| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| A/C Compressor http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74582 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | ibedonc [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | A/C Compressor |
Anyone ever replaced one , I done a belt tensioner before but this looks a little harder any advice ? |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:43 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: A/C Compressor |
Must be evac'd before opening teh AC system,it is illegal to vent R134A(just as harmfull as R12).Then you must have the system vacuumed for 30-60mins and then recharged,it's weight specific and those can you buy at wallmart are the worst thing you can use since you can not control the weight going in and almost all have stopleak added which is very bad for your new compressor and orific tube. Oh and you must replace the orifice tube and reviever/dryer to keep any warranty on the compressor.Not really a DIY project without the special tools. |
|
| Author: | thermorex [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | A/C Compressor |
You can replace the compressor and go to a professional ac shop to have it charged. I hear its not good to run with the compressor w/o coolant and oil, so it's recommended to go to a shop right after you change the compressor. Tjkj is correct about everything he said, you should replace all those things for warranty purposes, have your peace of mind, do the recommended things, but you don't have to just to have a working ac. If you do it though, it's not a big deal, few extra minutes I don't know about how legal is to evac the current r134 but as long as nobody knows about it... But I don't advocate that at all, it's your call and your conscience. If you want to do it yourself, you need a vacuum pump and a professional gauge with hoses. All new would be probably $3-500 minimum, depending on how high you want to go, the most expensive part is the vacuum pump. Probably not worth if you do it every now and then. You should also add some dye in the system, in case you have any leaks. You can buy everything from napa for example. Here is a video that explains the basics: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lglPJuBX ... glPJuBXVeE Truth is that with all my equipment I wasn't able to charge it as good as a professional shop... Maybe i cant get the exact coolant quantity thats required... Can't understand why but I just can't, lol. It cools good, but is not as cool as the pro, it's definitely cheaper though... Good luck! |
|
| Author: | GreenDieselEngineering [ Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:17 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: A/C Compressor |
ibedonc wrote: Anyone ever replaced one , I done a belt tensioner before but this looks a little harder any advice ? If you need a new AC compressor, I have a few new units for sale. |
|
| Author: | ibedonc [ Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: A/C Compressor |
Thanks , I just wanted to know if anyone had to pull one before , I been doing A/C since the 70's I just never had to swap one in a Liberty before , I have ALL the tools , already done the dryer/filter and orifice tube , actually both of my CRD's need compressors , just my 05 is worst then the 06 I already recovered the 134a |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|