| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| good ol' limp mode :( http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=89279 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Pete M [ Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | good ol' limp mode :( |
code reader shows p1186 which it says is "fuel pressure minimum pressure at engine speed too low". but in my searches I found it to mean the Mercedes sensor (I've done a visual inspection of the sensor and its wires seem fine). Thinking that my Jeep has finally succumbed to an air leak (one time it stumbled so bad I had to pull over and bleed some air), I installed a pusher pump under the rear seats (and changed the fuel filter for good measure). the idle has improved, but the 1186 code keeps coming back. thoughts? |
|
| Author: | papaindigo [ Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
Remove plug from sensor; inspect and clean contacts; reattach plug. Might help won't hurt. Sometimes plug is lose or plug lock is not fully engaged. |
|
| Author: | Pete M [ Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:34 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
I'll try that! which sensor is which on the fuel rail? there's one on the side and one at the back. |
|
| Author: | flash7210 [ Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
The “Mercedes sensor” is the small sensor on the side of air filter box lid. Check it and make sure it’s firmly connected. Yes, check it. If it’s not connected you will get reduced power. Near the middle of the fuel rail is the fuel rail pressure sensor. If it’s faulty it will set a p0093 or p0193 code. At the end of the rail is the fuel rail pressure solenoid. If it fails the engine will barely run, if at all. |
|
| Author: | Pete M [ Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:03 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
ok, so it's definitely not the fuel rail sensors. I'm starting to think that this code reader has sent me on a wild goose chase. I'm heading into town for the first drive since messing with the Mercedes sensor. I'll report back later. If this turns out to just be a sketchy sensor, is there a source out there for a new one? my searches keep finding used ones. |
|
| Author: | WWDiesel [ Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
Pete M wrote: If this turns out to just be a sketchy sensor, is there a source out there for a new one? my searches keep finding used ones. IAP sensor - 05101120AB (intake air pressure sensor on side of airbox) air inlet air pressure comparator pressure sensor on the side of the air box; also referred to as the Mercedes sensor Bosch part number for this is 0261230189. And it is also known by Mercedes OEM Code: A0051535028 Autozone PN: 0261230189 (they list it as a MAP sensor) part numbers or go to Autozone. |
|
| Author: | Pete M [ Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
thanks! I pulled the plug and went for a drive. same codes and same restrictions as before. I'm going to say that's a clue! |
|
| Author: | Pete M [ Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:50 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
well, if it's a clue, it's a red herring. a new sensor changes nothing. |
|
| Author: | Pete M [ Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
I downloaded a 2006 factory manual and cannot find a p1186 code in it anywhere. |
|
| Author: | WWDiesel [ Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
Pete M wrote: I downloaded a 2006 factory manual and cannot find a p1186 code in it anywhere. P1186 - per GDE from an older LOST post: It is a plausibility fault on the airbox pressure sensor (on side of air box with little Mercedes logo). could be a bad connection, wire, or sensor is going bad.
|
|
| Author: | Billybob [ Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:07 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
You will need to physically trace the wiring from the sensor to the ECM to watch for chaffing to engine/chassis...not easy when it disappears into the wiring harness. Bear in mind the 2006 LHD CRD has a known problem that the Fuel Filter Head Mounting Bracket can damage the wiring harness going behind it. Remove this Mounting Bracket and check That the harness behind it is not chaffing down to chassis or has broken wires in that area! |
|
| Author: | Dzldust [ Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:42 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
Wonder if one of the clips is missing on the air box and it’s not sealing proper will this cause a problem with the Mercedes sensor? I have a limp mode I cannot fix for the life of me lately |
|
| Author: | Pete M [ Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:11 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
my airbox seems to be on securely. update on my Jeep: I don't have any updates. been driving it when needed by mostly just ignoring the dang thing. next step is still a trip to the junkyard for a gas fuel pump assembly and rear wire harness. once I have that I'll take the libby offline for an pump installation and to further track down the merc sensor wires. I've got some free time and decent weather coming up so maybe later this week? I will update as events warrant. |
|
| Author: | WWDiesel [ Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
Pete M wrote: my airbox seems to be on securely. update on my Jeep: I don't have any updates. been driving it when needed by mostly just ignoring the dang thing. next step is still a trip to the junkyard for a gas fuel pump assembly and rear wire harness. once I have that I'll take the libby offline for an pump installation and to further track down the merc sensor wires. I've got some free time and decent weather coming up so maybe later this week? I will update as events warrant. DO NOT use a fuel pump from a gaser Libby; they are high pressure fuel pumps and will damage your CP3 injection pump. The wiring harness is OK to use, just not the intank fuel pump. In-tank lift pump options for the Liberty CRD: CARTER P76148M (best choice) AIRTEX E7181M MOPAR 52121447AD |
|
| Author: | Pete M [ Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
interesting. that contradicts the info I was given. time for plan C I guess. (or am I on plan E?) can I use the assembly and swap out the pump for a different model? |
|
| Author: | WWDiesel [ Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
Pete M wrote: interesting. that contradicts the info I was given. time for plan C I guess. (or am I on plan E?) can I use the assembly and swap out the pump for a different model? Not sure, don't remember anyone ever posting on LOST of doing it, but it sounds logical if you can find the right low pressure pump. 10 - 15 pisg. Not sure if the fuel tanks and tank units are the same on a gasser? Some others on here may know like TJ who has dealt with gassers a bunch.
|
|
| Author: | Pete M [ Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:19 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: good ol' limp mode :( |
update. I'm now convinced it's that airbox sensor. went into limp mode the other day and I discovered that my attempt to put pressure on the plug failed (no big surprise as it was just electrical tape after all). Used a zip tie this time, cleared the codes and all is well. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|