| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| EGR question http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66339 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Deezel [ Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | EGR question |
What would happen if the exhaust port was just plugged up or re-routed overboard instead of heading into the intake path? Would there still be a CEL? If so, can someone steer me to the thread that explains how this system works? I'm finally getting into this machine (timing belt) and trying to clear a CEL (P101) code, clear up the smoke trail I see in the rear view mirror etc.. I'm following the Noob guide!! I ordered a MAP sensor as mine was completely covered....I cleaned it a while back with no change in response. Is changing the MAP once in a while considered best practice? |
|
| Author: | msilbernagel [ Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EGR question |
1. You will find that you need to make the ECU stop trying to make the EGR work (e.g. remove MAF @ air filter) and live with the CEL, or 2. Fake the ECU out so it thinks the FCV/EGR is working (e.g. SEGR), or 3. Program the ECU to stop fooling around with that junk altogether: GDE tune #1 leaves you with the CEL, but reduces EGR activity significantly #2 seems to work pretty well, but it pre-dates the GDE solution - helps to be comfortable with electronics and auto wiring (solder, heat-shrink, wiring harnesses, voltmeter) if you're installing it yourself. #3 has the advantage of giving you better performance and mileage at the same time and can be done by almost everyone. YMMV... |
|
| Author: | papaindigo [ Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EGR question |
Depends on what you want to do. As I understand it, if you want to keep the EGR hooked up but reduce/eliminate its function then msilbernagel's suggestions are on point. If you want to physically remove the EGR (options range from pulling and plugging its pipes to total physical removal and rerouting of its coolant lines) without a CEL I'm pretty sure you need the SEGR. At least I've never gotten a totally clear, possibly related to EPA issues, answer as to whether or not you can remove the EGR without a CEL if you just have a tune. What I can tell you is if you get a GDE tune and leave the EGR intact is that you won't have future EGR problems. In addition if you have a tune and leave the EGR in place you or any future buyers of your CRD will not have any EGR emission related inspection problems. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|