LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

HUMM..... ideas plz.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65765
Page 1 of 1

Author:  camo [ Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:44 pm ]
Post subject:  HUMM..... ideas plz.

Hi. I started having a constant humm on my 05 libby a couple of days after replacing the front rotors and brake pads. It is only when moving and increases as car speed increases, also it seem to be coming from the front at low speed and the back after 55 or so...
I thought it was the front bearing hubs but I replace them and it is still the same. I have looked underneath and don't see anything abnormal. The only other lead I have is that when I turn to the left at any speed over 55 the sound accentuates even more.
Some help please, I am getting stuck on this one.
:ALONE:

Author:  bunkermonkeycw [ Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.

My more recent lost sound was the intermediate shaft behind my right CV axle, check it out.

Author:  maxwellp [ Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.

U Joint, Sometimes they can make weird noises. Most likely not but something easy to check.

Author:  camo [ Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.

I replaced the ujoints already, what shaft u mean? The one from the transfer case to the front differential? How do I check it? Anything specific I should be looking for on that shaft? :|

Author:  geordi [ Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.

Hearing hoofbeats and thinking Zebras?

You started getting the noise after changing the brakes... I would START there and look for something sticking, since that is what you messed with.

Did you use brake-slyde (or something similar sold in little packets) on the bolts before you re-mounted the calipers? Those bolts have to slide back and forth with the carriers, and if they are sticking, it could be a source of dragging / noise.

Did you bleed the brakes or just clamp the calipers to open them? I usually don't bleed the system, just use a C-clamp to compress the caliper while installing the new pads, but I have heard where the orangutan method I use might not be the best...

Author:  fratichelli [ Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.

camo wrote:
Hi. I started having a constant humm on my 05 libby a couple of days after replacing the front rotors and brake pads. It is only when moving and increases as car speed increases, also it seem to be coming from the front at low speed and the back after 55 or so...
I thought it was the front bearing hubs but I replace them and it is still the same. I have looked underneath and don't see anything abnormal. The only other lead I have is that when I turn to the left at any speed over 55 the sound accentuates even more.
Some help please, I am getting stuck on this one.
:ALONE:

I have also heard that the vents on the rotors will give it a humm. Did you use OEM, or did you get slotted?

Or there could be a zebra stuck in your rotor. :ROTFL:

Author:  camo [ Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.

I'll put some of that brake slide and see if it improves. However, the brakes don't seem to be overheating, and I also used the Orangutan method.
Any more ideas are welcome.
:frankie:

Author:  camo [ Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.

Ok. I did put on the brake pins grease and did bleed the system, but no changes to the sound. have you guys had a sound like that before? if so what you found out was the problem? Thanks

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/