LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

p0093 large fuel leak
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79529
Page 1 of 1

Author:  fenwood [ Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:34 pm ]
Post subject:  p0093 large fuel leak

Had a P0093 large fuel leak. '06 2.8 would not start. After tons of cash with dealer dumbies and tons of lost jeep (parts changing) hours, (no, it wasn't the fuel filter, or injectors....) the CRD finally runs. I changed the cp3 fuel injector pump. 6 hours tear down. 9 hours reinstall. 79k on the crd. yes, I did change the timing belt while I was in there. Yes, the pump HAS a key for timing. No, I did not use cam holding tool or remove cam gears. Yes, I did use cam lock pins. Use a paint pen for marking all gear placement.

1 local pump rebuilder charged me over 500 just to test the crd and then told me they CANNOT rebuild the jeep pumps(AFTER they charged me 500. for testing, even after I told them I had low psi on pump 2300psi...urgg) I've been a Bosch fan for a very long time and that name always held a trust with me until now. The local pump rebuilders have their hands tied on franchising the "Jeep" cp3 parts. They can't rebuild them due to Jeep gangsters! So, if you're not afraid to change the belt(not my first time around) you CAN fairly easily change the pump yourself but just walk in and buy a rebuilt unit. I paid 840. exchanged. Here's what I found in the pump before I gave back exchange core. One scored pump piston and a small internal oring that was broke. What I was told by a very good cp3 (non-jeep) rebuilder "don't run any cp3 low on fuel due to internal heat build up and lubrication break down due to aeration. There is very close tolerances in the pump pistons and they can't take constant abuse or aeration from overheated fuel." And, you don't have to put an external fuel pump on these crds. Save your money. On my other '06 with 206k, I always add about a teaspoon of injector pump lub (standyne) every 3rd or 4th tankful. If the pump reads lower than 4000psi......change it! Only tool I would have liked to have was the tool that holds the pump gear while your put 65ft lb's on the lock down nut. I cut the old belt and doubled it up as a jamb. The outside cast cover can't take too much bending so be careful. If there is a next time, I will build a tool for holding that gear. Wife and I still love our CRD's. Good luck!

Author:  thermorex [ Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: p0093 large fuel leak

Thanks for sharing. What is your opinion about the rebuilt pump. Does it perform like a new one? Just wonder if it worth buying a new one.

Author:  samse2101 [ Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: p0093 large fuel leak

Hi fenwood,

had the same work one year ago to do -> http://www.jeep4fun.at/jeepforum/viewto ... =6&t=35147

but i took me some more time -> 45hours in 69days.... :x was the first bigger repair at my KJ... :oops:

But like you said: here in Austria there are also only a few Bosch-Dealer who can test such a CP3 pump, but only one or two in the whole state are authorized to repair it...*damned*

So i bought the seal kit myself fom Bosch an did my way.... :twisted: And now it works fine in my car... :D

Image

btw.: my CRD had 98k miles on it at this repair.... :shock:

bye,
samse

Author:  lostFinn [ Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: p0093 large fuel leak

samse2101 wrote:
Hi fenwood,

had the same work one year ago to do -> http://www.jeep4fun.at/jeepforum/viewto ... =6&t=35147

but i took me some more time -> 45hours in 69days.... :x was the first bigger repair at my KJ... :oops:

But like you said: here in Austria there are also only a few Bosch-Dealer who can test such a CP3 pump, but only one or two in the whole state are authorized to repair it...*damned*

So i bought the seal kit myself fom Bosch an did my way.... :twisted: And now it works fine in my car... :D

Image

btw.: my CRD had 98k miles on it at this repair.... :shock:

bye,
samse


Does this seal kit also include seals for pump shaft?

Author:  samse2101 [ Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: p0093 large fuel leak

There are some more infos about the kit and the inside of the pump... :wink:

i´m sorry, it´s only in german, but pics are more worth than 1000 words.. :D

-> http://www.jeep4fun.at/jeepforum/viewto ... 17&t=35195

Author:  lostFinn [ Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: p0093 large fuel leak

samse2101 wrote:
There are some more infos about the kit and the inside of the pump... :wink:

i´m sorry, it´s only in german, but pics are more worth than 1000 words.. :D

-> http://www.jeep4fun.at/jeepforum/viewto ... 17&t=35195


Ok, thanks. :) And that german is not a big problem, I understand it quite well... :D

Author:  dgeist [ Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: p0093 large fuel leak

moved to discussion section.

Author:  fenwood [ Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: p0093 large fuel leak

Thought I would post an update on the p0093 code - large fuel leak - cp3 change. I have put on 53k+ miles with no issues since I replaced the cp3 pump. Summary: DO NOT run your fuel tank low on fuel. We faithfully use the stanadyne fuel additive every 3rd or so tank filling.

If this happens again, I might try the rebuild and seal fix myself. Between 2 lib crd's, my wife and I have logged more than 400k.

Author:  flash7210 [ Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: p0093 large fuel leak

So what was the failure mode? Low fuel?
Like, how low? Completely empty?

What about other components like the cascade overflow valve and fuel quantity solenoid?

I agree that using some sort of fuel additive like PowerService or 2-stroke engine oil is good for keeping the pump internals lubed.
But I also think that adding a lift pump is a good way to prevent fuel aeration.

The CRD CP3 is pretty much the same as the Duramax CP3. Sure, the piston sizes might be different but all the internals function the same. I dont see any reason why any diesel injection shop cannot repair a CP3.
Some Duramax guys are using a Fuel Air Separation System (FASS) at over 100psi.
Although I think that pressure is too high and most of these FASS things are overkill for the CRD.

Author:  WWDiesel [ Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: p0093 large fuel leak

flash7210 wrote:
I agree that using some sort of fuel additive like PowerService or 2-stroke engine oil is good for keeping the pump internals lubed.
But I also think that adding a lift pump is a good way to prevent fuel aeration.

I totally agree on the in-tank lift pump and adding 2-stroke engine oil along with Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel at every fill-up!!!

Fuel passing through the CP3 is the ONLY thing that lubricates the internal working parts of the CP3 and the injectors!
Feed it a steady diet of air infused diesel fuel or high particle count fuel and you will be replacing the CP3 pump and / or the injectors! :frankie:

Two items every Jeep CRD owner should have installed: an in-tank lift pump, and a very high efficenicy secondary fuel filter that filters fuel to 2-3 microns.... :wink:

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/