats. This. I spent so much time digging through wiring diagrams to get the basics laid out, and there is still a bunch of stuff I am not sure about right now. |
|
| Author: | geordi [ Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
Sir Sam wrote: geordi wrote: You are basically asking to completely shove the entire KJ vehicle inside the Grand Cherokee body shell. About the only things that won't need to be transferred are the sheetmetal and seats. This. I spent so much time digging through wiring diagrams to get the basics laid out, and there is still a bunch of stuff I am not sure about right now. Which is exactly why I gave up on the idea, and I understand how to do wiring. I was even contemplating direct-wiring to the individual sensors to the old analog dashboard of the ZJ... But even that probably would only work to a point, b/c the sensors might not be sending the same kind of data. The KJ CRD is a kludge design anyway trying to integrate the computers with an italian engine and Bosch system management design... And you want to try and combine it with another heavily-computerized Mopar product in the 99 GC? Crazy man. |
|
| Author: | Sir Sam [ Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
geordi wrote: the 99 GC? Crazy man. to be fair he said 99 cherokee limited, not grand cherokee. |
|
| Author: | geordi [ Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:07 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
Sir Sam wrote: geordi wrote: the 99 GC? Crazy man. to be fair he said 99 cherokee limited, not grand cherokee. Toma-TOE... Lawnmower. ![]() Same difference, its a computing nightmare b/c it comes from the seventh circle of Mopar. |
|
| Author: | Sir Sam [ Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:59 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
geordi wrote: Sir Sam wrote: geordi wrote: the 99 GC? Crazy man. to be fair he said 99 cherokee limited, not grand cherokee. Toma-TOE... Lawnmower. ![]() Same difference, its a computing nightmare b/c it comes from the seventh circle of Mopar. The grand cherokee uses a BCM, the XJ does not, it makes the XJ much more standalone in regards to wiring. Trust me its significantly more complicated for the BCM ZJ and WJ. On the flip side though a 99+ Grand Cherokee (WJ) uses a PCI bus so the existing gauge cluster will work just fine with the KJ PCI bus - been tested and verified by myself. |
|
| Author: | geordi [ Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
Good to know on the PCI bus, if I had a 99. Without the BCM tho, does that make it that much easier for the OP? He still has to deal with the cluster wiring, and I can't believe the rest of the KJ stuff would go quietly when if figured out that it wasn't able to detect each and every resistance value for each component like the locks or windows. The potential for Murphy's Law on that project is way too high. I'm not adverse to taking on a challenging project, but chasing down electrical gremlins is just a big old bowl of suckage. |
|
| Author: | Sir Sam [ Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:10 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Cost of motor and tranny for swap. |
The problem is the WJ and KJ PCI bus want to fight each other over some of the data. Meaning you have to isolate the WJ BCM and PCI bus for things like windows, and airbags. Then isolate the KJ BCM for the gauge cluster and other functions. The problem then is that you need to tie in a single sensor to both BCM's, because both the WJ BCM and the KJ BCM need a rev/mile signal. Ya I've spent lots of hours going through this stuff, I just wish there was some way to monetize on what I managed to figure out. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|