LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Metal filings in radiator drainage
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65769
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Kursk [ Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:51 am ]
Post subject:  Metal filings in radiator drainage

I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 140,000 (I know, I was lucky). At 144,000 the water pump shaft broke (my luck failed on that one!) which in turn caused the belt to slip and break the rockers. When I drained the radiator I noticed metal filings in the fluid (see pic). Do I need to flush out the engine/radiator or will all of the loose metal filings, which I assume came from the innards of the broken water pump, just settle to the bottom of the radiator, or wherever else they may be hiding?

Image
Image
Image

Author:  maxwellp [ Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Metal filings in radiator drainage

I would flush it out the best you can, all those filings could take out the water pump seal over time. But I also would not lose sleep over it, the filings will fall to the bottom.

Author:  LMWatBullRun [ Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Metal filings in radiator drainage

A magnet is your friend. I would scrounge one of those really strong rare earth hard drive magnets and epoxy it or wire it to the outside of the bottom of the radiator next to the return hose.

Author:  jeepdan [ Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Metal filings in radiator drainage

Wow, sorry about your bad luck! :shock:
Had you been hearing any noises before the failure.
This makes two water pump failures reported that took out the rockers.
I'm glad now that I replaced a seemingly good water pump at 103,000 miles. :|

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/