LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

turbo blew up
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78706
Page 1 of 1

Author:  jbraun1022 [ Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:04 am ]
Post subject:  turbo blew up

I have an 05 liberty crd. 99k on it bought it from a dealer, they brought it to a diesel shop and had them do a egr delete., has air/fuel fix, k&n filter. Has been running beautiful sense I bought it. Recently developed an oil leak. Found the boot from air box to the turbo inlet was torn. Upon looking on here very common... replaced boot and cleaned my CAC hoses and ran great for another few days. Driving home from work I make a turn amd start to accelerate and just like that no power..... it proceeded to sound like a 1950's police siren and anything over 3,000 rpm sounded like you dumped nuts into a blender. Shut it off got hauled to my shop. Got a P0299 code. Pulled the turbo and there's stuff rattling around the compressor side... seperate the turbo and found this little ball looking thing in the compressor wheel. Everything for thr variable vain stuff seemed to be accounted for.... I need to find out if it came from motor because if so I have bigger problems on my hands..... any input would be great! Thanks in advance! I will post pictures asap

Author:  GreenDieselEngineering [ Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: turbo blew up

What glow plugs are in your CRD, stock 7 volt ceramic? Do you have a CEL for a bag glow plug?

It seems the object is about 5/16 to 1/4 inch. It almost looks too big for a glow plug. It could be a portion of a valve stem and a wasted cylinder. The sound you described points that direction.

We have an engine in the shop with a dropped valve, it is not pretty and it only had 80,000 miles. All the rocker arms were shot and one gave way in the wrong position leading to stuck open valve and most likely an immediate failure.

The rocker arm design, oil type and soot mix combination is not working well in the field. The failure rate is increasing as these engines age.

Author:  jbraun1022 [ Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: turbo blew up

It was running perfectly, no codes or relative issues at all. Was planning to do timing belt in june when my wife left for some Army stuff and I would have her car to drive. Looks like im pulling the valve cover prior to bolting the new turbo on. :mrgreen:

Author:  jbraun1022 [ Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: turbo blew up

Image

this is exactly how I found it after I pulled the housing apart on the turbo.
It seems as if something from the rocker assembly or something came apart and went into the turbo. It was running completely fine and still did even though the turbo was locked up. Im at a loss I just assumed I could pull the valve cover and inspect everything but upon further review I cant just do that...any one have the tools to rent or sell to pull the cams and everything apart???

from the looks of if other pictures on here of people pulling things apart and having problems... it looks to me like I broke a lifter and its the tip of the lifter that made it into the turbo....

Author:  Hexus [ Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: turbo blew up

Your picture link doesn't work.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/