LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Timing belt replacement prep
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65740
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Sawmilldon [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Timing belt replacement prep

I have been reviewing this site for direction on the timing belt job. I have been advised that the job can be done without radiator removal.
This means that I will have to remove the big nut on the fan. I have a 1-7/16" wrench that fits this nut nicely.

How do I keep the whole thing from turning? It look like I could make a tool to fit between the pulley and the lifting point, but surely someone has come up with a good way to do this without heading to the fab shop.

Any advice?

Author:  papaindigo [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement prep

I expanded on my initial quicky reply to your other post. Take a look at that.

Author:  maxwellp [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement prep

http://www.beesvillebeefarm.com/jeep.html

Here is the link...
Very well done!!!!!!!!! :pepper:

Author:  EAB [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement prep

Just curious why they want the injection pump timed when its a 3 piston pump and its not resposible for injection timing...hmmm

Author:  papaindigo [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement prep

There are complicated ways of doing the timing belt that involve extra steps and those ways work and there are simple ways of doing the timing belt with fewer steps and those ways work too. I tend toward the simple and if someone puns on that I'll have to shoot someone.

No harm in taking the radiator out and it certainly makes for more working room but once the fan shroud and fan are out, they have to come out, there is plenty of room so why bother. Yes the fuel pump has a mark and it lines up with another mark but only once every 3 revolutions. No harm in lining it up but why bother UNLESS you are putting an out of time engine back together at which point it might matter although I don't know if that's the case. If the engine was in time when you started the project the thing to do is get the flywheel and cam pins in place and put some witness marks on stuff, like the pump, to make sure nothing moves while you do the job - if you do this the engine will be in time when you finish the job; that's the simple approach.

The even simpler approach that scares me too much to even think about attempting is to skip the pins and just mark everything. Should work but on an interference engine should is not good enough for me. Got to draw the line somewhere.

Author:  Sawmilldon [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement prep

This is a nice writeup.

The only comment I have is that when you disconnect a battery, the negative lead is safer to remove, and accomplished the same thing.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/