This weekend I changed my transmission filters (and filter seal), partly for scheduled maintenance, and partly to address the drain back issue. I worked my way up to 10qts of fluid back in the transmission, starting with 5qts per the service manual. I did this by adding fluid, driving around the block, adding more, etc. I don't know how much fluid originally came out of the transmission because I spilled so much.
I now have a hard shift from 2-3. Like others who have had this issue described, it feels like you've tapped the brakes during the shift. It had never done this before my filter change.
I understand that the transmission software learns as you drive. Will it automatically learn a smooth shift? Is there a trick/method I need to follow to have it learn from scratch? (such as just unplugging the battery)
I'm also worried about the fluid level. The FSM features a nice Fluid Fill Level vs Temperature graph, but I have no way of knowing the transmission temperature. Right now it is just below the first "HOT" hole on the dipstick after a 30 mile interstate run in 60*F weather. The FSM states that the fluid should be at the second "HOT" hole at 180*F fluid temperature. What scenario will make me hit the 180* mark? I could just add fluid until I hit the second hole, but the FSM also states that overfilling the transmission is just as bad as under filling due to fluid cavitation.
BTW, has anyone noticed that the Mopar fluid is almost purple?