LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

P0234
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80709
Page 1 of 1

Author:  flman [ Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:34 pm ]
Post subject:  P0234

So I got the head, head gasket, weeks kit, and ARP studs all installed, and I should have took the Jeep in for inspection before hand, but now I took it in and it had a P0234. So I checked the linkage, hoses cleaned map sensor etc. Cleared the code, took it for a ride and flogged the he11 out of it. And now it says MAP reading too high (did not write down the code).

So just wondering if this is a combo of the greater air flow with the weeks kit, or maybe my MAP needs to be replaced, it was not even dirty.

Author:  toby [ Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: P0234

I struggled with the same issue and found the sensor to be just slightly out of range and would read 2psi higher than specified intermittently, I swapped one from another crd jeep I have and haven't had a single issue since.

Author:  flman [ Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: P0234

toby wrote:
I struggled with the same issue and found the sensor to be just slightly out of range and would read 2psi higher than specified intermittently, I swapped one from another crd jeep I have and haven't had a single issue since.


Thanks, I think I will just order a new one.

Author:  GreenDieselEngineering [ Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: P0234

You may want to check the turbo vane rod for 1/2 inch movement when vacuum is removed/connected a few times at idle.

Author:  flman [ Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: P0234

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
You may want to check the turbo vane rod for 1/2 inch movement when vacuum is removed/connected a few times at idle.


I connected it to vacuum source and it had about a 1/2" of travel. Is is more important to do it with the engines vacuum?

I am pretty sure the MAP code was P0108.

Author:  weeks101 [ Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: P0234

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
You may want to check the turbo vane rod for 1/2 inch movement when vacuum is removed/connected a few times at idle.

Agreed. The veins may be sticking if the map sensor turns out to not be the issue.

Author:  flman [ Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: P0234

Well it might have been something as simple as an air filter. Just checked and it was filthy, could not even see light through it.

Per FSM:

Quote:
Possible Causes

AIR FILTER

AIR RESTRICTION

AIR LEAKS

BOOST CONTROL VACUUM SUPPLY

BOOST PRESSURE ACTUATOR

TURBOCHARGER



With 4 vehicles, plus power equipment to maintain, I am slipping in my old age? :oops:

Author:  flman [ Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: P0234

Well, got the P0234 again today, so I pulled of the wastegate actuator and sprayed it up with some WD40, got it freed up and it is loose as a goose. I guess the only movement I was seeing was slack in the linkage.

Author:  greiswig [ Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: P0234

flman wrote:
Well, got the P0234 again today, so I pulled of the wastegate actuator and sprayed it up with some WD40, got it freed up and it is loose as a goose. I guess the only movement I was seeing was slack in the linkage.


As I wrote elsewhere, that can be deceptive: I was seeing about 1/4" ove movement in the vacuum actuator for the variable vanes (not a wastegate) even though the vanes were seized tight. It is difficult to really measure.

Once freed up, you should see 12-13mm movement on that actuator arm. If you can measure more precisely, you may find that it isn't as much as you thought.

Author:  dgeist [ Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: P0234

Getting this code (and p0108) as of today right after I "got on" the skinny pedal in traffic, and it was accompanied by what sounded like a mild metallic chatter from the area of the turbo which went away quickly and didn't come back...Can someone describe where the actuator is on the unit? This and the cool-side intercooler hose (which is due for replacement with a samco in the garage anyway) are the two likely suspects, methinks.

Dan

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/