LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Prospective buyer wants to know.....
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7811
Page 1 of 1

Author:  neilm [ Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Prospective buyer wants to know.....

I read this in a CRD review on the web:

"Its performance in all gears feels far superior to the 210hp, 3.7L gasoline. Not only does it feel a lot peppier, but it is definitely a lot more fun to drive than the 3.7L, which has to work hard just to keep the solidly-built Liberty moving with the traffic. "

Can that possibly be correct? I know the CRD has a turbo, but the gasser's got 6 cyl and another liter....

Thanks!

Neil

Author:  ATXKJ [ Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

But the diesel has torque, low end torque, the 6 is no comparison – Test drive one yourself

Author:  DZL_LOU [ Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Prospective buyer wants to know.....

neilm wrote:
I read this in a CRD review on the web:

"Its performance in all gears feels far superior to the 210hp, 3.7L gasoline. Not only does it feel a lot peppier, but it is definitely a lot more fun to drive than the 3.7L, which has to work hard just to keep the solidly-built Liberty moving with the traffic. "

Can that possibly be correct? I know the CRD has a turbo, but the gasser's got 6 cyl and another liter....

Thanks!

Neil


Remember, the masses buy horsepower but they drive torque. Horsepower does not move you, torque does.

Author:  mOlson [ Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

And engine size, mostly, means very little. 1.5 litre Formula 1 engines were putting out in excess of 1000hp in the 80s...

To answer your question, the diesel has plenty of power.

Author:  pnorton [ Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

I drove both and I liked the v6. I found it fun and peepy. I would not say far superior. My wife doesn't like the feel of the diesel but I love it. Have never regretted my decision. Maybe ask those who drive the V6 what they think?? We hear at this CRD forum tend to be biased.
I would not want any other vehicle! :D
Peter

Author:  oldnavy [ Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

I had the wife drive the gasser then drive the CRD, she didn't like the gasser at all, she said she didn't the sound the V6 made. To her it seemed like it had to wind itself to death to get going. That however may have had something to do with her driving diesel cars for years. Needless to say she loves her little diesel Libery and is trying to run the wheels off. It will out run my V6 Magnum in a heads up run and has out run a neighbors '05 V6 automatic Liberty more then once.

Author:  RTStabler51 [ Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

I test drove both, and thought that the CRD was a better performer for my type of driving. In DC we don't typically go very fast, so the down low grunt won easily compared to the gas. Also, t he added fuel economy is great too....

Author:  Ranger1 [ Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

I own both V6 and CRD versions of the Liberty 4x4. The 02 V6 is quieter, smoother, much better seats, but nowhere near as torquey, nor does it pass on the highway as well as the diesel. I like them both, but driving a diesel is addictive. I drive the CRD daily and my wife drives the V6. I had to drive hers the other day and liked it, but when I stepped on it to pass, I was surprised at how fast it had to downshift to get going.

The transmission on the 02 is the same as the CRD (45RFE) with only the 2nd overdrive electronically disabled. It's easy to compare them because they're identical models. Also interesting to note that the 02 45RFE does not have the shuddering that some CRD's have. It is and has been a very smooth quiet transmission since I first bought it.

Author:  Cowcatcher [ Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

I rented an '04 V-6 and drove it over 600 miles on a trip across state and over a mountain pass before buying the CRD. The CRD is more responsive to me and the fuel consumption is dramatically better.

Author:  gsbrockman [ Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

I previously owned a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 w/3.7L, auto, and 3.73:1 axle w/anti-spin. It ran great. The CRD runs better.....we have a 2.3 mile hill nearby that's a 6% grade, and, with very little throttle, you can see the speedometer climb. It's almost like the CRD is thinking "I'll show this little hill who's boss." :lol:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong......I *think* the newer 3.7L's have 3.55:1 axle ratios......is this true, and if so, as of when ?

Greg

Author:  Pablo [ Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:19 am ]
Post subject:  Gas vs. CRD

I got a rental for the day while the CRD was in the shop getting the tranny looked at. The gasser is quicker right off the line. The transmission shifted smoother. The diesel eats it alive once moving. I believe it was motor trend (maybe car and driver?) that test drove the CRD last month and rated its 0-60 at 9.5 versus the slower gas Liberty's time of 10.something. If I remember correctly, it was a second quicker. It is still not a sports car-- but it will pass at highway speed quite easy and it does not care if you pass on a hill or at high altitude-- if you say go-- it always goes. The gas one could not pass without high revving at highway speed in town-- I can't imagine how pokey it would be on a hill.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/