It is currently Sun Oct 11, 2026 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:00 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:04 am
Posts: 871
Location: Tiverton, RI
Talking to Arengant about LEDs, I decided to make a video of what they looked like.

I have been using http://www.autolumination.com for a few orders. No problems. I do see that they may not carry what I need for the interior lights, and I may have to look elsewhere. But, LEDing my trailer is more of a priority, first.

First, my backup bulbs are 22 Watt eagle eyes. Man, they are bright. So bright, they bounce off my trailer when trying to back up at night. I need to wire them to go off, and maybe to go on with a switch.

Image

Now, my stop/tail and turns are older. They came off my caliber and were purchased about 3 years ago. I am using 60 SMT LEDs for those. They were the best when I bought them 3 years ago or so.

Image

Image

For my CHMSL, I use the 921 12watt bulb.

Image

Here is the video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBump1fk ... IRSf3HsFvw

_________________
2006 Sport, GDE FT Eco Tune, Custom Trans Tune
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn EcoDiesel, GDE Hot Tune


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:43 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:57 am
Posts: 55
Location: Atlanta, GA
Do LED's operate at a higher temperature than the factory incandescent bulbs?
I've wanted to replace my brake and reverse bulbs with LED's but have concerns about bulb heat harming the lens.

_________________
2005 Silver KJ Sport CRD 138k miles
GDE ECO Tune
Rx Catch Can
Mishimoto Intercooler Hoses
Magnaflow 12226 Muffler
Bilstein HD Shocks
Firestone Destination LE2
3rd owner
2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS
6.2L V-8, 6 speed manual transmission
Engine and suspension mods by Vengeance Racing
Original owner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:15 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:52 am
Posts: 3442
Location: Columbus, Ohio. USA
tech57
Much less heat and current.
As the costs come down they will take over home lighting too :SOMBRERO:
Some German car makers are switching to LED head lights.
I read yesterday in Automotive News that car dealers are switching to them on their car lots saving $$ on electric and they are lasting much much longer saving $$ on conventional bulb replacements. But the initial cost is more. Estimated payoff on electric bill is 6 years but savings from replacing normal bulbs makes it much sooner.
AND the light makes the cars look better too :JEEPIN:

As far as automotive uses go if a vehicle has circuirty for detecting burned out bulbs the lessened current may/could cause a computer to think a bulb is out.

I've already converted my travel trailer's outside lights that uses Bargman #84 fixtures to LED's. The below conversion is more expensive then just a bulb but provides a very bright light.
http://www.easternmarine.com/bargman-se ... -42-84-410

_________________
Atlantic Blue 06 CRD Limited (his)
Joined by a 2000 XJ Classic (hers)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:30 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:26 pm
Posts: 1130
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Holy crap those backup lights are bright 8) . I don't think you changed the front indicators, did you? You can see a noticeable lag. The on/off transitions of the indicators are a lot crisper with LED.

_________________
Share your ideas freely at https://www.facebook.com/groups/libertydiesels/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:48 am
Posts: 526
Location: Mansfield, MA
22 watt? doo doo ,eze.. I just ordered 5 watt primary with additional column leds, we'll see how they compare.

I need daytime driving lights now also.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:53 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm
Posts: 2590
Location: America
I put these in the cargo area of my Sprinter, all the OE bulbs burned out and were an odd ball size, so I went with the LEDs, found out polarity is important as well. They provide sufficient light until I turn on my 2 48" Fluorescent lights.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PW ... UTF8&psc=1

Image

_________________
20 year owner of Libby CRD!
2006 LTD Bright Silver loaded with all the needed mods, CCV intact.
Equipped with HDS thermostat, plenty of heat, faster warm-ups, increased fuel mileage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:51 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:18 am
Posts: 66
The Liberty doesn't have the burn out sensors does it? I have a brake light out and don't see any indicators.

I figure this would be a good time to swap out all the rears with LEDs.

_________________
05 CRD Sport, GDE eco tune/GDE TCM/fumoto/Trac Loc/Sony Deck/Polk DB6501 DB651
06 Jetta TDI, DSG
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:25 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:48 am
Posts: 526
Location: Mansfield, MA
I did the 5 watt -
http://retro-solutions.net/product-info ... id704.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:41 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:04 am
Posts: 871
Location: Tiverton, RI
I have not done my fronts yet. I have replaced my tails on my travel trailer with LED units. I would like to save the money to get some replacement bulbs for the interior of the trailer to replace when they burn out. darn incandescents get hot. Speaking of that, my CHMSL housing was a bit melted.

I am really impressed with the 22 watts. I am thinking LED replacements for the fogs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

_________________
2006 Sport, GDE FT Eco Tune, Custom Trans Tune
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn EcoDiesel, GDE Hot Tune


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 pm
Posts: 456
Location: North Kingstown, Rhode Island
ChooChooman74 wrote:
I have not done my fronts yet. I have replaced my tails on my travel trailer with LED units. I would like to save the money to get some replacement bulbs for the interior of the trailer to replace when they burn out. darn incandescents get hot. Speaking of that, my CHMSL housing was a bit melted.

I am really impressed with the 22 watts. I am thinking LED replacements for the fogs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2



Where did you go to get the replacement fog lights in LED? I'd be seriously interested in that, too!

_________________
"Gunner": 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD GDE ECO tune Bought 01Apr16 (71K miles)
Image

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:52 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:04 am
Posts: 871
Location: Tiverton, RI
Rixram wrote:
ChooChooman74 wrote:
I have not done my fronts yet. I have replaced my tails on my travel trailer with LED units. I would like to save the money to get some replacement bulbs for the interior of the trailer to replace when they burn out. darn incandescents get hot. Speaking of that, my CHMSL housing was a bit melted.

I am really impressed with the 22 watts. I am thinking LED replacements for the fogs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2



Where did you go to get the replacement fog lights in LED? I'd be seriously interested in that, too!

I have to know first, which bulbs they are, since all publications list 2 possible bulbs -- H3-55W and the 9145.

http://autolumination.com/headlights.htm --- Scroll down a bit.

This is a 9145 LED
Image

This is a H3 LED...Not as bright...
Image

_________________
2006 Sport, GDE FT Eco Tune, Custom Trans Tune
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn EcoDiesel, GDE Hot Tune


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:53 pm
Posts: 676
Location: London, England
Are they a straight plug-in replacement?

_________________
Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:04 am
Posts: 871
Location: Tiverton, RI
Resisters for the turns, but plug and play

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

_________________
2006 Sport, GDE FT Eco Tune, Custom Trans Tune
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn EcoDiesel, GDE Hot Tune


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My LEDs on my CRD
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:48 am
Posts: 526
Location: Mansfield, MA
ChooChooman74 wrote:
Resisters for the turns, but plug and play

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2



you ordered the resistors seperately? I'm going to do my turn signals/daytime running lights


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com