LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Timing belt replacement and GDE tunes
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81424
Page 1 of 1

Author:  asonyi [ Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Timing belt replacement and GDE tunes

Was wondering with people that had their timing belts replaced along with all the other parts typical with this job, does your ECU get reset in the process? Do you lose your GDE Eco, Hot or whichever program during this replacement? Not sure with re-timing the engine and all, if the ECU has to be handled in any way. Any and all info would be helpful. Just inquiring pre-emptively.

Author:  kayaker2 [ Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement and GDE tunes

asonyi,
I am getting ready for a full timing belt kit install as soon as possible. I removed the ECU to send it to GDE for programing and then putting it right back in Thinking, If I do use my local dealer they just might flash the Ecu on Me and I would have to send it back in the second time. so the KJ is sitting until I find some one here just southwest of Chicago to do the job right.
Kayaker2

Author:  ebbnflow [ Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement and GDE tunes

Your ECU will be fine unless whoever does your timing belt job decides to flash your ECU (..cough.. Stealership ..cough..)

Unplugging it does not affect the program flashed to the ECU.

Author:  geordi [ Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement and GDE tunes

Kayaker2... You aren't alone in this, and depending on the route, you could be taken care of on my way around. I will be going to Toronto at some point in the relatively near future, so a drive is already in the works.

Author:  joelukex4 [ Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement and GDE tunes

I am on the north side of Chicago and will be needing a timing belt change soon. I am looking for someone to do the timing belt also. I already have the kit purchased.

Author:  kayaker2 [ Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement and GDE tunes

joelukex4 do you have GDE tune now? I may just get the GDE tool and keep it.I am still seriously thinking about the geordi route and geting this project moving.
kayaker2 the Alchemist

Author:  mikey1273 [ Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement and GDE tunes

I had the tune since 2010 when my Jeep had barely over 50,000 miles on it... Susquehanna Dodge Jeep did my timing belt service in May 2014. I really wanted an independent shop but I couldn't seem to get anyone local with more CRD experience than Susquehanna's diesel mechanic and geordi wasn't coming by then. they did not flash my ECU. you can tell the GDE tune has a short fast idle at start up the stock tune doesn't.

Author:  joelukex4 [ Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement and GDE tunes

kayaker2 wrote:
joelukex4 do you have GDE tune now? I may just get the GDE tool and keep it.I am still seriously thinking about the geordi route and geting this project moving.
kayaker2 the Alchemist


Kayaker2 - yes I have a GDE tune for a couple of years now. I have never had any work done on the Liberty so it has never been flashed. I sent the ECU in for the tune. I will be taking it in for some recalls this spring and will probably tape over the plug in port and inform the service manager.

I will PM you regarding the timing belt situation.

Author:  kayaker2 [ Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement and GDE tunes

Well the GDE tune went well Sunday night emailed the tune at 7pm and Kieth returned the update within 15 minutes.
I really thought I would have to wait until the next afternoon.
Now the timing belts next step maybe the thermostat too Keep adding things to the list.
kayaker2

Author:  geordi [ Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Timing belt replacement and GDE tunes

It was ever thus...

Toronto is going to be the late week/weekend of the second week in April, so if anyone wants me to stop by... Now's the chance to get your deposit in and lock in your spot!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/