It is currently Sat Oct 10, 2026 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be removed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:23 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:04 pm
Posts: 21
Hello, I'm replacing the timing belt on a 2006 Jeep CRD. I have removed everything except for the crankshaft pulley. I removed the 4 ten mm bolts. I'm told that the 21 mm bolt does not need to be removed. However the crankshaft pulley is not moving. Does the 21 mm bolt need to come out or is something else holding the pulley in place. Thankyou.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:02 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:37 pm
Posts: 52
Location: Wisconsin
The 21mm does not need to come off. Your pulley should come right off, but sounds like yours is seized on a little.

_________________
I can do a job quick, good, or cheap, pick ONE. :)


2005 Jeep Liberty CRD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:04 pm
Posts: 21
I'm placing a piece of lead as a cushion on the pulley and pounding the lead with an 8 ounce hammer. Nothing is moving. I do not want to mar the pulley. Thanks for the info. I get a larger hammer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:31 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:37 pm
Posts: 52
Location: Wisconsin
If you have one, use a dead blow hammer. Good luck! I just did my belt a couple weeks ago

_________________
I can do a job quick, good, or cheap, pick ONE. :)


2005 Jeep Liberty CRD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 80
Location: Long Island, New York
I had to give mine 1 good blow with a 4 lb lump hammer and it popped right off. The small hammer just wasn't doing it. Don't forget some pb blaster.

_________________
05 Liberty crd 185k miles / Lifters and rockers, arp studs, h.d.s. thermostat, weeks stage 1+2, carter lift pump with sasquatch harness, gen 2 filter head, hemi t/c, 245/70r16 bfg a/t ko2, on board air, uniden pro 520xl
4.10s with a detroit locker in the rear and e-locker up front
Next up....skids and GDE eco FT.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:51 pm
Posts: 6302
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
If brute force isn't working, you aren't using enough.

Large prybar (screwdriver) between the pulley and the inner cover. Do it on the outside edge of the cover where there is some support, and bang the screwdriver in between the cover and the pulley. It should push it right off.

Have some cardboard against the radiator to protect it. You won't hurt the pulley itself.

_________________
Proud supporting vendor of LOST Jeeps
TRAVELING CRD TECH. I come to you!
Need help? Just ask! I've taken it apart more than most.
Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 225 CRDs currently driving with my valves, timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:04 pm
Posts: 21
So I'm still putting the Jeep back together. I lost the timing relationship of the crankshaft to the camshafts. It was easy to pin the intake camshaft. The exhaust camshaft was harder but I finally have it pinned. The next step is to rotate the crankshaft in the direction of rotation when running to the proper three oclock mark and/or lining up the holes in the bellhousing and flex plate. When I rotate the crankshaft it locks up. It must be up against one or more valves. I know I can rotate in the opposite direction. If I rotate in the opposite direction will I get to the three oclock position or will it bind again. This situation tells me I should have had the crankshaft timed before working on the camshafts. Thankyou.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:56 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:04 pm
Posts: 21
I'm asking what to do to get this working again. Thankyou.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 2:27 pm
Posts: 834
Location: Milford, IL
You can just unlock the camshafts and let all the valves back up. Then set the crank, then re pen the camshafts

_________________
2005 Crd Silver Limited- arps, rockers, 7v etechno's, egr deleted, v6 airbox, metal cac's. Yeti's stage 2 tune. Euro TC, Ram tcm, pml transmission pan, facet lift pump


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:05 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:51 pm
Posts: 108
Location: Merrimac, MA
I could be wrong but when I just did mine, I got the crankshaft into position first and then locked the camshafts. This way when I turn the camshafts to get them into position there is no chance of a valve contacting a piston.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

_________________
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited - Rebuilt at 145K
GDE Eco Tune
Weeks 1+2
ARP Studs
New rockers + Valves
New #1 pistion and all connecting rods
New Crankshaft
Carter In-Tank Pump


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7455
Location: Central GA
ernest wrote:
This situation tells me I should have had the crankshaft timed before working on the camshafts.

That is correct, having the crankshaft flywheel pinned in the correct position will allow you to rotate the cams to the correct position to pin them as required for proper timing.....
With the crankshaft in the proper pinned position, all the pistons are at half travel in their respective bores so rotating cams is not an issue as the valves will not be able to contact the pistons! :wink:

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:33 pm
Posts: 1128
Location: Jackson,TN
May not matter now but did you lock the cam gears? Did you loosen the cam gear nuts? Did you use something like drill bits or a screw in pin to hold cams? If you torqued the cam nuts have you verified that the pins have not broken? This gets confusing depending on nomenclature etc. Did you put witness marks? If so did you count on these to be accurate on cam ? They won't be if you loosened nuts withough gear lock in place.

_________________
05 Blu LIM, OME GDE Tbo, wk II 245/75/17, KC Lights, bull bar, 195K H TC
05 Blu Lim, Dayton, GDE HT, 255/75/18 , 210K , H TC
06 Bla Lim, GDE Eco, Destination AT 245/75/17, 151K, H TC
06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:33 pm
Posts: 1128
Location: Jackson,TN
WW Diesel is correct. Questions were mainly to see what might have caused the problem to prevent next time.

_________________
05 Blu LIM, OME GDE Tbo, wk II 245/75/17, KC Lights, bull bar, 195K H TC
05 Blu Lim, Dayton, GDE HT, 255/75/18 , 210K , H TC
06 Bla Lim, GDE Eco, Destination AT 245/75/17, 151K, H TC
06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:04 pm
Posts: 21
I bought some pins from the internet. I did not remove the camshaft timing belt gear. When I un pin the camshafts where do I rotate the camshafts. With the pins in place they are positioned at 90 degrees ATDC. Where do they need to be so that the valves dont interfere with the crankshaft.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New timing belt, does bolt in crankshaft need to be remo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 2:27 pm
Posts: 834
Location: Milford, IL
You should remove the cam gears. Might as well replace the water pump while your in there. But to answer your question, once you remove the pins they should roll themselves off the 2 valves they are on. With the cam gears off you'll be able to see the key ways the shafts have. The intake will need to be at 9 o'clock to get back locked and the exhaust cam will be at 3 o'clock

_________________
2005 Crd Silver Limited- arps, rockers, 7v etechno's, egr deleted, v6 airbox, metal cac's. Yeti's stage 2 tune. Euro TC, Ram tcm, pml transmission pan, facet lift pump


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com