| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| pass side cv axle http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74491 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | black dog [ Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | pass side cv axle |
Does anyone have a write up on pass side cv axle replacement? I've got i clunk or a pop in the front end when i come to a complete stop. I've checked the cv axles and the pass has more slop in it than the other.I crawled under and it looks like my napa axle is too short. Does anyone have measurementson how long it should be? I just don't want to pull it apart to put it back together, it's my dd. I'm at124k and already did tb and motor mounts before the q's get asked. |
|
| Author: | Drewd [ Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:13 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: pass side cv axle |
I've got a rebuilt Napa axle, how do you know it is too short? |
|
| Author: | Leeann [ Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: pass side cv axle |
If the NAPA axle for the Liberty is the same style as for an AWD Astro, a guy's mechanic recently found that they're shipped compressed. The grease is all on one side and it can't overcome the suction to extend. The mechanic took it apart, spread out the grease and put it back together extended. His axle stopped popping out and, as far as I know, hasn't popped out since. From the Astro forum: Replacement axles have come from; AutoZone, O'Reilly's and Napa. Thanks, thats exactly what the mech. was doing and then after tearing down two half-shafts he discovered .... the stock axles and aftermarket axles are the same length internally. So here's the problem.... wait for it, think "track tensioner".... The new axles are built up while being fully compressed, with all new seals, grease and boots. The grease pack won't allow the axle to extend fully as everything is air-tight (creating suction) and the grease can't move to the other side. The solution was to release the boot seals, extend the axle out and get the grease to the outer-side of the CV joint. |
|
| Author: | black dog [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: pass side cv axle |
I finally got back under my jeep. Napa had a measurement of 23 5/8 for my pass side axle on the crd. It looked all wrong so i put a tape to it and it looked like it was 3 inches longer. I called a jeep dealer and they measured it at 26 5/8. I emailed jeepinbyal and they said no aftermarket replacement only factory. Any ideas? Jeep wants 480 for a new one... |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: pass side cv axle |
black dog wrote: I finally got back under my jeep. Napa had a measurement of 23 5/8 for my pass side axle on the crd. It looked all wrong so i put a tape to it and it looked like it was 3 inches longer. I called a jeep dealer and they measured it at 26 5/8. I emailed jeepinbyal and they said no aftermarket replacement only factory. Any ideas? Jeep wants 480 for a new one... You ordered the wrong one or it was boxed wrong(it happens).The CRD uses the same CV shafts as the gas 4 banger KJ's.The 3.7 gas KJ uses different CV then the others. |
|
| Author: | black dog [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:29 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: pass side cv axle |
In the napa computer it's listed at 23 5/8 and that is what it measured at but the passenger side on mine looked 3 inches longer. Could it be compressed 3 inches? I want to get the correct one before i take it all apart. Thanks tjkj. |
|
| Author: | papaindigo [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: pass side cv axle |
Cannot help with the answer but I do know folks have been successful getting the passenger side cv axle from NAPA. If someone who has could post the part # for future reference it would be most helpful. |
|
| Author: | black dog [ Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:29 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: pass side cv axle |
I went ahead and just ordered the factory one. After I swap it out if anyone needs a core, let me know. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|