It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Additives
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:42 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:31 pm
Posts: 48
Location: Arkansas
I'm sure this has been posted on here at one time or another, but her it goes again. I was wondering which fuel additives are among the best on the market. I am relatively new to diesels this is my first. I read somewhere that a guy was putting 2 stroke oil in his diesel. Any ideas of that? I'm just trying to uncover some basics and make sure my diesel lives a long life. Also, I'm running Mobil 1 synthetic. How many miles should I go before changing it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Additives
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:54 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:30 pm
Posts: 88
Location: San Diego, CA
On other forums at least, thats a big can of worms. As for oil, most here do not like the Mobil1 but go with Rotella T6 synthetic, I get it at Walmart. I have 3 diesels and they each take their own oil, the CRD gets T6 synthetic blue bottle from walmart. Change it per the manual (check but its ~6000 miles or so) and use a good filter.

Others will chime in, but IMO, no additives are better than random oil thrown in the gas. If you want to try an additive the white/grey bottles of diesel clean are safe. I didnt notice a difference when I ran it in the CRD though.

_________________
--------------------
05 Liberty CRD Ltd - GDE ECO Tune, timing belt, metal glowplugs, Magnaflow 12226, homemade roofrack, 84k miles, SAMCOs, Fumoto, Amsoil EAA201, flat tow setup
02 Ford F350 7.3 Powerstroke -leveled, CC longbed, Detroit Lockers F&R, G38 Turbo, 4" MBRP 290k miles
87 Suzuki Samurai - VW 1.6NA Diesel, SPOA
12 Toyota Prius V


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Additives
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:19 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:34 pm
Posts: 248
Location: Pontiac, Qc. (Canada)
I use PowerService year round, pouring 7-8 oz per fill-up, in the tank. I also pre-mix some 2-stroke oil with it (approx. 2 oz). Preferably, make sure its TC-W3 compliant, like Shell's marine grade oil. It ensures better lubrification of injection system parts...

_________________
RIP 10/31/2012
Green Metallic 2006 CRD Limited
GDE Hot tune ~ Pre-F37 TCM ~ Transgo shift kit ~ MagnaFlow ~ Homemade Provent ~ OME 2" lift & Airlift ~ Samco ~ Euro TC ~ Lift pump ~ Nylon fan blade & Hayden clutch ~ Etc!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Additives
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:43 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:59 pm
Posts: 5171
Location: Austin, TX
DynoPax wrote:
I use PowerService year round, pouring 7-8 oz per fill-up, in the tank. I also pre-mix some 2-stroke oil with it (approx. 2 oz). Preferably, make sure its TC-W3 compliant, like Shell's marine grade oil. It ensures better lubrification of injection system parts...


x2

_________________
2005 CRD
stuff
Skeptic quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Additives
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:47 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:43 am
Posts: 94
Location: ALASKA
Same same as DynoPax

_________________
2005 CRD Sport 4x4
EHM,ORM,Straight pipe exhaust,Facet 40109 lift pump


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Additives
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:14 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:30 pm
Posts: 88
Location: San Diego, CA
PowerService, thats what I meant with the grey/white Diesel Clean, not sure where I came up with Diesel Clean...Anyhow, it didnt make any difference for me.

_________________
--------------------
05 Liberty CRD Ltd - GDE ECO Tune, timing belt, metal glowplugs, Magnaflow 12226, homemade roofrack, 84k miles, SAMCOs, Fumoto, Amsoil EAA201, flat tow setup
02 Ford F350 7.3 Powerstroke -leveled, CC longbed, Detroit Lockers F&R, G38 Turbo, 4" MBRP 290k miles
87 Suzuki Samurai - VW 1.6NA Diesel, SPOA
12 Toyota Prius V


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Additives
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:56 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:29 am
Posts: 378
I have tried just about every fuel additive, Howes, Power Service, Amsoil, etc. The only one where I actually noticed a difference was the Amsoil Cetane Boost, not the injector cleaner, just cetane. It starts better and exhaust kinda smells more like kerosene (space heater exhaust) instead of diesel exhaust.

_________________
'05 LIBERY SPORT CRD
ORM AND EHM
OPTIMA REDTOP
AMSOIL
REDNECK EXHAUST MODS
GDE HOT AND ECO FT TUNES
HUSKY MOLDED FLOOR LINERS

'99 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4
AMSOIL
BTS TRANS/TC
6.0L TRANS COOLER
FULL FORCE STAGE II INJECTORS
PHP CUSTOM TUNES 6POS SWITCH
AFE STAGE II CAI
4" SS TURBO BACK EXHAUST
BILSTEINS
X-CODE FRONT LEAF SPRINGS (OEM LEVEL KIT)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com