| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Blackstone Oil Analysis - Top end wear? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=86653 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | mass-hole [ Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Blackstone Oil Analysis - Top end wear? |
![]() So this was a blackstone report I got back recently and it showed very high levels of the aluminum, chromium and iron in the oil. This was taken ~5000 miles after installing my amsoil dual bypass filter kit but also a couple thousand miles after doing my TB, WP, ARP Studs and Rocker Arms. What do the experts around here think? I have another sample on the way out to them now as I just did the oil yesterday. Oh and a side note, after 5k miles the TBN on the Rotella T6 was still a 7.9 so it looks like it could go quite a bit farther. |
|
| Author: | GordnadoCRD [ Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:57 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Blackstone Oil Analysis - Top end wear? |
Personally, I would want more data, preferably consecutive samples, and preferably with similar driving styles and distances, before making a decision what to do. But that's me, and I sincerely hope you have plenty of opportunity to satisfy your mind as to what you feel is right for you. |
|
| Author: | mass-hole [ Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:20 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Blackstone Oil Analysis - Top end wear? |
GordnadoCRD wrote: Personally, I would want more data, preferably consecutive samples, and preferably with similar driving styles and distances, before making a decision what to do. But that's me, and I sincerely hope you have plenty of opportunity to satisfy your mind as to what you feel is right for you. Its running totally fine and I am running the new Amsoil 2 micron bypass so I was a bit surprised. I have a 2nd sample in the mail right now. I guess I was looking to see if anyone thought the new rockers or something else might contribute to the high metal content. I guess it doesnt matter, I have to keep driving it till it blows up if its gunna. |
|
| Author: | synthetic-oil [ Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:56 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Blackstone Oil Analysis - Top end wear? |
I'm an AMSOIL dealer and there has been a lot of discussion on our forum about Blackstone. I test 3 analyzers a few years back. Blackstone didn't align with the other two. |
|
| Author: | Mountainman [ Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:38 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Blackstone Oil Analysis - Top end wear? |
I bet that's typical of all those new parts wearing to fit each other. I'd wait for two more oil changes then test again
|
|
| Author: | mrhemi [ Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Blackstone Oil Analysis - Top end wear? |
That report write up looks very familiar. Word for word the same as I used to get back from them for reciprocating aircraft engines. Back then when they were trying to break into the aviation market, it was obvious by their reports that they were not up to speed on the internals of Continentals & Lycomings. So, as an experiment, we sent them 3 samples of the same oil change with different aircraft registration numbers on the samples bottles. The results came back with extremely different analysis quantities and assessments, of what was in fact the same sample. Never sent them anything since, nor will I. I have put 100000kms on mine in the last 1 1/2 years. Rotella 5W40 T6 changed every 10000kms. It looks just about as clean coming out as it goes in, but I have no desire to lengthen the interval. |
|
| Author: | thermorex [ Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:50 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Blackstone Oil Analysis - Top end wear? |
I think you have all that wear due to having all the new parts in. Water pump is not a factor since it doesn't touch oil, but rockers do. Maybe some aluminum is from the studs also, since you probably dug a bit into the head when you torqued them. Check the next TBN and see, I wouldn't panic yet. And with Rotella t6 go 10k unless you want to throw away your money, you have gde tune as I know and that runs quite clean. I'd get samples every thousand or 2k miles and see if the metals increase drastically. I one haven't had an issue with Blackstone. Edit: can you bypass your 2micron setup? I'm not sure how you installed it, but there are procedures that you need to follow so you won't starve your engine of oil. If it's easy to just go back to stock, just to see how your metals are, would be a good idea. Even if you don't like it, lol. In my opinion you don't need such a filtration as long as the TBN is good. 18 wheelers use them since for 5-10 gallons per oil change and 100k+ miles/year it gets expensive. Personal opinion obviously, I'd try bypassing the bypass just to make sure you don't starve your engine of oil, it doesn't hurt to try it. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|