| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65184 |
Page 1 of 3 |
| Author: | BlackSkyRacing [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:41 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
Ok, so I have already picked up on some of my wholesale accounts offering aftermarket pieces for doing the timing belt job in our CRDs. Two snags though, the tensioner assembly is on back order, and A1 Cardone has no cores for the waterpump. If I had enough interest I would be willing to purchase several tensioners when they are available so I could actually stock them. I would also like to know if any members here would be willing to sell me their old waterpumps as cores so I can send them in for a rebuild. Looks like I can pretty easily stock these (with enough interest) and be able to sell the kit for around $400(shipped). This would include Timing Belt (Dayco or Gates whichever is more readily available at the time), 2 Idler pulleys, tensioner assembly, and waterpump. I may also include the Renault style (in-hose, no housing) thermostat in either 180* or 195* depending on customer prefference for the same price. Let me know what you guys think, and to the mods, if this turns out to be worthwhile as a business venture what do I need to do to become a Vendor so as not to break any rules? |
|
| Author: | flman [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
BlackSkyRacing wrote: Ok, so I have already picked up on some of my wholesale accounts offering aftermarket pieces for doing the timing belt job in our CRDs. Two snags though, the tensioner assembly is on back order, and A1 Cardone has no cores for the waterpump. If I had enough interest I would be willing to purchase several tensioners when they are available so I could actually stock them. I would also like to know if any members here would be willing to sell me their old waterpumps as cores so I can send them in for a rebuild. Looks like I can pretty easily stock these (with enough interest) and be able to sell the kit for around $400(shipped). This would include Timing Belt (Dayco or Gates whichever is more readily available at the time), 2 Idler pulleys, tensioner assembly, and waterpump. I may also include the Renault style (in-hose, no housing) thermostat in either 180* or 195* depending on customer prefference for the same price. Let me know what you guys think, and to the mods, if this turns out to be worthwhile as a business venture what do I need to do to become a Vendor so as not to break any rules? I'm in! I think I have about 3K till my first TB change? |
|
| Author: | jws84_02 [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:06 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
I'm game as well. 90k on my crd. Just one ?? The $400, will that include selling u the used water pump core? |
|
| Author: | Maiettan [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
I would be interested in that deal, about 15k away. |
|
| Author: | ibHenry [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
That is about $100.00 cheaper, than what I just paid for the same parts from the Dealer. Mine is due in about 300 miles.
|
|
| Author: | BlackSkyRacing [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:21 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
jws84_02 wrote: I'm game as well. 90k on my crd. Just one ?? The $400, will that include selling u the used water pump core? Yes it would, otherwise I will have to charge some sort of core charge. For this to get rolling I will need to track down some members who have already serviced their water pump by replacing it with a new unit and buy their old one's as cores to determine what I will need to charge for a core. To keep things simple I will be sure to package the water pumps in their own box with a pre-paid return shipping label on them So thus far it would seem I should order at least a half a dozen tensioners as soon as I find that they are available. My supplier said to check back in two weeks, I will keep you gentlemen posted. |
|
| Author: | WolverineFW [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:02 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
I would think about it only if it had a Gates belt. My boss buys Dayco belts at work and they are cheap garbage. |
|
| Author: | dkenny [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:39 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
would you consider other options.. like a kit without a thermostat..for those of use that have upgraded to the inline housing? otherwise it sounds good. I say I'm in, but it'll be 70K miles from now..I changed it when I changed the CP3. around 55K miles -dkenny |
|
| Author: | VMKJCRD [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
I'm interested also. 15k here and may be doing my time belt change next year. |
|
| Author: | arengant [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
I am in too |
|
| Author: | ATXKJ [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
interested - still have some time to go |
|
| Author: | warp2diesel [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
Yes with Gates belt but no on the inline thermostat, let us know. |
|
| Author: | MtnClimber [ Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:06 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
I'm due in about 9k miles so count me in as well, but only with the Gates belt. Hopefully I won't be needing the inline thermostat as I am trying to get on of the modified stock housings machined that lets you replace the t-stat. |
|
| Author: | ebbnflow [ Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:30 am ] |
| Post subject: | Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
I'm in. 20k to go.... |
|
| Author: | BlackLibertyCRD [ Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:46 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
WolverineFW wrote: I would think about it only if it had a Gates belt. My boss buys Dayco belts at work and they are cheap garbage. The belt from the dealer is Goodyear so that should be consider. |
|
| Author: | RAF 3829 [ Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:24 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
I'd be interested, about 18K to go. |
|
| Author: | papaindigo [ Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:22 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
Not interested only because I already have a full stock of all needed parts. That said I'm guessing that since you list 2 tstat temps and the OEM only comes in one that what you were planning to include is an inline tstat. In any case I wanted to toss out there that a tstat replacement, inline or OEM, is not a necessary part of the timing belt change especially if you are running an OEM. Tstat replacement essentially does not overlap any of the steps needed to replace the timing belt and/or water pump with the minor exception of ca. 2 cups of antifreeze. If you are running an OEM tstat and your temp gauge needle sits vertical or a needle width left of vertical when warmed up the tstat is just fine and continues to be fine until it starts the typical failure mode of opening early or simply failing open in which case the temp gauge needle will give you clear evidence of that failure. Only then does the tstat need attention. Bottom line is don't waste money replacing a functional part that's separate from a timing belt/water pump job. Now if we had an OEM tstat that tended to fail closed I'd have a different opinion. Translation if I was running an inline or Kaps mod I'd be inclined to replace the tstat at the same interval as a serp belt (50k miles) just because. |
|
| Author: | ribak [ Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
I am interested, but still have some time untill the change. |
|
| Author: | scubadvr1999 [ Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
I am in, sitting at 96K now! keep us updated. |
|
| Author: | BlackSkyRacing [ Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit |
WolverineFW wrote: I would think about it only if it had a Gates belt. My boss buys Dayco belts at work and they are cheap garbage. My supplier offers Gates belt as the standard, and I don't see supply issues. Dayco is a back-up and I will certainly check a couple of other suppliers for the Goodyear belt. I see there's question about the t-stat. It was more of a possible offering, mostly as a one stop shopping thing. It's only $12 so I figured if it were requested I would simply throw one in |
|
| Page 1 of 3 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|