LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Front end work
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74557
Page 1 of 1

Author:  click23 [ Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:13 am ]
Post subject:  Front end work

I have a bunch of front end work coming up and just wanted to see if anyone had any advice. I am planning on replacing, both sides:

CV axle
lower ball joint
strut

Anything else that I need to look for while I have everything tore down?

Author:  LS12FAST4U [ Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end work

My advice for anything chassis related is to buy Moog chassis parts from O'Reilly Auto Parts. Best chassis parts hands down.

Author:  BlackLibertyCRD [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end work

LS12FAST4U, Why O'Reilly Auto Parts when there's are so many other great parts stores around? :jester:

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end work

BlackLibertyCRD wrote:
LS12FAST4U, Why O'Reilly Auto Parts when there's are so many other great parts stores around? :jester:

Yeah I wouldn't even buy glass cleaner at O'Reilly's here,there convinced that a '04 Ram pickup never came with a 5.7 HEMI,idiots.

Author:  click23 [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end work

One question that I have is how do I know if I should get the struts with the springs or the ones without?

Author:  click23 [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end work

After a bit more research the struts with springs appear to be just for the convenience of taking the unit out as a whole.

Author:  papaindigo [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end work

Please let's not have someone start the struts vs. coil over springs discussion, once was enough.

As to the question. 2 choices:
1. buy the shocks with the springs already installed and you can do all the work yourself but will likely be limited on spring choices unless you go with something like OME that offers some choices
2. buy the shocks and springs, if you want new springs, separately. If you go this route then the spring and shocks will need to be assembled into a unit which will require the right type spring compressor. If you have that tool great but if not you will need to buy/rent one or get a friendly local shop, shouldn't cost much, to do it for you.

Your choice

Author:  painemann [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end work

I am in the same boat, I need all new springs and cv's. I think I am just going to do a small lift since I need all the slings!!
I am getting a nasty sound from the font end. Cannot figure out which joint it is yet but I am guessing the front drive shaft and not the cv.

Author:  click23 [ Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end work

papaindigo wrote:
Please let's not have someone start the struts vs. coil over springs discussion, once was enough.

As to the question. 2 choices:
1. buy the shocks with the springs already installed and you can do all the work yourself but will likely be limited on spring choices unless you go with something like OME that offers some choices
2. buy the shocks and springs, if you want new springs, separately. If you go this route then the spring and shocks will need to be assemble into a unit which will require the right type spring compressor. If you have that tool great but if not you will need to buy/rent one or get a friendly local shop, shouldn't cost much, to do it for you.

Your choice


How do you know if your springs need replacing?

Author:  papaindigo [ Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end work

Ride height gets too low or you just want stiffer springs to go with after market shocks. Ride height can be measured from ground to top of fender wells with vehicle on level ground but I don't know the appropriate measurements, might be in FSM or I'm sure another member knows.

Author:  ChooChooman74 [ Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end work

I would watch out for shock and spring combos. If it is the same number for both the gasser and CRD, run away. You don't want gasser springs in a CRD.

I bought my springs from the stealership, which I hope to replace with my Bilsteins this weekend. I know I could get the cheaper online, but I had to go there for them to get me the right part number since there are so many springs listed on the parts fiche.

Author:  ChooChooman74 [ Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end work

papaindigo wrote:
Ride height gets too low or you just want stiffer springs to go with after market shocks. Ride height can be measured from ground to top of fender wells with vehicle on level ground but I don't know the appropriate measurements, might be in FSM or I'm sure another member knows.

I was just reading up on this. FSM has a measurement from what looks like the LCA joint to the center-line of the spindle.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/