LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

CEL code shows PCM replacement necessary?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7948
Page 1 of 1

Author:  whammer [ Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:25 pm ]
Post subject:  CEL code shows PCM replacement necessary?

What is a PCM? As usual, the service rep did not know what it stood for or what it does, only that it was "part of the computer". I also asked if that could be why my mileage has dropped into the teens and he said "sure", but could give no explanation why. Anyone else had this code? By the way, the part is on backorder for an unknown length of time, I'll get an "orange card" in the mail when its in....thanks...W

Author:  kjfishman [ Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: CEL code shows PCM replacement necessary?

whammer wrote:
What is a PCM? As usual, the service rep did not know what it stood for or what it does, only that it was "part of the computer". I also asked if that could be why my mileage has dropped into the teens and he said "sure", but could give no explanation why. Anyone else had this code? By the way, the part is on backorder for an unknown length of time, I'll get an "orange card" in the mail when its in....thanks...W


In my work world PCM is Pulse code modulation.. in the Jeep world it is a computer module used to contol the engine fuel management system and more. I think we also have BCM ( body control module) that almost all things electrical go throught. It does things like control the power door locks and interior lighting and more. Nothings simple anymore.

Author:  vwbill [ Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

My '93 Dodge Dakota called a PCM a Powertrain Control Module. Controlled everything electrical.
William

Author:  2003KJ [ Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

PCM does stand for Powertrain Control Module. How low has your MPG dropped specifically, and exactly what code is being thrown by the computer? I've never heard of such a code saying that the PCM needs to be replaced....not saying that it doesn't exist, just saying ive never heard of one. And since the PCM does control most of the electrical, one would think you'd be having electrical problems like nobody's business :?:

Author:  retmil46 [ Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:05 am ]
Post subject: 

Better check with them to make sure they get the right module. If you check the FSM, gassers have PCM's, CRD's have ECM's - Engine Control Modules. Yes, they are two entirely different modules, different connectors, different harnesses. CYA, better call the tech back and make sure they understand.

The PCM fault code is probably a generic carryover from the gas version, but means the same - computer is FUBAR.

Author:  whammer [ Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dealer did call and tell me that it actually was an ECM not a PCM that I need and it is in fact on backorder....he also asked me where I got the green gas cap so I don't have too much faith in them as far as CRD's go. I hope it comes quickly, they had no idea when to expect it but I'm on track to get right at 15 mpg this tank. I usually get mid 20's mixed....if only they could give me some free diesel because hey, its not my fault that its on backorder and I'm suffering at the pump until they get it in. Keep dreaming, right?

Author:  boxhead [ Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

You know, I've had 401 and 299 codes for three weeks. (bad EGR) everytime I go to the dealer, it's a day or two to "look at it." I asked them to order the EGR based on the codes. Won't do it. I leave it for two days. Guess what they tell me? "It's got a bad EGR. We'll have one next week, do you want to leave it?" The really good service writer has gone to another dealership. I'm starting to think I may just see if my local Dodge dealer will do my warranty work for me. At least there they have actual diesel mechanics.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/