| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Back In The Saddle Again. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66489 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | racertracer [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:10 am ] |
| Post subject: | Back In The Saddle Again. |
Just pulled the trigger on a 2005 CRD sport beryl green pearl with 37803 miles, sunroof, Serious Radio, no coolant leaks : ) and a transferable 7/70 warranty that will expire in 9 months. The ride is smoother, quieter and newer than my previous totaled CRD. The crash left me with a F@#$% right wrist that is a constant reminder of that episode and some have called me nuts to want another CRD considering all the problems I experienced with the previous one ....... but they just don't understand. The muffler will be coming off soon and will be replaced with a straight pipe. I am debating whether or not to gut the Catalytic converter and I need your Pros and Cons to make a decision. I'll be good to this one. Racer |
|
| Author: | turbobike [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:35 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
I know you're in CT like me. Will you be able to pass emissions if you gut the cat ? |
|
| Author: | racertracer [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:43 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
Good question. We should start a Connecticut CRD LostKjs Chapter and meet somewhere over a Guiness, with an open invite to the other surrounding New England states to join. I got the tools. |
|
| Author: | flman [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:45 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
racertracer wrote: The crash left me with a F@#$% right wrist that is a constant reminder of that episode and some have called me nuts to want another CRD considering all the problems I experienced with the previous one ....... but they just don't understand. Racer It is like a trophy wife, high maintenance. Put a pic of the bi-tch up why don't you? There really is not much that compares to a CRD, except maybe a TDI? My wife does not want to part with hers either, and she does not know a thing about it other then the great fuel mileage and the joy of stepping on the skinny pedal. |
|
| Author: | racertracer [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:50 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
flman wrote: There really is not much that compares to a CRD, except maybe a TDI? I test drove one and it just isn't the same. |
|
| Author: | liberty2.8 [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:31 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
racertracer wrote: Just pulled the trigger on a 2005 CRD sport beryl green pearl with 37803 miles, sunroof, Serious Radio, no coolant leaks : ) and a transferable 7/70 warranty that will expire in 9 months. The ride is smoother, quieter and newer than my previous totaled CRD. The crash left me with a F@#$% right wrist that is a constant reminder of that episode and some have called me nuts to want another CRD considering all the problems I experienced with the previous one ....... but they just don't understand. The muffler will be coming off soon and will be replaced with a straight pipe. I am debating whether or not to gut the Catalytic converter and I need your Pros and Cons to make a decision. I'll be good to this one. Racer Glad you found what you were looking for; looks like you went with the one you found in Mass. after all. Hard to find one with that low mileage and remainder of warranty. Mine is straight piped with a gutted cat. The only improvement I really noticed is better coasting ability. Initially, I thought I had improved fuel mileage but I don't think it changed significantly. I believe I read somewhere before gutting mine that diesel emission testing is not affected by lack of cat like a gas engine. You heard the sound bite from mine so you know what a straight pipe sounds like. I do like the exhaust smell better when it is straight piped. |
|
| Author: | papaindigo [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:09 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
Great news, welcome back to the few but proud, if long suffering, group of CRD owners. |
|
| Author: | tonycrd [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
papaindigo wrote: Great news, welcome back to the few but proud, if long suffering, group of CRD owners. X2 |
|
| Author: | Randy B [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
X3 |
|
| Author: | Squeeto [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
Quote: Resistance is futile. Good to see you back. |
|
| Author: | Big Montana [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
Very nice. |
|
| Author: | DOC4444 [ Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:16 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
GDE says no difference. I would leave alone if I had not already "cleaned" it. DOC |
|
| Author: | warp2diesel [ Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:38 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
racertracer wrote: I am debating whether or not to gut the Catalytic converter and I need your Pros and Cons to make a decision. I'll be good to this one. Racer I have posted the test results on back pressure several times. Get rid of the 2 1/8" choke point on the rear CAT flange and put what ever you want that is 2 1/2" ID (or more if you have to for sound effects) all the way back and the back pressure drops to 0.0PSI. Stock system generates up to 5 PSI of back pressure. Back pressure caused by the stock muffler and rear CAT flange 2 1/8" choke point, not the catalyst in the CAT. Make the back pressure 0.0PSI, what more do you want? A no brainer You could put glow lights on your exhaust to make it look red hot
|
|
| Author: | camo [ Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:20 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
racertracer wrote: The crash left me with a F@#$% right wrist that is a constant reminder of that episode and some have called me nuts to want another CRD considering all the problems I experienced with the previous one ....... but they just don't understand. They are simply jealous... we know what the real deal is!!! warp2diesel wrote: racertracer wrote: I am debating whether or not to gut the Catalytic converter and I need your Pros and Cons to make a decision. I'll be good to this one. Racer I have posted the test results on back pressure several times. Get rid of the 2 1/8" choke point on the rear CAT flange and put what ever you want that is 2 1/2" ID (or more if you have to for sound effects) all the way back and the back pressure drops to 0.0PSI. Stock system generates up to 5 PSI of back pressure. Back pressure caused by the stock muffler and rear CAT flange 2 1/8" choke point, not the catalyst in the CAT. Make the back pressure 0.0PSI, what more do you want? A no brainer You could put glow lights on your exhaust to make it look red hot ![]() I will be doing the straight pipe in a month, where is it exactly the CAT obstruction that needs removing without getting rid of the catalyst? |
|
| Author: | warp2diesel [ Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
I cut off the rear CAT flange ( CAT is located between turbo and muffler) ![]() Then I took some pipe, split it, positioned as shown using the stock muffler to hold the flange in position. Next I welded the heck out of it with my MIG using Stainless wire and TRI Mix. Here is the Muffler flange I cut off the stock muffler. ![]() When the CAT flange was welded up, I cut out the burs and other crap to make it a true 2 1/2" ID. Then I cut the muffler flange off and got it hogged out to fit my 2 1/2" pipe. ![]() Attached flange to Magniflow ![]() Added 2 1/2 " straight pipe to Magniflow and reinstalled. ![]() ![]() Done |
|
| Author: | Sir Sam [ Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:05 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
racertracer wrote: I am debating whether or not to gut the Catalytic converter and I need your Pros and Cons to make a decision. Remove the cat and straight pipe it.....ship cat to me to use on Project CRD MJ. |
|
| Author: | racertracer [ Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
Sir Sam wrote: racertracer wrote: I am debating whether or not to gut the Catalytic converter and I need your Pros and Cons to make a decision. Remove the cat and straight pipe it.....ship cat to me to use on Project CRD MJ. I can't remove the CAT for reasons of visual inspections during the emissions testing in my state. Gutting it would be the only option. Send out a request to those members who have removed their CAT and see if they will part with theirs. |
|
| Author: | Smacker [ Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:35 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Back In The Saddle Again. |
Looks good RT!! Will we ever get to see Topside? |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|