| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| No power and miss http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65732 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | 05diesel [ Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | No power and miss |
Its an 05 with 90,000 miles, every time you put it to the floor the service engine light will come on, and it won't have any power. If you drive normal, its fine, but if you floor it, it will happen every time. Once the light is on, the thing will hardly move itself, if you have it in park and take the rpms up slowly it will spit and fart and miss real bad. Replaced fuel filter, air filter good. |
|
| Author: | msilbernagel [ Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
If you don't have a scanner to read codes - typically Auto Zone will read them for you - for free. Having that information will tell us a lot. Could be a lot of things... sadly, or I think you'd have more suggestions to work from. The obvious things to check are those which are accessible and serviceable by the average consumer: Air filter, fuel filter, check fluid levels, listen for anything that doesn't appear normal when the engine is running and the hood up or inspecting (engine off) with a good light. If your problem were (a possibility) a split hose between the turbo and intake - I've heard they're hard to spot as they often split underneath where it's hard to notice. The codes will help guide your efforts. Mark |
|
| Author: | 05diesel [ Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
I need to take it back and have them scan it again, the first time I wasn't paying much attention, he mention something about the turbo |
|
| Author: | maxwellp [ Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:03 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
Do you have the old or new fuel filter head? |
|
| Author: | Drewd [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:52 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
I had something similar occur. It was caused by a bad tank of gas that clogged 2 fuel filters. I thought I had a high pressure injector/fuel pump problem because a new fuel filter didn't fix the problem. Turned out the new fuel filter got clogged too! A double shot of seafoam in the fuel tank helped a little which led me to believe that another fuel filter had clogged..actually, borrowing a fuel rail from Sam ruled out that component... |
|
| Author: | racertracer [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:21 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
05diesel wrote: I need to take it back and have them scan it again, the first time I wasn't paying much attention, he mention something about the turbo Yep. Turbo vanes are sticking. Slow driving and lot's of start and stops clogs the turbo. The turbo needs some cleaning or what is known as a turbo tune up. You need to find a steep hill and blow the crud off of your turbo vanes. Be safe and do this while not in traffic and the road is clear. Here are the steps. 1. Bring engine to normal operating temperature. 2. While stopped at bottom of hill, point nose of vehicle to the sky and gun it up the hill. In other words press the fuel pedal down quickly and hold it there till you reach the top of the hill. 3. Engine light will come on and the vehicle will go into limp home mode. No problem, turn off the light with your code reader or just turn the ignition key off while stopped and then restart the vehicle. 4. Repeat step number two - six more tmes. 5. Find an open highway and drive it hard for an extended period of time to continue to blow out all the built up carbon stuck on the vanes. 6. Continue to drive vehicle hard every chance you get so that the turbo remains clean and the cell light off. |
|
| Author: | papaindigo [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:04 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
Pull the turbo>intercooler>engine hoses off; remove woven covering; wipe off oil; inspect for holes/tears especially on the bottom; if found replace with Samcos (see sticky). Be sure to replace the timing belt at 100,000 miles. X2 on the turbo vane tune. |
|
| Author: | 05diesel [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:50 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
Okay I will do everything you guys told me too and report back later today, Quick question though, If the turbo vanes and sticking, why would it cause a miss when its in park? and slowly taking the rpms up? I guess I don't know how theses turbos work,Thanks again for the info! |
|
| Author: | 05diesel [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:16 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
On the fuel filter head, I'm 99% sure I have the old one |
|
| Author: | maxwellp [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:23 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
There is a new filter head that addresses air in the fuel. After you get it to miss and stumble, if you shut the key off and restart it does it run OK until you floor it again? |
|
| Author: | maxwellp [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:26 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
This is what leads me to believe you have a fuel or air delivery problem. If the turbo vanes are sticking you would most likely get a over boost or under boost and allot of smoke. 05diesel wrote: Okay I will do everything you guys told me too and report back later today, Quick question though, If the turbo vanes and sticking, why would it cause a miss when its in park? and slowly taking the rpms up? I guess I don't know how theses turbos work,Thanks again for the info!
|
|
| Author: | WolverineFW [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
maxwellp wrote: This is what leads me to believe you have a fuel or air delivery problem. If the turbo vanes are sticking you would most likely get a over boost or under boost and allot of smoke. 05diesel wrote: Okay I will do everything you guys told me too and report back later today, Quick question though, If the turbo vanes and sticking, why would it cause a miss when its in park? and slowly taking the rpms up? I guess I don't know how theses turbos work,Thanks again for the info! x2. Air in the fuel will cause rough idling. |
|
| Author: | msilbernagel [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:21 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
If you're having air-in-fuel issues, the best solution is a fuel pump.
|
|
| Author: | 05diesel [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
Today I put a lift pump in, took the stock filter base and threw it away, I got a filter base and made my own fuel/water separator filter set up. Once it was up to operating temp, beat on it, never acted up once, more power also. Thanks for the help! |
|
| Author: | maxwellp [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
05diesel wrote: Today I put a lift pump in, took the stock filter base and threw it away, I got a filter base and made my own fuel/water separator filter set up. Once it was up to operating temp, beat on it, never acted up once, more power also. Thanks for the help! Shazam you got to like that. What did you use for a pump? |
|
| Author: | ATXKJ [ Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
05diesel wrote: made my own fuel/water separator filter set up. Pix????? details?? explanation???? |
|
| Author: | 05diesel [ Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
Not very good at posting pics, I can try later. Not much to explain, the only pump I could find in town that was rated for diesel was a Mr Gasket inline pump. Not sure if its a POS or not, after, I'll drop the tank and install a good pump in there. Bought a filter base and a fuel/water sep filter and mounted that where the stock POS was mounted. I had to do something quick, because it was sucking so much air it would die going down the road. Runs GREAT now. |
|
| Author: | ATXKJ [ Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:19 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No power and miss |
Not sure what filter base you used - the most common swap is Racor with a Standyne (sp?) or 2 thrown in. Biohazard's http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=36977 Stans' http://liberty.eurekaboy.com/racor.htm the caveats - there are 3 electrical connections in there - the Water in fuel - which can be ignored, a Fuel heater - which some folks disconnect in summer and reconnect in winter - might be an issue in cold climates A fuel temperature probe - the computer actively uses than and if it's disconnected - it'll cut power somewhere - well if you're not getting codes - you're probably okay http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=213092#p213092 pictures - the key is LOST doesn't host the pictures - you have to have them posted somewhere else - Photo Bucket, Image shack, Car Domain, Facebook (with protections set correctly) and then you can post a link on a LOST thread - How to is in Frequently asked Questions - |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|