| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Transmission problems http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90345 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Ghostknight [ Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Transmission problems |
Hey Everyone, When I’m accelerating to get up to speed, it feels like the transmission gets to the shift point and just stays there and RPMs just continue to climb. If I let off the throttle and drop the RPMs below ~2500, sometimes that allows it to shift to the next gear. I can get it up to 75 MPH doing this, but it takes a very long time. Haven’t tried to go any faster because I’m unfamiliar with this area and 75 is already 20 over (oh how I miss Texas) At any speed, if I give it full throttle, The RPMs will shoot up to about 3000 and the Jeep sounds like it's choking and doesn't respond. it will drive indefinitely like this at whatever speed I was going before I gave the throttle It has a really hard time with hills, but I couldn't tell you what the gears are doing there. Sometimes this doesn’t even happen, and the jeep runs perfectly normal. It seems to be decided on startup if this will happen, but there is no discernible pattern. I have 0 codes for this problem I was going to do some driving with O/D off to see what it does, but I tore up my turbo inlet hose yesterday, so I won’t be doing any more experimentation until Tuesday or Wednesday. Any ideas? Anyone Know a good transmission shop in Exton, PA? |
|
| Author: | layback40 [ Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:23 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Transmission problems |
Sounds like a failed torque converter. Does it ever lock? If it did it would behave while the TC was locked. |
|
| Author: | flash7210 [ Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:30 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Transmission problems |
First thing to do is check the fluid level. |
|
| Author: | TKB4 [ Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Transmission problems |
And remember the transmission generally does better with a quart or so overfill. |
|
| Author: | Ghostknight [ Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:50 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Transmission problems |
I had a service done on it and have the fluids at what I believe is the right level. I put in a few extra quarts when I got it back so should be 7 in it, and the fluid is well over the full line on the dipstick (checked with the engine at temp idling in park) Quote: Sounds like a failed torque converter. Does it ever lock? If it did it would behave while the TC was locked. I'll be honest, I have no idea how to tell when The TC locks. There's no change in the performance once it gets to the speed it should lock up, though. Is there a way to tell if the TC is bad without taking it out and inspecting it? |
|
| Author: | TKB4 [ Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:03 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Transmission problems |
What kind of service? Was the service performed before the problem with it or after? What fluid was put in the transmission? If anything other than ATF 4 transmission fluid was used this is may be the cause. That includes fluids that say they are multi vehicle compatible etc. First thing I would do is find out what fluid the transmission has in it and then decide if I am convinced its true. |
|
| Author: | Ghostknight [ Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:11 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Transmission problems |
Quote: What kind of service? Was the service performed before the problem with it or after? What fluid was put in the transmission? If anything other than ATF 4 transmission fluid was used this is may be the cause. That includes fluids that say they are multi vehicle compatible etc. First thing I would do is find out what fluid the transmission has in it and then decide if I am convinced its true. It was a regular transmission service, new filters, 5 quarts of transmission fluid. I took it in to have it serviced after the problems started. They wanted to put a multi-vehicle ATF in but I insisted only ATF+4 and they put in what I wanted. |
|
| Author: | TKB4 [ Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Transmission problems |
Remember the transmission actually holds a total of 14.1 quarts so a regular transmission service only changes a little over a third of the fluid but That being said, unless it had a very large amount of miles since change or the wrong fluid was in it before the change its probably not fluid related. I would however make sure it is at least a quart above the full mark on Trans dipstick. Its difficult to tell you how to tell if its in TC lockup but if you get up to 65mph on the speedometer with overdrive on and it shifts and shows about 1900 to 2000rpm then you accelerate slowly and the rpm rises slowly to about 2200 at 70mph you are likely to be in TC lockup. |
|
| Author: | WWDiesel [ Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Transmission problems |
Did it start right after they did the service on it? Are your SURE they put the correct ATF fluid in it and did they use OEM filters or some cheap aftermarket ones? Filters can make a difference. Most good transmission shops or a dealer can flush/swap out ALL the transmission fluid using a pump/filter flushing servicing machine.
|
|
| Author: | Ghostknight [ Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Transmission problems |
Quote: Its difficult to tell you how to tell if its in TC lockup but if you get up to 65mph on the speedometer with overdrive on and it shifts and shows about 1900 to 2000rpm then you accelerate slowly and the rpm rises slowly to about 2200 at 70mph you are likely to be in TC lockup. That sounds normal. Also, not what I have going on at the moment. Sounds like the TC may just not be working. How long can I go with it like this? Will it mess up my transmission? And this would explain the problems all the way through the range of gears, not just the overdrive? Quote: Did it start right after they did the service on it? Are your SURE they put the correct ATF fluid in it and did they use OEM filters or some cheap aftermarket ones? Filters can make a difference. No, I took it for service because of the problem. The fluid is 100% the right fluid. I have no idea what filters they used. whether or not that was all 100% right, this was happening well before I changed the fluid and filters. |
|
| Author: | Diesel Dan [ Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Transmission problems |
WWDiesel wrote: Most good transmission shops or a dealer can flush/swap out ALL the transmission fluid using a pump/filter flushing servicing machine. ![]() Are power flush machines ok on our transmissions? It is a no go for the Allison. |
|
| Author: | TKB4 [ Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Transmission problems |
Personally I never allow a shop to do a flush on my transmissions . The first time I remove pan drain that fluid then put a drain in the pan and replace filters then fill with fluid. I then remove return line (place splice in it) and start engine and add more fluid until fresh fluid coming out which means all the fluid in torque converter cooler etc has been removed and I have added the full 14 plus quarts of fluid . An alternative would be to do three standard changes within a fairly short number of miles a few thousand (changing filters once) this will exchange about 75 % or so of the fluid,then about every 25,000 miles or whatever interval you choose I certainly wouldn't recommend over 50,000. |
|
| Author: | layback40 [ Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Transmission problems |
Its very noticeable when the TC locks. will lock below 60mph. Once locked, if you put your foot down a little it will not increase rpm much except for what you would expect with speed increase. If not locked, it will jump around 600 rpm instantly when you put your foot down a little. Its a bit like a slipping clutch on a manual. |
|
| Author: | Ghostknight [ Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Transmission problems |
Yeah it sounds like it's not locking up. I'm gonna take it to transmission shop as soon I get this turbo hose delivered and installed. I'll update on what is happening when I know more. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|