It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Metal filings in radiator drainage
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:51 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:53 pm
Posts: 8
I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 140,000 (I know, I was lucky). At 144,000 the water pump shaft broke (my luck failed on that one!) which in turn caused the belt to slip and break the rockers. When I drained the radiator I noticed metal filings in the fluid (see pic). Do I need to flush out the engine/radiator or will all of the loose metal filings, which I assume came from the innards of the broken water pump, just settle to the bottom of the radiator, or wherever else they may be hiding?

Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Metal filings in radiator drainage
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:22 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:39 pm
Posts: 103
Location: Verona, WI
I would flush it out the best you can, all those filings could take out the water pump seal over time. But I also would not lose sleep over it, the filings will fall to the bottom.

_________________
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
1998 Beetle TDI Malone Tuning Stage 2
2001 Dodge Cummins
2005 Dodge Cummins
ASE, OBDII / VAG-CAN scaner / Service Manual
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Metal filings in radiator drainage
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:15 pm
Posts: 776
Location: Eastern US
A magnet is your friend. I would scrounge one of those really strong rare earth hard drive magnets and epoxy it or wire it to the outside of the bottom of the radiator next to the return hose.

_________________
Grid power- the one true essential

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Metal filings in radiator drainage
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:33 pm
Posts: 501
Location: Wheeling WV
Wow, sorry about your bad luck! :shock:
Had you been hearing any noises before the failure.
This makes two water pump failures reported that took out the rockers.
I'm glad now that I replaced a seemingly good water pump at 103,000 miles. :|

_________________
TWO Identical 2005 Liberty Sport CRDS
#1 CRD, 174,000 miles. Eco tune, Samco hoses. Mobil1 0-40w used since day one
#2 CRD 143,000 miles. Bought used (unknown history) with 100,000 miles. Samco hoses.
Eco tune, new rockers, and 5 volt glow plugs installed at 124,000 miles


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com