LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Front diff R&R
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=84022
Page 1 of 1

Author:  cody.vandieren [ Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Front diff R&R

Need to remove the front diff on my CRD. Im pretty sure the pinion bearing is out.
Is there a write-up on removing and rebuilding the diff? I searched the tech section and couldnt find anything.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Author:  olypopper [ Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front diff R&R

There are a couple of videos on youtube. Just look up a video for a Dana 30 rebuild. Make sure you replace the intermediate shaft bearing and seals while you've got it out.

Author:  cody.vandieren [ Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front diff R&R

Thank you that will help.
Can I remove the diff without removing the cv shafts or do they have to be removed as well?

Author:  tomasnc [ Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Front diff R&R

Cody,

I think you will have to remove the CV's. To remove the ring and pinion the axles from both the driver and passenger sides will have to out of your way. I put in a used passenger CV joint that I had from my first CRD with 90,000 miles and thought it was OK. Wrong. It has already failed. You may be well served to replace both CV axles too while you are into this major of a project. If you have access to a lift I would use it. I'm sure you know all of this. I will own a two post lift in short order. Working from a creeper stinks.

Best of luck.

Tom

Author:  cody.vandieren [ Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front diff R&R

tomasnc wrote:
Cody,

I think you will have to remove the CV's. To remove the ring and pinion the axles from both the driver and passenger sides will have to out of your way. I put in a used passenger CV joint that I had from my first CRD with 90,000 miles and thought it was OK. Wrong. It has already failed. You may be well served to replace both CV axles too while you are into this major of a project. If you have access to a lift I would use it. I'm sure you know all of this. I will own a two post lift in short order. Working from a creeper stinks.

Best of luck.

Tom



Good to know thank you. Checked amazon for cv shafts and only 56 bucks a piece so thats not bad. Unfortunately no lift so i will be working from a creeper :(

Author:  tomasnc [ Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front diff R&R

The internet will save you a lot of $$$ on those parts. The AutoZone and Oreilly's are pricey.

Author:  cody.vandieren [ Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front diff R&R

So got front diff removed. Much more work than I expected. :? Disassembled diff and did find what I was hoping to. Fluid was pretty black considering I just changed it about 6k ago. All bearings and gears looked good.

Im not sure if its the transfer case thats giving me problems or what?

A little background to what my symptom is....when i have the driveshaft from the T-case to the front diff hooked up I have a terrible growl that gets worse with speed. It was getting so bad that the Jeep barely could keep a steady speed of 30 MPH. It almost felt like as if I was riding the front brakes all the time. This was in 2wd. Did not try 4wd. With driveshaft unhooked everything sounds and drives normal.

The boot on the rear of the driveshaft was torn so I rebuild the rear part with a Detroit axle kit. Did not make a difference, if anything id say worse. Both ends of the driveshaft dont bind when i mess with them by hand. Im leaning towards the driveshaft....have a hard time believing the T-case could be at fault. Dont really wanna spend 300 bucks on a new driveshaft and have it do the same thing. Unless someone has a used shaft I could pick up for cheap??? :)

The 4wd yoke on the T-case spins and sounds fine when spinning by hand but thats with no load so who knows....

Anyone ever had a symptom like this or have any suggestions???

Author:  flash7210 [ Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Front diff R&R

I would get all four wheels up on jack stands, start up the engine, and put it in 4wd. See if you can reproduce the sound that way and identify the location of that sound.
Might be a little bit easier to diagnose when all 4 wheels are spining but the vehicle isnt going anywhere.

Author:  olypopper [ Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front diff R&R

My jeep started the same type symptoms the day after I installed a 1.5 OME lift kit.......about 5 minutes after the front end was aligned.

Took it home and put it on Jack stands to test run in 4wd. No noise found and all the Cv axles felt tight with no slop. Dropped it to the ground and crawled under. Immediately found the passenger front driveshaft to be very wobbly at the point it mates with the diff axle tube. Pulled cv's and diff. Bushing, intermediate shaft and female splines of cv axle are shot. Had to pound the two shafts apart. Splines were bone dry and likely worn out many miles ago and the lift just made the problem more prevalent.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/